IGNORED

Lack of grease on new 07

Pilot

Last night I decided to drop the rear wheel on my NEW 07 (146 miles on her) and check the clutch pins, clutch hub drive splines and drive shaft splines for the amount of grease on them. As you can see by the attached pictures the amount of or should I say the (LACK OF GREASE) on them was ridicules. The pictures of the drive shaft are bit blurry to see but I’ll tell you that the amount of grease on all these parts from the factory would not amount to much more then a tablespoon full. If you have not checked these parts for adequate grease I would highly recommend that you do. It may just save you a lot of aggravation down the road. I'm very glade that I decided to do it, now I can ride without worry. The pictures prove that you can’t trust Yamaha to do it. The repair cost of all the Ventures due to the lack of grease on these bikes from the factory must be costing Mama Yama a bundle in warranty work. You would think that the powers that be at Yamaha would have addressed this by now.

If you look at the picture of the drive shaft you will see the seal (red arrow) that bonded itself in the final drive assembly on my 03 due to what I believe was a lack of grease. If you remember I had a lot of trouble removing the drive shaft from the final drive. After asking on this forum why it would not come free as it was supposed to I figured out that it was this seal, which has a metal ring imbedded in the rubber bonded to the inside of the final drive (due to friction) and prevented the drive shaft from coming out. I had to pry this seal out in order to remove the drive shaft. So if you take yours apart and the drive shaft want’s to stay in the final drive assemble this may be your problem.

Grease??... what grease??? I think I'd be screaming at Yamaha about that!

I don't think it would do much good. They should know about it by now, they just have not fixed the issue.

Like the commercial says "We build it, you make it your own" I guess that means you fix what we didn't.............

i just got a new 07 about a month ago.....have about 250 miles.....how tough is it to drop the rear wheel.....i have the service manual...........

Go here for directions on how to drop the rear wheel"

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002014&id=323

This one will show you the splines that need grease:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002006&id=230

This one will give you some info on the drive shaft:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002006&id=338

Other information on this site:

Rear hub lubrication:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263

Rear End Noise

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1705

You will find a few links here for lifts and adapters, lots of people use the sears model, any one you buy will need to be modified, I did my own mod using hardwood.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

The drive shaft will come out after you remove the final drive assemble, putting it back in is a pain in the #$$ but with patience it can be done, if I can do it you can. You will need a lift to do this job. It's a bit scarry the first time you lift the bike this far off the ground. Do a search on this site for "lift". The Venturers web site has a lot of information on the venture and it's free to download. If you have any questions just post them here and someone will get back to you. It took me around 4 hours to do the job but this was the 4th time I have removed the wheel and the second time I have removed and re-installed the drive shaft and final drive assemble on a venture. Hope this helps a bit.

Or take the bike back to the dealer with copies of this information and have them check for grease.

• 1 year later...
My 2006 was the same way, except I didn't drop my wheel until the rubber needed replaced at 9K. I'm surprised they don't have more warranty claims.

Same here on my 07, and I reminded the shop to grease everything while the tire was off, but I wasn't there to see them do it and keep thinking I should check myself.. But so far I don't have a lift or a center stand to do it.

I had a problem with noise in the rearend during a trip to the Southwest last summer. My dealer here in N.C. had installed a new tire and I explicity asked that they grease the rear splines and the shaft as well as the hub fingers. At about 3500 miles into my trip I started hearing a clicking sound on decelaration. I had never heard any noise from the rearend before. I made calls to Yamaha, my dealer, and a few dealers in the area ( Southern Colorado ). Yamaha said to take it to a dealer in the area but none of them would touch it. All of them in the area were snowmobile and dirtbike mechanics. My dealer said to ride it home and they would fix it. I decided to risk it as we had a sag wagon with us as well as 8 other bikes. When I got home I took it straight to the dealer and watched them tear it down. It had no grease on it as well as the bushings in the hub had moved out of position and were coming into contact with the hub. They replaced all the bushings and applied plenty of grease on all the parts. I have put 7000 more miles and have had no more problems. As for the mechanic that installed the tire and was supposed to grease the splines he will never work on my bike again. He was repremanded by the dealership but that was all. You just about can't trust any shop unless you see it with your own two eyes.

Bryan - that's the trouble I'm having. The oil seal is not listed on the Yamaha parts schematic that shows the drive shaft end that fits into the gear coupling in the differential - it shows the snap ring but not the oil seal or the washer that butts up against it.

GeorgeS has listed part #93101-38098-00, but did not know if that would work on my bike - 2000 RSV with 8000 miles.

Am I missing something?

I personally do not own a Second Gen. Venture but work on a number of new motorcycles in the area I live in. I mentioned this in another thread just the other day where I am seeing blatant disregard during the New Cycle prep. by the dealers in my area. Now, don't get me wrong, I am VERY grateful for all of the extra work I have been getting lately, on brand new or nearly new cycles as a result of the carelessness of the local dealers but I would be "less than thrilled" if I spent all of the money you all have spent for a new scoot and then have to take it to someone like me, just to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart the next time they rode it. I now have a few customers that bring all of their bikes to me for a "once over" even before that take it on their first ride! I am shocked as to what I have found on these bikes with under 10 miles on them. On Thursday, a man trailered his new scoot to my shop, for the "once over"! I didn't even know him! Seems a friend told him about all of the things I found bad on his bike and this customer just brought his bike over! Unfortunately, I have very little respect for the Dealers in my area, sad, but true.

James, this was excellent information to pass on to all of the 2nd Gen. owners.

Thank You,

Earl

I bought a new 2008 RSV last Aug. after 5 weeks I had a lowering kit put on and while the dealer was @ it he checked the drive shaft splines. They were worn out. He orderd new parts and installed them @ Yamaha's expence.

I think Yamaha has poor quality control.

This should be told to as many riders as possible, so maybe the word will get out to Yamaha and the will be forced to improve.

I would recomend every one have there drive shaft splines checked if they have not had it done.

Johnny :thumbdown:

• 2 months later...

I noticed a clicking sound yesterday. My scoot only has 7500 Kilometers on it. Found this thread (and a couple others)... jacked her up and pulled the wheel... sure enuf .... there wasn't enuf grease there to ... (you fill in the blank!)

Cleaned everything up and greased properly....no more clicking!

I would suspect that is probably their normal proceedure. I would be interesting to get input from Yamah execs as to this.

I spoke to yamaha, they said they know about this issue, but it doesn't look like, they care, ( fix it under warranty Im told)

so every time, you put a new tire on the bike, make sure, the shop, loads the hub with Honda Grease ( I mean pack IT!!!!!)

Greas the S*#t out of it.

2 tires later, no issues