IGNORED

Great Chaps - Colorado Chaps

Midrsv

I just received a pair of fleeced lined Cordura Nylon chaps from www.coloradochaps.com and I am impressed. The chaps are custom made from your measurements, thigh and inseam. Instead of a typical belt they have a velcro strap that loops over your existing belt. I guess they assume you'll be wearing one. While it is not frigid here right now I did take a short ride with them on and they are very "toasty". They are easy to put on. Just put your foot and leg through the top and pull the zipper to your ankle. I've never cared for leather chaps and they always seemed too hard to get on. And with my short legs I could never find leather that fit right. I thought I would take a chance on these and I'm glad I did. Lori at coloradochaps.com is very good to work with. If you're cold, give them a try.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv

I forgot to mention that the chaps come with a stuff sack and they compress into a really small pack.

Dennis

If you get a chance, I'd like to see a picture of them packed down - maybe in comparison to a helmet (or some other 'standard' sized object).

Thanks! :thumbsup2:

Looks good. My concerns about going with something that is not leather is simply the crash protection.

The cordura looks very similar to my Tourmaster jacket and is probably as durable. They also offer the chaps in 2 tougher grades, Balistic Nylon and Kevlar. I just didn't want them to be too stiff so I chose the 1000 denier Cordura.

They offer knee armor as well.

Dennis

The cordura looks very similar to my Tourmaster jacket and is probably as durable. They also offer the chaps in 2 tougher grades, Balistic Nylon and Kevlar. I just didn't want them to be too stiff so I chose the 1000 denier Cordura.

They offer knee armor as well.

Dennis

I just saw that too on their site. I'd be willing to compromise a bit on size consideration for safety.

Good find - Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

White Horse Gear has them in uninsulated leather (which I have) and insulated Nylon. I really like them. I wear snow/ski pants when it's cold.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/apparel?SID=hbiverkrc14i1olgu6dd44s4c4

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/c/p/cpezl_3.jpg http://www.whitehorsegear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/c/p/cpez_1_1.jpg

White Horse Gear has them in uninsulated leather (which I have) and insulated Nylon. I really like them. I wear snow/ski pants when it's cold.

I checked out the White Horse chaps and they look good. But the deal breaker for me is the sizing. They would be about 5 inches too long for me. That's why the custom sizing of the Colorado Chaps appealed to me.

Dennis

I agree. The sizing chart threw me as well. I ordered per the chart and had to return the first set. I then ordered the next size larger (large) knowing they would probably drag the ground behind me. To my surprise, they fit perfectly. I have a 30" inseam and the large size claims they fit 32.5 - 34" inseam. I returned the medium size because they fit my thighs too tight. ... Ponch

I agree. The sizing chart threw me as well. I ordered per the chart and had to return the first set. I then ordered the next size larger (large) knowing they would probably drag the ground behind me. To my surprise, they fit perfectly. I have a 30" inseam and the large size claims they fit 32.5 - 34" inseam. I returned the medium size because they fit my thighs too tight. ... Ponch

Time to lay off the thighmaster, Ponch!

Not sure, but I think Saltydawg has been using Colorado Chaps for a couple years (or longer). He had good things to say about them (reckon he still does). I haven't changed over to those I'm satisfied with my leather ones. BTW, if leather chap legs are too long, a razor knife works great.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

• 1 month later...

Thought I would post a follow up report after riding a few times with the chaps. They are comfortable and easy to put on. Today I left home and it was 17 degrees. I was very comfortable with the chaps and my Tourmaster Synergy liner under my Tourmaster Jett jacket. I also wore a full face HJC helmet. While I only ride about 12 miles to work I feel I could have ridden for a few hours with not problem. Two of my riding buddies have also ordered Colorado Chaps and both are pleased with their performance. The chaps will save me about $3/day in fuel expense since they allow me to ride the bike instead of taking the Tahoe on these cold morning.

Dennis

I checked out the White Horse chaps and they look good. But the deal breaker for me is the sizing. They would be about 5 inches too long for me. That's why the custom sizing of the Colorado Chaps appealed to me.

Dennis

It says to measure to the hem of your jeans not to the floor but how high would they ride up once you are sitting on the bike.

I'm seeing two things replacing chaps lately.

For me an several in my riding club we got ski pants.

These are about $40 and have zippers for boots.

Get the right ones and they have inner-calf patches (nylon noise reducing pannels)

which, by the way, will protect from muffler burns.

AND,,,,, keeps the all important crotch zone warm too!!!!!

They pack down to a roll about 4" in diameter and weight zilch.

No, they don't have the protection of good leather,,,, win some, loose some.

Another bunch I ride with went to Wal-mart or Tractor Supply and got Carhart

(or look alike) fleece insulated coveralls for about $60. Kind of looks like the

Deliverance Bikers (wheeee),, but they are toasty!! They have leg zippers too.

More 60 year old bikers die of heart attacks putting on chaps than having sex.

That statistic is for men, I don't think women have to report that.

Pretty sure about that!

Mike G in SC

if your ever in Vancover WA. check out Love's Leather just east of the interstate hwy.

great name brand leather wear and carry there own brand. i purchased a leather jacket and chaps of high quality. the jacket has a removable liner and the chaps have a mesh to help keep them from sticking to you on hot days.

before that i used Cabela's chaps made of kevlar, linered canvas, worked real well but were bulky and hot in the summer. would have kept using them until i bought the leathers.

Love's Leathers has a web ad, and are getting set up to have a web page to order from.

very friendly and great with customer service.

and if you there around noon each day they serve a free bite to eat.