IGNORED

Thought I'd Like Louder but....

Well, I thought I'd like my 86 lst Edition louder so I installed a brand new set of Macs, heck they could be Jardines for all I know as they look exactly alike and boy did I have a hard time finding them. But after riding it for a few months and about 1000 miles, I couldn't wait to get the thing quieted down to stock noise levels again but I had to wait for a set of the double down turn extensions. Finally obtained those from another member here so I could reinstall the stock mufflers. She is back to being quiet. If I want noisy, I can always take my Ultra out for a spin and I really don't mind a loud sounding Harley; two cylinders of 750 cc each sure do sound differently that four cylinders of 325 each. Maybe someone here will want these Macs, don't know in this economy. I will be posting them in the Classifieds here real soon. Silence is golden.

While a loud vehicle is fun to play with once in a while, If you do any distance at a steady speed it gets to be real obnoxious real quick.

I hear of way to many people that wear earplugs so that they can ride, that is just not safe.

Off my soapbox now.......

While a loud vehicle is fun to play with once in a while, If you do any distance at a steady speed it gets to be real obnoxious real quick.

I hear of way to many people that wear earplugs so that they can ride, that is just not safe.

Yes, sound can reduce endurance. I've put my stock pipes back on. I'll let the guys who ride from bar to bar be loud; I've got hundreds of miles to go.

FWIW, my earplugs attenuate very loud sound, but I can hear spoken conversation and music. I can also hear sirens and horns.

Dave

I liked the BUBS that came with the bike for the first few months of the season then the sound became intrusive for the long rides I typically do. The next season I put the stock exhaust on and enjoy the peace and quiet of the open road.

:2cents: Loud pipes don't save lives - Defensive driving saves lives!

I purchased my 87 with either Mac's or Jardine's (couldn't tell ) already installed by the PO. While waiting to locate a decent set of OEM's, a buddy of mine gave me a set of Road King mufflers with some cosmetic damage. Just for grins I took the time to make up the reducer / adapter and mounted them up. Danged if they didn't sound good, deep and throaty without the small block chevy sound of the Macs. I located a great deal on the OEMs and ended up installing them as well. My girlfriend thinks they look better and she never has said whether she prefers the subdued exhaust note, but I am pretty sure thats part of it. I still swap them out from time to time, just because it easy to do and I still like the rumble...............

I completely disagree. I've been wearing earplugs for the last 20 years, and all the motorcycles I've ever owned have had stock exhaust systems.

Earplugs remove the mechanical noise, and also the wind noise. On the Venture, when opening the throttle, there's the intake roar I prefer not to hear. Wearing earplugs does not interfere with my hearing good sounds like car horns, etc.

I recommend wearing earplugs, regardless of what kind of exhaust system your bike has. The are perfectly safe. I contend earplugs make riding motorcycles safer!

Off my soapbox now........

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

my 85 has jardines on it and i really dont find it loud at all. it just has a nice rumble to it when its idling or runniing on the street or hiway. Even when i roll all the way on it, it has a bark, but its definitely not unbearable. Ive ridden my bike from Kamloops BC to Regina sk in about 19 hours and I never felt the noise was stressing me.

I have ridden with other guys that have loud pipes and have had to get in front of them to bring the noise levels down, so I know I am not completely deaf......yet......:whistling:

Brian

I installed a set of Ultra Classic mufflers on my 07 RSV. I drilled out the baffles. I think it's just right. Not offeensive to me at all. Now my wifes 07 Shadow has Vance & Hines pipes. Not the short shots. Baffle is about 18 inches long on each pipe. This is borderline for me. She loves it.