IGNORED

using checks vs electronic payments

RandyR

I just had to start a new check register. Its funny thats its still called a check register because between Nov 2009 and Dec 2010 I wrote 12 checks in 13 months.

So, thats less than 1 a month.

Most of the checks were for taxes of one form or another. But the local tax office now takes debit cards, so I suppose most of the checks I did write were really unnecessary.

I fact, it appears that a check I wrote to The Ponderosa in Cody WY, which doesn't take cards and the 2 checks to buy my 2000MM RSV in April were the only checks I wrote that couldn't have been done electronically.

The number of check registers I get when buying a box of checks doesn't last and I go to the bank once a year or so to get a new register, and cant remember the last time I actually bought my checks. Maybe 5 years ago when the bank changed ownership and its name and account numbers?

Yup, I average about 6-10 checks a year.

I do not even bother with the register anymore, other than to record the checks written and who they went to, I watch my account activity online regularly and just know what is supposed to be in my checking at any given moment. I have my accounr set up that I get an email every time there is a deposit or withdrawal, so that I know instantly if something is amiss.

There is one place that I have to send a check to once a year and it takes them almost 2 months to deposit it.

I just ordered 50 more checks and was surprised at how expensive they were and the shipping semed like a lot. I use Bank of America. I am also down to writing very few checks and don't even use a check register anymore. I used to balance my checkbook to the PENNY every month and now I just monitor it on line. I use my debit card for about everything. I have automatic deposit from work, but seldomly ever go thru the ATM. It is just so convient to do the extra cash at Walmart or other places that take my debit card.

RandyA

I just ordered 50 more checks and was surprised at how expensive they were and the shipping semed like a lot. I use Bank of America. I am also down to writing very few checks and don't even use a check register anymore. I used to balance my checkbook to the PENNY every month and now I just monitor it on line. I use my debit card for about everything. I have automatic deposit from work, but seldomly ever go thru the ATM. It is just so convient to do the extra cash at Walmart or other places that take my debit card.

RandyA

Concerning prices for checks at BOA. I get a flyer every week from a 3rd party check printing company. http://BradfordExchangeChecks.com that I'll use when I do need to order any more checks.

Guest scarylarry

Be very careful on automatic withdrawls for payment, water company been wanting to set me up on that for a while now I do pay online thru my bank, been a few years back I got a bill little over 1300.00 dollars, I knew then something was wrong, so they check it out and found THEY missed read the meter...WHEW.

After all said and done I ask the lady if I had auto pay would this been drawn out she said yes, then I asked who would cover the bounce checks? She went blank..

In the 80's I averaged (just a personal account) about 80 checks a month. Now, maybe 6 a year.

I have a spreadsheet that I set up as a register for my debit card and checks and I also use it to keep track of every fill-up and fuel mileage for my truck and both bikes.

RandyA

Create your own checks, you do not need to buy checks from another source.

http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/printyourchecks.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_4665212_print-own-checks.html

Concerning prices for checks at BOA. I get a flyer every week from a 3rd party check printing company. http://BradfordExchangeChecks.com that I'll use when I do need to order any more checks.

as luck would have it, i realized i needed checks today.... using the site you gave saved me 30% over where i was previously purchasing them....thanks !!

:dancefool: :fatsmiley: :happy65: :thumbsup2: