IGNORED

Need help on a gun

Guest scarylarry

Guest scarylarry

I found a dealer that is cheaper than the dealers here in Tenn. I never bought a gun out of state from a dealer, so I called and was surprise I can't buy one unless it ship to a dealer here which he will make a profit and after all said and done I'm back at the prices here..

Is there a way around this?

You will have to find someone that lives is the same state as the dealer, who is willing to purchase the gun for you, and is willing to put in their name. The only other choice would be to find a person with an FFL that would not charge you a fee for the transaction,or a very small fee.

Another choice would be to ask around and try to find someone with an FFL that doesn't really have a store that orders guns for you if you already know what you want, they usually order for 10% over their cost.

Guest scarylarry

Problem here is greed, and I know people there but I hate to asked them to it..I'll waitt to a gun show comes around or search the pond shops..

Yea, it's really not worth it unless you find it a LOT cheaper. I bought the Glock 36 last week. I found it in another state for a full $40.00 cheaper. Most FFL dealers will charge $20.00 to take delivery of it for you. By the time you add shipping to that, it negates any advantage to buying it out of state. I just bought it locally and paid the extra $40.00.

Ask around---I have a friend with an FFL, and he orders for me. Don't know how much you into guns, but someone around their has a very small side buisness going I'm sure. Try to stay away from the gun stores. If possible,buy from a private owner at the gun show's, no paperwork that way. I have bought 3 pistols at the last two shows here that way.

Guest scarylarry
Ask around---I have a friend with an FFL, and he orders for me. Don't know how much you into guns, but someone around their has a very small side buisness going I'm sure. Try to stay away from the gun stores. If possible,buy from a private owner at the gun show's, no paperwork that way. I have bought 3 pistols at the last two shows here that way.

I'm not that into it, just found 2 hand guns in Ky. and thought I would buzz up there and pick them up...

I'll find them locally I'm sure, just thought it was stupid not to be able to buy a hand gun but could a rifle or shotgun...

I'm not that into it, just found 2 hand guns in Ky. and thought I would buzz up there and pick them up...

I'll find them locally I'm sure, just thought it was stupid not to be able to buy a hand gun but could a rifle or shotgun...

I have close friends in Mich and In. so I'm pretty well covered in this tri-sate area. Visit gun shows in all three states.

Here at the gun shows, the people selling private guns at tables usually have a sign up that say's--Private collection. Here you can also by from someone walking around the show carrying their gun, all you have to do is ask if they want to sell.

What guns were you looking at?

Guest scarylarry
I have close friends in Mich and In. so I'm pretty well covered in this tri-sate area. Visit gun shows in all three states.

Here at the gun shows, the people selling private guns at tables usually have a sign up that say's--Private collection. Here you can also by from someone walking around the show carrying their gun, all you have to do is ask if they want to sell.

What guns were you looking at?

pm sent

the newspapers sometimes carry a story of a BATF arrest of people who conduct what is known as a strawman purchase for someone not legally entitiled to buy a gun. That can include having an out of state friend buy a handgun for you out of state, even if it would have been legal to buy in your own state from an individual, or legal to have a commercial FFL transfer it for you.

Its not worth $20 saved.

BATF does set up stings from time to time.

The number of people with dealer FFL's who will do a transfer for you has been drastically cut back the last few years. Unless you have a store front and Tax ID, its difficult to get a dealers FFL anymore, unlike the old days.

the newspapers sometimes carry a story of a BATF arrest of people who conduct what is known as a strawman purchase for someone not legally entitiled to buy a gun. That can include having an out of state friend buy a handgun for you out of state, even if it would have been legal to buy in your own state from an individual, or legal to have a commercial FFL transfer it for you.

Its not worth $20 saved.

The number of people with dealer FFL's who will do a transfer for you has been drastically cut back the last few years. Unless you have a store front and Tax ID, its difficult to get a dealers FFL anymore, unlike the old days.

No argument from me on these points.

Its not worth $20 saved.

This is true. It is easy to break a gun law because there are so many of them.

You will have to find someone that lives is the same state as the dealer, who is willing to purchase the gun for you, and is willing to put in their name.

DO NOT do this. This is called a "Straw Purchase," and it is a federal offense. You can buy from individuals without a background check, but you may want to check into the legality of driving to another state with the sole intention of circumventing the background check to purchase a firearm. The BATFE is real particular about stuff like that.

As someone else said, any FFL (usually a gun shop) can import the gun for you and then run your background for a nominal fee (typically $20). Surely their not ripping you off at that price. It does cost them money to maintain the license, storefront, employees, and computer equipment to be able to offer this service. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they are required by federal law to charge a fee for providing this service, but don't quote me on that. If you were only looking at saving $20 on the purchase, why not spend that money locally and help the economy in your neck of the woods?

EDIT: went back and read the last post and wanted to clarify the term "straw purchase." This occurs when someone purchases a firearm with the intent to resale it, either immediately, or in the future, for profit or not, without a Federal Firearm License. A few examples are:

You purchase a firearm for someone that you know cannot legally purchase one himself.

You and a friend are at a gun shop, and your friend wants to purchase a gun. He realizes at the last minute that he does not have any money with him, but you do. If you purchase the gun, and exchange it with the friend for the purchase price at a later time, that would be a straw purchase.

You buy a gun that you know a friend is looking for. You are friends with the person selling the gun, so you get a really good deal. Later in the week you offer it to the friend who was looking and he buys it from you (at a profit or not), that would be a straw purchase.

It is legal, however, to purchase a firearm, then realize that you don't want or need it for whatever reason and sell it. Since the law hinges on intent, and your intention was for personal use when the purchase was made, then that would not be considered a straw purchase.

It is also legal to purchase a firearm with the intent to give it as a gift, so long as no money is exchanged. A example would be that I have bought a Marlin .22 and Stephens 20 gauge for my son over the last couple of years. Since he is under age, the guns belong to me, but on his 21st birthday I will give them to him. I could likewise give them to someone else tomorrow, and it would be legal, so long as I did not accept any money for the gun.

This particular law isn't as much about keeping firearms out of the hands of convicted felons or other unscrupulous characters as it is a money racket. The feds don't want a unlicensed individual buying and selling arms on a regular basis. They don't get their money for license fees and taxes that way. Also, there are the record keeping and inspection aspects of the FFL. All FFL's must keep a "book" recording every purchase and sale made. This even applies to firearms that they purchase for personal use. The whole process is very intrusive.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Edited by rentalguy1

There is a guy here with a FFL that does it, and I think he only charges you the $10 fee for the TBI check. A dealer up in Murray, Ky. told me about him when I was looking at buying one up there. I have his name and number if you're interested. They just deliver the gun to him, then you let him run the check, pay him the $10, and you're outta there.

What guns were you looking at? I may be able to get you a deal here at the shop I was telling you about.

Guest scarylarry
There is a guy here with a FFL that does it, and I think he only charges you the $10 fee for the TBI check. A dealer up in Murray, Ky. told me about him when I was looking at buying one up there. I have his name and number if you're interested. They just deliver the gun to him, then you let him run the check, pay him the $10, and you're outta there.

What guns were you looking at? I may be able to get you a deal here at the shop I was telling you about.

On the home page the Diamond Back and the S/W 9mm...

http://whittakerguns.com/

Guest scarylarry
can you get your own FFL?

Good question, something tells me you would have to either show a business or proof of something other than for just personal purchases, also so in today's world the paper work would be more than I care to do..

can you get your own FFL?

Yes, you can. They had made it tougher to operate out of your home, and were making a store front required, but they have began to relax and go back to the way it used to be. You still have to own a "gun shop," either way. All you have to do is fill out the application, submit it with your fingerprint cards, supporting documents, fees, and then jump through all of the BATFE's hoops. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

Oh yeah, you also have to be willing to let them go through your business location on a whim. If you are operating your business out of your home, that means they can go through your underwear drawer whenever they want to. That is what kept me from getting a FFL last year. The government is already up in my personal business too much. I don't want to give them even more authority over me in order to save a few bucks on the purchase of toys.

Those are good prices, Larry. I was looking at the Sigma .40 also. I think it was like $379. Also, the dealer and I looked up the date on the rebates, and they just ran out. He said they would probably renew them soon, though.

Having had a FFl for over 16 years I totally agree with Rental guy on all he says. I no longer have the license as it just got to cumbersome in dealing with the Feds and their mountains of paperwork. I had been dropped-in inspected twice with no problems on my part. I finally realized that having that license was restricting me more than common folk. And I can't tell you the relief I felt when I gave em my books.

Besides by this time in life I was getting away from the shooting sports thou still having a strong connection to my gun club.

Criminals will always have access to guns and won't worry the least about what laws they break in aquiring them and most certainly won't be filling out those forms like we all do.

Larry

There are several kinds of FFL.

retail gunshop

Collector

Gunsmith

Importer

manufacturer

weapons of mass destruction

etc

I had a collector FFL for 25 years, it allows one to buy non-controlled weapons interstate that are over 50 years old, and allows purchase of certain class-III weapons if they are on the BATF collector list (like WWI era automatic weapons with additional federal stamps and paperwork required).

Weapons classified as antiques are not regulated at the federal level (Pre-1899).

Guest scarylarry
Those are good prices, Larry. I was looking at the Sigma .40 also. I think it was like $379. Also, the dealer and I looked up the date on the rebates, and they just ran out. He said they would probably renew them soon, though.

Thanks Monty I will search here as well

DO NOT do this. This is called a "Straw Purchase," and it is a federal offense. You can buy from individuals without a background check, but you may want to check into the legality of driving to another state with the sole intention of circumventing the background check to purchase a firearm. The BATFE is real particular about stuff like that.

As someone else said, any FFL (usually a gun shop) can import the gun for you and then run your background for a nominal fee (typically $20). Surely their not ripping you off at that price. It does cost them money to maintain the license, storefront, employees, and computer equipment to be able to offer this service. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they are required by federal law to charge a fee for providing this service, but don't quote me on that. If you were only looking at saving $20 on the purchase, why not spend that money locally and help the economy in your neck of the woods?

EDIT: went back and read the last post and wanted to clarify the term "straw purchase." This occurs when someone purchases a firearm with the intent to resale it, either immediately, or in the future, for profit or not, without a Federal Firearm License. A few examples are:

You purchase a firearm for someone that you know cannot legally purchase one himself.

You and a friend are at a gun shop, and your friend wants to purchase a gun. He realizes at the last minute that he does not have any money with him, but you do. If you purchase the gun, and exchange it with the friend for the purchase price at a later time, that would be a straw purchase.

You buy a gun that you know a friend is looking for. You are friends with the person selling the gun, so you get a really good deal. Later in the week you offer it to the friend who was looking and he buys it from you (at a profit or not), that would be a straw purchase.

It is legal, however, to purchase a firearm, then realize that you don't want or need it for whatever reason and sell it. Since the law hinges on intent, and your intention was for personal use when the purchase was made, then that would not be considered a straw purchase.

It is also legal to purchase a firearm with the intent to give it as a gift, so long as no money is exchanged. A example would be that I have bought a Marlin .22 and Stephens 20 gauge for my son over the last couple of years. Since he is under age, the guns belong to me, but on his 21st birthday I will give them to him. I could likewise give them to someone else tomorrow, and it would be legal, so long as I did not accept any money for the gun.

This particular law isn't as much about keeping firearms out of the hands of convicted felons or other unscrupulous characters as it is a money racket. The feds don't want a unlicensed individual buying and selling arms on a regular basis. They don't get their money for license fees and taxes that way. Also, there are the record keeping and inspection aspects of the FFL. All FFL's must keep a "book" recording every purchase and sale made. This even applies to firearms that they purchase for personal use. The whole process is very intrusive.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Sorry guys--I was typing slower than I was thinking. :doh: As stated there are legal ways to purchace firearms, even from other states for the private person. As an example ( and I don't know everything about the gun laws,but the way I read it) I can sell a gun to a friend/or person in another state, but the gun has to go thru an FFL dealer and be entered in his book in the state that the friend/person resides in. I can send this gun to the FFL thru private campany ( FEDEX-UPS,etc) to the FFL in my friends/persons state. Now if I purchased the handgun today and sent it out tomorrow that would be considered a staw purchace. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks