IGNORED

83 VR carb slide/diaphram help needed

Hello all. This would be my first real post here. Turns out I need some parts or advice. What a way to start off, heh?

I have a 83 VR. Mk1. (Is that correct?) Two of the carb slides are giving me issues. It seems that they have separated. On one, the plastic slide has broken apart. The other was intact, so I just pressed it back together. Should I worry about the reassembled one? Is gluing the other back together feasible? I have all the parts. I have gathered these are quite expensive, and not that common. If I have to pay dealer prices, just two would be almost what I paid for the bike! The breaks look clean and very recent. Any ideas how they broke? Did I cause this?

Funny thing is, I had her running before tearing into the carbs. Would not idle, but ran none the less. She sat for a couple of years non-running before I came along.

Should I post a WTB somewhere? THANKS IN ADVANCE

Michael

Welcome to the site!

What you have is a MKI Venture. New replacement slides for them are quite pricey. IMHO, the one in your picture needs to be replaced.

I sell an aftermarket slide and diaphragm assembly for your carburetors Thunder Valley Powersports. They're $101.35 each, which is way less than the Yamaha price.

If your status changes from "Trial Member" to "Supporting Member" I'll give you a coupon code for 15% off - your membership will pay for itself if you purchase just one slide.

Oh - the diaphragm looks to be in good shape. If you replace the slide seal the diaphragm in a zip-loc bag and store in a cool, dark place. It might come in real handy in the future. (I wonder if the PO replaced the diaphragms and damaged the slides in the process.)

I bought 4 slides and diaphrams on ebay for 250 ( OEM) incl shipping. You can order 2 for abou half that then just stick your needle assembly in......you can also just buy the diaphrams alone for about 75 for 4 and fit them on nicely (if your slides are fine.)

Hey Cheese,

Welcome to the site! Here's the scoop on the sliders. The plastic slider is injection molded plastic that has been exposed to Gas and engine heat for 27 years! The plastic decomposes and becomes brittle over time. The crimping die used to install the plastic retaining rings that hold the Diaphragm to the slider were known for not doing an excellent job of retaining the Diaphragm Plastic Rings. If it were me, I would buy new and MiCarl has the right part for a fair price. My second choice would be Stud's offer of good used parts. The bad thing about gluing the slider back together is if a part breaks off again, the next stop for it is jammed in an intake valve or the combustion chamber and the top of the piston in a melted blob. Not to mention the extra weight of the glue retards the slider action.

I realize money is tight right now, but some things need to be repaired properly so that they don't cause the kind of damage that will cause you to scrap your scoot. This is one of those repairs.:thumbsup2:

Earl

I agree. The part should be replaced. However, should I worry about the one I pressed back together?

This bike only has 5k on it. It has been sitting for a while now. The rubber looks new. The sliders have no wear. I would rather get a good used slider and reuse this diaphram.

I guess im lucky for it not getting into the motor. Little confused how it broke still.

Michael

I agree. The part should be replaced. However, should I worry about the one I pressed back together?

This bike only has 5k on it. It has been sitting for a while now. The rubber looks new. The sliders have no wear. I would rather get a good used slider and reuse this diaphram.

I guess im lucky for it not getting into the motor. Little confused how it broke still.

Michael

I had one come apart on my '83. I put it back to gether and it didn't feel like it was going to stay, so tweeked the leading edge on the metal sleeve, and it's been over 6000 miles with no problems. Maybe I was just lucky?? If you're able to replace the plastic slide make sure it's from a MKI. There are slight differences between the MKI and MKII diaphragm slides. Earl may be able to help you with the differences... Also, just because you stoled the bike doesn't mean the parts are going to be cheap too..... :whistling:

Hey Michael,

(Thanks for posting your name, I couldn't fine it in your profile page) If Stud is giving you a good price on the used sliders, I would buy two and replace the other one as well. You already know that the bike runs like crap with bad sliders. You wouldn't want that to happen 500 miles from home.:confused24:

Earl

Thanks.

I have went and updated my profile some. Planned to join today as well. But time has eluded me.

I would like to start a thread for my progress. That way its easy for me to keep up with it. Which would be the proper forum? A little off topic I know, but didnt see the need in starting another thread just to ask a question about starting another thread. Follow that? :p

Michael