I am looking for the name of the grommet that holds the top lid down in the front. I call the top lid the lid that you have to remove to service the air filter, (not the air filter box lid), it is held in the back by the one phillips screw and washers.

My front lid is wanting to come up as I am driving, and I think there is supposed to be a grommet that it presses into in the front, or under all the wiring.

Does anyone have one for sale or send me in the right direction with a part number, or that has come up with another method to hold the top lid down?

Forgive me if I am calling the top lid by the wrong name, I tried searching using a lot of different phrases and came up empty.:thumbsup2:

It is an 89 Venture.

This is the one I am going to fix the fuse panel on this winter.

Thanks,

Don

Don-

The 'damper' (#32) or large grommet on the false tank cover may or may not be the issue. Also check the grommet (#33), collar (#34) and bolt (#35) that secure it inside the fuel tank flap.

If the securing mechanism isn't working properly, it allows the false tank cover to shift forward and the disengage the front locking grommet (damper). I had mine pop up on me going 80+ on the way to Wendover. After I fixed the bolt system, I've never had another problem.

Dave

ps. #28 is a trim piece (I thought the same thing at first)

And if you really want to snug it up........and feel like tearing into the bike a bit.........

Where the false tank cover is retained with the screw under the fuel access door the screw goes into a bracket. That bracket is held in place by four bolts, two on each side. You can loosen those four bolts a bit and that bracket can be rotated a little front or rear. I made a grommet out of rubber tubing and then rotated the bracket towards the rear of the bike a bit and the cover tightened right up. No more shakey. But then again I found that out while I had my gas tank out and all the plastic was off. I think you can reach those bolts by just removing the side panels.

Mike

Below is a link to a thread that addressed this issue.

I was having similar problems with my 83 at somewhat high speeds.

I attached a spacer to the front grommet that seems to have cured the problem.

It has been tested at quite high speeds and not come loose.

About 3/4 of the was down in thread linked are some pictures.

Snaggletooth's solution quite possibly will work, I quit trying after I did this.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51760

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for the replies and suggestions, part numbers and links to purchase the items. I ended up using a piece of 1/4 fuel hose, cut it about 5" in lenght, split it the length of the hose and formed it around the metal tab the top lid fits into.

Used an oversize washer at the mount near the gas tank and all is secure.

Went on a ride today, alhough only 25 miles, but had speeds up to 65 and top lid was all still and quiet.