IGNORED

BUB slip ons

heatonmt

Yep, have had them on my 2000 TD since I bought her with 1600 miles. Original owner put them on but didn't richen up the carbs, so she popped some. Took care of that and she sounded great, with many a compliment from HD riders. At almost 50k miles they still sound fine. There's been many a thread about Bub's on here. It's an easy change.

Guest tx2sturgis

Bubs are a nice addition to the bike, but you need to be aware of one downside:

The chrome plating on the aluminum endcaps (or tips) will probably begin to peel and flake off most likely within a year of installation. This is due to the heat related expansion and contraction of the billet pieces.

Some owners have removed the tips and had them powdercoated black. Or a color that matches your bike is always a good choice.

However, being from the 'old-school', where worn leather jacket and gloves, torn levis, scuffed boots and scars on your face or hands mean you have been around for awhile, some peeling chrome on the endcaps is not a big deal to me.

Just thought you'd like to know about it.

Somebody posted the other day that Bub was going back to the non-plated aluminum end caps as they used when they first introduced these mufflers. I think that would be a good decision on their part. They went to chrome because that's what people kept asking for but it was obviously not a good decision.

I just rebuilt a set of Bub's that I picked up from our classy's. The body's were decent, but the tips were pealing, so I had the chrome removed completely and had them professionally polished out.

When I originally called Bub, thinking I might just buy another set, the gal that ran sales said they were going back to aluminum and the replacements would be $110 a pair. It was a no brainer.... I buffed 'm out. Cost, $40 bucks.

Since they are rebuildable I went ahead and took them apart. They came off a 2006 RSV so it's possible the milage would have been around 30-40,000, and when I removed the baffle there wasn't any packing left except a few little tuffs. They must have been louder than 'H'. After doing some surfing on the web I find that the reason the packing disappears is that FiberGlass gets brittle when it gets hot and crumbles. It's then blown out in the exhaust flow. I repacted them with a Ceramic batten. It's supposed to be better. We'll see. It's raining and cold, and I ain't gonna go out and work on anything.... :)

One thing I'd like to know is when re-jetting, what size jets did everyone use?? My Gen2 is a 99RSV.

Bubs are a nice addition to the bike, but you need to be aware of one downside:

The chrome plating on the aluminum endcaps (or tips) will probably begin to peel and flake off most likely within a year of installation. This is due to the heat related expansion and contraction of the billet pieces.

Some owners have removed the tips and had them powdercoated black. Or a color that matches your bike is always a good choice.

However, being from the 'old-school', where worn leather jacket and gloves, torn levis, scuffed boots and scars on your face or hands mean you have been around for awhile, some peeling chrome on the endcaps is not a big deal to me.

Just thought you'd like to know about it.

A can of flat black bbq grill touch up paint will work just as well and is only about 8 bucks.

A can of flat black bbq grill touch up paint will work just as well and is only about 8 bucks.

Is that before or after you strip the chrome off?? If it's before, what are you doing to keep the rest of the chrome from flaking off and messing up the paint job??

Is that before or after you strip the chrome off?? If it's before, what are you doing to keep the rest of the chrome from flaking off and messing up the paint job??

I didn't have to, the chrome peeled right off long before. I only sanded 'em to remove nicks and make 'em smooth. If you're thinking of trying it, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

I didn't have to, the chrome peeled right off long before. I only sanded 'em to remove nicks and make 'em smooth. If you're thinking of trying it, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Didn't ride to work today but I can post pics later if you want

WOW!! You're lucky. I'm no tip expert, but the tips still had a lot of the chrome attached and it took a bunch to grind it off. I think if all the chrome had come off like yours I would have seriously considered the black paint route. However I'm pretty happy with the results I achieved.

Edited by Condor

WOW!! You're lucky. I no tip expert, but my tips still had a lot of the chrome attached and it took a bunch to grind it off. I think if all the chrome had come off like yours I would have seriously considered the black paint route. However I'm pretty happy with the results I achieved.

If you're happy with 'em that's all that matters :thumbsup2:

I bought my 2000 RSV used in 2007. It already had BUBS on it at the time. The endcaps were almost completely devoid of any chrome. I didn't like the looks of them, and I thought they were way too loud. I didn't know anything them about them at the time, so I sold them for very little money to someone here on VR. I wish I had known that they could be re-packed and the endcaps painted or powder coated. Oh well, live and learn. I then tried the stock exhaust but it was way too quiet for my taste. Next, I bought the HD touring mounting kit, also sold here, and put on a set of used Road King mufflers I got cheap from a friend. They were also too quiet, even with both baffles removed. Finally, I picked up a set of BUB HD Sleeper slip-ons from EBAY. The fiberglass inside was still intact so I loved the sound (finally). However, it did not take long for the endcaps to begin peeling. I got a set of these (also on EBAY for only $40!). They've been on for more than a year and almost 12,000 miles with not a hint of peeling. I know you can't get them from BUB anymore, but you might get lucky and find them cheap on line like I did. Love my BUBs now. Don from PA.

http://www.bub.com/Bub_Accessories.cfm?pa=detail&zsb=0&pn=24%2D2914CR%2F1

Wow. those look great now. Did you have them sealed so they won't tarnish or do you need to worry about that?

I'm going to shot them with some clear before installing them. I don't know if they make a hi-temp clear, but they make everything else. So if they do I'll find it.... Maybe the same stuff Y uses on the side covers. It takes 25 years for that to yellow, and I'll probably be long gone before that happens..... :backinmyday::rotf:

how mush time does it take to change out slip-ons. Do I need new donut gaskets or can I reuse the old ones. Is it a must to re-tune the carbs.

It all depends on how far you want to go. You can pull them, drill them, disassemble them, toss in some packing, and reassemble in about an hour if Murphy isn't around. A little longer if you want to use screen etcs. I don't think you'll need any gaskets. I just picked up a set from another member...just because, and their ID is the same as the ID on the Bub's. So you may not even need gaskets?? I'm sure someone else will jump in here to let us know one way or another as I haven't installed mine yet.

how mush time does it take to change out slip-ons. Do I need new donut gaskets or can I reuse the old ones. Is it a must to re-tune the carbs.

It takes about an hour to do both sides because you have to take off the saddlebags. It is not difficult to get them off, but you want to be VERY careful with them, they are very expensive to replace/repair. Whether using BUBS or HD touring cans, you do not use the gasket that's inside the front of the Yamaha stock mufflers. If you try to, the new mufflers won't fit on the end of the stock pipe. Because of the close tolerances between the two, (with the HD's, you actually have to spread them abit to get them on, also not difficult), the front of the mufflers clamp on nice and tight to the pipes. Mine have never leaked without the gasket. I have not re-jetted the carbs, nor has anyone else that I know of. Some here will recommend the K&N air filters, but I have not done that. The reasons I haven't are: A. I've read too many articles (electronic and print media) that show they allow WAY too much dirt into the engine for the small horsepower gain they provide, and B. Because the bike runs great the way it is (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Hope this helps. Don from PA

..."Some here will recommend the K&N air filters, but I have not done that. The reasons I haven't are: A. I've read too many articles (electronic and print media) that show they allow WAY too much dirt into the engine for the small horsepower gain they provide"...

:stirthepot: Yeah, that may be the case with the newer RSTD's with the lower fairings, but my K&N is under the tank. Never re-jetted, just richened the mixture. I also run a Dyna3000 with the dip's set at stage III and burn 87 most of the time. Seen a lot of you guys had peeling on the cones - guess mine were of a vintage (pre Y2K) when we still had good materials and pride of production in the U.S., as mine shine up great when I get around to getting the soot off :whistling:.

Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving :D