IGNORED

Trailer wiring harnes

KAWoodworth

For those of you that have trailer wiring harnes, where did you route all the wires? Did you drill a whole on the rear fender to run then inside the fender or run them some how along the outside of the to the hitch? I bought a plug and play set up that connects under the seat.

Thanks

For those of you that have trailer wiring harnes, where did you route all the wires? Did you drill a whole on the rear fender to run then inside the fender or run them some how along the outside of the to the hitch? I bought a plug and play set up that connects under the seat.

Thanks

I think it all depends on your trailer setup. If you need to install a 5 to 4 converter then I'd think under the seat, but if you have a 5 wire trailer, and don't need to convert, you could connect inside the taillight housing and come out of the base??

Mine is wired in by the battery, and runs back under the seat, then runs down between the fender and chrome saddlebag mount. I then have it secured to my hitch.

You can see it in this pic. The wires are inside a black corrugated sleeve now, though.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/IMG_3859.jpg

The kit I bought has a sub harness which plugs in under the seat to the existing RSV plug. Then there was the 5 wire to 4 wire converter harness which plugged in to that. Then another harness which connects to the 5 to 4 converter and it has the long wires which then go back to the hitch area and it also has a 15 amp fuse to connect to the battery. I was looking for the best way to route the wires from tha last harness back to the hitch area, inside or outside the rear fender. Also the 5 to 4 wire converter and the last harness have these big black brick like things with the wires coming out of them wich are too big for under the seat.

I used a 5 to 4 adapter under the seat. Brought wires out under the seat to the right side. Wrapped the harness wires with black electriclal tape for appearance. Tucked it in behind the chrome piece that supports the rear grab bar and travel trunk supports. Followed the curve down to the back, used black zip-ties several places, keeping the tape wrapped wiring harness hidden behind that chrome piece. Brought it out near the bottom of the chrome piece. 1st pic also shows quick connect for battery tender. 2nd pic shows going behind the chrome piece. 3rd pic obviously is connector end of harness.

When I hook up the trailer I just pull it out and plug it in. I did not fabricate a permanent mount for the connector. I think some of the guys really clean it up by mounting the connector similar to a factory job on a car or truck.

P.S. I changed the trailer bulbs to LED's. The extra lights now have minimal effect on the factory flasher unit.

Edited by Mel
Additional info.

Thanks

I tie wrapped it to the bar that runs under the hard bag. With the bag off it's easy to run. Get some plastic wire conduit first to protect the wiring.

Thanks

If I was to do it again. I would run the extra wire. If you change to LED's they don't like the 5 to 4. You may have to use a resister to keep both sides from flashing with the turn signal.

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards just wrapping the wires in black electical tape and running then along the outside of the fender. To try and drill a whole through the fender and run the wires that way sure seens like it would hae been a lot of extra work.

I wired my Hoppy powered converter to the area behind the battery and ran the wiring under the rear seat and under the trunk. I zip-tied the connector under the left rear corner of the trunk bracket. Its completely out of sight yet easily accessable. I also use the trailer wiring harness to splice in the extrs lights I have in the rear, rather then stuffing them into the taillight housing. :smile5: