IGNORED

MC Tire Changer

Tom

Have on of them and the motorcycle adapter - works well. You just need to remember to lube everthing well and to also fasten the thing down because you do apply a good of amount of twist to it when mounting tires.

Okay, RandyA how was that for chiming in

Merry Christmas to all,

The motorcycle adaptor is no longer being made, so be sure you can find one in stock somewhere before you spend the money on the base unit!

I just happened to see one being returned a couple of weeks ago to one of the local stores here (Irving, TX), so let me know if you want me to go check to see if they still have it.

Goose

this is so ture, they no longer make them. called six habor freight stores. i made my own wasnt hard at all. used 14 inch car rim. if i knew how to draw on here i`ed post a drawing of it. maybe take a pic and download that if anyone interested.

Those home tire changers are nice, but there is a small tire store near me that will mount a motorcycle tire for $8 if I bring the tire and wheel to him....

you might check around before buying a home unit.

Im going to do that..I bought a new rim and tire for the GW and putting a CT on that rim for when I do Long trips since its so easy to take the rear tire and wheel off (5 lug nuts)

I've had the Harbor Freight tire changer and motorcycle adapter for over three years now. I mounted it onto a small slab of concrete outside my work area. I have five motorcycles and my brother has two Harleys. I use it alot every year keeping up with the tire wear on my primary riding bikes ('83 Venture, '77 BMW R100RS and '89 BMW R100GS). My Brother brings his Harley wheels to me to change his tires also. I almost have him trained to do it himself.

I also built a tire balancer so I can keep my tires rolling smooth. The wheels spin on a horizontal threaded shaft, secured with threaded cones and supported on roller bearing on the two ends. I can get them withing a 1/4 oz. weight with alittle patience. This is with spoked and cast wheels.

My tire changer lives outside and has held up really well. I buy my tire lube online by the 9 lb. bucket at a truck oriented tire repair site. I also made up my tire and tube roadside repair kits by picking up the rubber glue, patches and plug kits from online sites.

this is so ture, they no longer make them. called six habor freight stores. i made my own wasnt hard at all. used 14 inch car rim. if i knew how to draw on here i`ed post a drawing of it. maybe take a pic and download that if anyone interested.

I made one similar to the one in THIS ARTICLE. I did two things differently: 1) Instead of putting tape on the wheel rim I split a piece of fuel hose and pushed it on, 2) I used a long rod so I could put an extra nut and a length of 2x2 on. That piece of 2x2 is real handy to tuck the handle of an iron under giving a "3rd" hand to hold the bead down while you work around the wheel. The whole deal ended up costing me about $20.

Frankly, I preferred the home made rig to the HF one the Mrs. got me when I opened the shop (I've since gone to an automatic tire changer). I only keep the HF one around to use on the odd small rim that won't go in my automatic machine. The homemade rig also takes up much less storage space.

Those home tire changers are nice, but there is a small tire store near me that will mount a motorcycle tire for $8 if I bring the tire and wheel to him....

you might check around before buying a home unit.

WOW, $40.00 around here......

WOW am i getting a good deal!!!!!

If I had to pay $40 to get a tire mounted I would be seriously looking at a home M/C tire changer.

Yes, you ARE getting a phenomenal deal! I've heard of shops that will do it for $20, but I suspect you have found the one and only shop on this continent that will do it for less than $10.

Goose

Im going to do that..I bought a new rim and tire for the GW and putting a CT on that rim for when I do Long trips since its so easy to take the rear tire and wheel off (5 lug nuts)

You had to buy one?

My dealer gave me one :mo money: more:twing: gas :mo money: to ride:7_6_3[1]:

• 3 months later...
I bought a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire balancer. it works GREAT.

I am planning to buy a balancer, looked at one at Daytona selling for $125. Saw one from HF today. How does the HF product hold up? Does the stand stay at a right angle? Are the cones and bearings good quality? Granted it is only ($50), but if its no good, thats not a value. Thanks for advice.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Is this what you guys use to change your tires..Harbor Freight Tire Changer that is? If so I may order one....then solicit help figuring out how the heck it works! http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-34542.html

ALso don't forget about the Motorcycle Wheel Balancing Stand. They also sale the stick on weights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

weights

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Balancing+weights

Video of STATIC BALANCE

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBzviKTPMrg]YouTube - Static Motorcycle Wheel Balancer from No-Mar[/ame]

Edited by Al Bates

Al Bates: How does the balancer work. I've made many purchases from HF and certain

precision products I would question the quality. If I knew how the tool tells you where to put the weight and it works good, I would consider picking one up. Does it work for car tires also?