IGNORED

HJC Sy-Max II Helmet owners?

Snaggletooth

Well, New Enough is hacking at me again. They have been offering up some things that I have been wanting to improve on for a while. Today I got the notice on the HJC Sy-Max II going on sale.

I've needed to replace my full face helmet, a Vetter I bought when I bought my GL1100, (and no I don't wear it anymore), to something more modern. LOL! I have the HJC Trooper style half helmet that is my daily bucket. Fits great, stays cool and most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. But the colder weather is setting in a full face would be nice.

But from what I'm reading the HJC Sy-Max II has some pretty good reviews and has been around for a bit. Now today, they listed one in my size, which is a bear to find and for a decent price.

Anyone here own one of these and what are your thoughts on it?

The sun visor is one of my main concerns. Nice feature, but seems to be the weak spot in the reviews.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike

I bought a Symax last year for my G/F and she enjoyed it very much, it fit her well and she said it ventilated fairly well in the heat, but was a wee bit noisy at times. There was places in the ear for the headset. She really liked the built-in flip down SUnshade, in the model we bought. BTW I bought it from NewEnough last year about this time for less than 1/2 of what the retailers wanted around here for them, but I would go to a local to try one on first as HJC seems to fit round heads best.

I own an HJC (i think its fs10) full face with the integrated sunshade too and like it a lot, it saves having to find where to put the sunglasses. I think mine ventilates better than the symax as there were some cooler days when i put masking tape over the vents at the rear of the helmet to keep some heat in.

Brian

We got a pair of Symax II's last spring from HelmetHarbor to replace our full face helmets. They are definitely noisier than the FF, but for us being able to lift the front to take a drink, take a picture, and put helmet on without removing glasses is worth the extra noise. Once we got used to it after a couple of rides it's not a big deal for us. We haven't had any problems with the sunscreen, and it does come in handy. There's a wider range of view than we had with our FF helmets. So basically, we like ours!

My wife has had hers for about a year now. She likes it a lot, it has helped her when her allergies are kicking up and she can't wear the 3/4 helmet. I just ordered one today. Be aware though that these helmets run a bit small (or so it seems to me). I normally wear a XL (on other HJC helmets), but on this model I am going to have to get a XXL.

Check out the new Evoline Shark Series 2 helmet.

http://www.shark-helmets.com/emailing/shark-export/evo.html

I wanted a module helmet and stumbled onto the Evoline. It has been 27 years since I last put a helmet on, so I do not have must to compare it to.

I bought the Series 2 for there were nice improvements over the Series 1.

Hey ya Gray Ghost,

That line is now considered stolen. It shall be my new screen saver at work. Being of the hearing impaired crowd.......it just works for me.

"I am not ignoring you. My fancy new digital hearing aids have decided that you are noise, and have eliminated you "

But I ordered a new HJC today from NewEnough. Couldn't pass it up for the price. A little wind noise in the bucket don't bother us old deaf folks much.

Thanks for the the replies.

Mike

My turn to slam good old HJC....

I have always liked HJC.. So 2 years ago I bought the SY-MAX II..

I could not get over how much wind noise you get with a higher priced helmet, figured I would just live with it (which I did) They say they wind test all their helmets...up this one is windy alright...

Now they have come out with the PINLOCK visor system which prevents fogging ( works great) and riding up here in the frozen tundra I need something like that so I thought I would get it for my helmet... They dont make it for THIS helmet..

Might have to look at a different brand next time

Gezz I feel better already....

I have one, and Like it Well enough.

I had a problem with it vetilating in the summer...as the air intakes are on the top of hte helmet as opposed towards the front.

I fixed that with a trip to the home depot and built a snorkel of sorts that screws right in and will breakaway inder load.

The visor fog in the winter tme, so I have tokeep it cracked a bit.

it is a tad noisy... but i wear earplugs and have the music turned up inside my helmet.

for the $$ it is an Ok helmet. If you are getting a good deal on it... go for it.

Well the new HJC Sy-Max II I ordered arrived today. I've never been a fan of full face buckets before but my experience was rather limited with them. I think this one will help me get past that.

I went with the flat black finish as the fashion folks say black is "slimming". Well, ok....it's a XXL so I'll go for anything that makes my head look smaller. Everything helps.

But slipped, pulled, tugged or whatever you call putting on a full face. It ain't like dropping the half helmet on for sure. Felt a little tight but worked it around a bit and it found its sweet spot. Comfortable enough. Dropped the chin bar down and it is really close to my chin. Not hitting but I can feel my beard rubbing it. Might need a trim. Yep, that will help.

Dropped the sun shield down and it sits nice without rubbing my nose. It could be a shaped a bit different to go lower so you are not looking at the bottom edge. The shield had enough room to fit over my favorite sun glasses to without hitting them. So far so good. I've read complaints about needing two hands to adjust or release the sun shield. They must have changed something but once it gets half way down and locks I can set it anywhere between that point and fully down and release it with one finger.

Well it was 36 degrees and a light rain out so what better way to test the helmet I'm going to wear in bad weather. So I geared up and headed out for a ride. A little Plexus on the visor and off I went. I got to say it looks like it's the next favoite bucket. With the visor all the way closed it stayed dry inside. A lil bit of moisture at the bottom seam where it seats into the chin bar but with that rubber seal there it stayed on the out side. I had to crack the visor a bit when I stopped to to clear the fogging but it cleared instantly once I was moving. Not bad. The vent in the chin that blows the air up onto the inside of the visor does a great job. I can't feel any air on my face but the visor blows clear very quickly.

Line of view is excellent. Don't have to tilt my head to see the gauges and side vision is far better than I expected.

I stopped for a bit and put on my fleece mask. That took care of the bottom of the chin chill. Then off to the Interstate!! As far as buffeting....way better than catching wind under the visor of the Trooper I usually wear. No stress on the neck at all.

The fun parts was pulling up by a cage at a light, their wipers going full blast with the the windows closed and the folks inside looking at me like I was insane. How did they know? LOL!

But I arrived home warm, dry and safe and happy with the new bucket. You that own one of these know all this so forgive my raving.

It's my first full face since I bought my Vetter. Been a few years.

For the $159.00 bucks though New Enough......not a bad deal. HJC still works for me.

Thanks to those that commented on this thread.

Mike