IGNORED

E-Reader

Yammer Dan

I've been thinking about getting one of those myself. I'm a "readaholic" :). I've got the "Kindle for PC" program downloaded onto both my desktop and laptop and have downloaded a few books so far to the laptop. Quite a few of the free/very cheap Kindle "books" are ones that are out of print or very hard to find, especially in the sci fi genre that is one of my favorites. I can't justify paying $140 for the Kindle itself right now and the PC program is free.

BTW the $139 Kindle was listed as a Best Buy by Consumer Reports. I will probably get it when I can pop loose the funds for it.

:mo money:

Since it's a Borders version, you might want to see what formats it accepts. There a some e readers that will accept more than one, giving you a wider choice of books and sources for them.

It is a Borders E-Reader. Guess I got some learning to do. Holds Pics, Video clips, Books and some other things haven't read it all yet. Another Puter for me to mess up.

You can read? :sign20:

Oh by the way, I started Sugar today. She started just fine....:thumbsup2:

I hate to tell you, but them women are getting pretty old by now....

I like the Books with a lot of Pics in them. I have some 1963 Playboys in great condition!! And I have Farah in gold!!!! And Vanna White!

Well... so is he! :rotf::rotf:

When we were looking for wifey for xmas, we found out that the Kindle was not compatable to the Canadian library system... I believe the format was EPUB (or something like that) for the library books. I am not familar with the Borders model. If you go to your closest library's website I am sure there will be info telling you the type of file reader you need, and of course a catolog of available books ..... merry xmas you lucky dog!!!

My in-laws gave my wife a Kindle for Christmas.

The display is very impressive. Looks just like paper. What little I messed with it it looks like it probably does a great job as a reader. It's got a qwerty keyboard which gives me trouble because I touch type and don't "know" where the keys should be, just which finger. Unfortunately keyboard way too small for fingers........ I also really wanted to use the touch screen it doesn't have.

Apparently the epub is standard for library books. My wife mentioned that the Kindle wouldn't do the epub library books (stateside). She wanted a kindle because of the stuff that's available that is not in print at all.

BTW, it does text to speech. I assume the Borders one does also. So Dan can enjoy his even if he can't read.......

I got a Kobo for Christmas and you just download stuff to it using your wirelessl connection like your laptop does, or, it hooks up to your computer so you can shop forbooks online and then sync them to the Kodo. The screen looks like paper and ink so its real easy to read and you get super long battery life as it only works when changing pages or uploading stuff.

The Kobo was easy to set up to my wireless, and its nice and light and a bit smaller than the Kindle. It doesnt have the Qwerty keyboard like the KIndle but its still prett easy inputting info using the onscreen keyboard. (its not a touch screen you use the controller in the bottom right corner) It comes loaded with about 100 books, but new books are CHeap compared to paper books. I downloaded Ken Folletts Fall of Giants for 5.99. I also get my daily local newspaper and PC Magazine downloaded to it, and its gonna be great not having to take all the old newspapers out to the recyclers.

Brian

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereading/devices/Kobo-eReader-Black/817866000033-item.html?cookieCheck=1

Edited by friesman
link

You got First Gen Manuals on that thing yet?

I was thinking about that too. You can use a USB on it so could load all bike stuff to that one. Wish I had done something more to learn Computers but kicking convicts butts was more to left hook and Jujitsu maneuvers.

I just downloaded the manuals for the 85-85's to my computer and because they were pdf format it was easy to upload to the sd card I had in the Kobo expansion slot. this will make it handy to work on the bike when you can have then manuals with you all the time.

Brian

Some helpful info:

Free books at : http://www.gutenberg.org

" Project Gutenberg is the place where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device.

We carry high quality ebooks: Our ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers and digitized by us with the help of thousands of volunteers.

All our ebooks can be freely downloaded: Choose between ePub, Kindle, HTML and simple text formats. "

free software that will change ebook to a different format (mobi to epun, etc.) also convert html to format of choice (you can save any Word document to html):

http://calibre-ebook.com/

"calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books. It has a cornucopia of features divided into the following main categories:

• Library Management calibre manages your e-book collection for you. It is designed around the concept of the logical book, i.e., a single entry in your library that may correspond to actual e-book files in several formats.
    calibre can sort the books in your library by: Title, Author, Date added, Date published, Size, Rating, Series, etc.

In addition, it supports extra searchable metadata:
    • Tags: A flexible system for categorizing your collection however you like
    • Comments: A long form entry that you can use for book description, notes, reviews, etc.

You can easily search your book collection for a particular book. calibre supports searching any and all of the fields mentioned above. You can construct advanced search queries by clicking the helpful "Advanced search" button to the left of the search bar.

You can export arbitrary subsets of your collection to your hard disk arranged in a fully customizable folder structure.

Finally, calibre will even go out onto the internet to find book metadata based on existing title/author or ISBN information. It can download various types of metadata and covers for your books, automatically. The metadata system is written using plugins so that different types of metadata sources can be supported in the future.

[*]E-book conversion calibre can convert from a huge number of formats to a huge number of formats. It supports all the major e-book formats. The full list of formats can be found here.

The conversion engine has lots of powerful features. It can rescale all font sizes, ensuring the output e-book is readable no matter what font sizes the input document uses. It can automatically detect/create book structure, like chapters and Table of Contents. It can insert the book metadata into a "Book Jacket" at the start of the book.

[*]Syncing to e-book reader devices calibre has a modular device driver design that makes adding support for different e-reader devices easy. At the moment, it has support for a large number of devices, the complete list of which is here. Syncing supports updating metadata on the device from metadata in the library and creation of collections on the device based on the tags defined in the library. If a book has more than one format available, calibre automatically chooses the best format when uploading to the device. If none of the formats is suitable, calibre will automatically convert the e-book to a format suitable for the device before sending it.

[*]Downloading news from the web and converting it into e-book form

calibre can automatically fetch news from websites or RSS feeds, format the news into a ebook and upload to a connected device. The ebooks include the full versions of the articles, not just the summaries. Examples of supported news sites include:

• The New York Times
    • The Wall Street Journal
    • The Economist
    • Time
    • Newsweek
    • The Guardian
    • ESPN
    • and many, many more…

calibre has over three hundred news sources and the news system is plugin based, allowing users to easily create and contribute new sources to calibre. As a result the collection of news sources keeps on growing!

If you are interested in adding support for a news site, read the User Manual. Once you have successfully created a new recipe, you can share it with other users by posting it in the calibre forum http://calibre-ebook.com/site_media//img/external.png or sending it to the calibre developers for inclusion in calibre.

[*]Comprehensive e-book viewer calibre has a built-in ebook viewer that can display all the major ebook formats. It has full support for Table of Contents, bookmarks, CSS, a reference mode, printing, searching, copying, customizing the rendering via a user style sheet, embedded fonts, etc.

[*]Content server for online access to your book collection calibre has a built-in web server that allows you to access your ebook collection using a simple browser from any computer anywhere in the world. It can also email your books and downloaded news to you automatically. It has support for mobile devices, so you can browse your collection and download books from your smartphone, Kindle, etc.

I have the Nook e-reader and use these two links all the time.

:group cheers: