Just bought my 2007 RSTD this past weekend with 2200 miles and factory warranty till March 2013. I trailered her home and then had to take it straight in to the local dealer for a recall. Something about the heads needing to have the torque checked? Is anyone aware of any other recall issues with the 2007 RSTD?

Actully I have a new this year 2008 RSTD (set on the floor for two years) after 2500 mile the rear diff failed. After 3 week, lots of phone calls, and a warr with my Dealer I found out that there was a recall on a small number of 2008 that Yamaha left lapping compound in the diff witch would knock out the bearings and cause premature ware on ring and pinion. They installed a new diff and now I have 7000 mile and no problems. I have never herd of this before but the dealer did so me the recall. By the way I Love this bike out side of the one problem it just runs and runs well!

Just bought my 2007 RSTD this past weekend with 2200 miles and factory warranty till March 2013. I trailered her home and then had to take it straight in to the local dealer for a recall. Something about the heads needing to have the torque checked? Is anyone aware of any other recall issues with the 2007 RSTD?

Just a couple of points of minor clarification. First there has never been an official legal "recall" of either the 2007 or 2008 Royal Stars. I did not look for other model years, but you can check them here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

However, Yamaha HAS issued lots of different Technical Bulletins, which is how these issues were handled. It is possible that they have used the term "recall" internally, but it still does not have the same requirements as a government mandated or approved voluntary recall. From an owner's view point, there is not a huge difference beyond the legal requirement for a manufacturer to notify you and perform free repairs under an actual recall. Under a simple tech bulletin, Yamaha just hopes you never have the problem, or if you do, you never bring it to them. But if you do, and you have a decent dealer that actually checks the tech bulletins, then they will fix it like they would a recall.

As for the 2007 problem, it is well known, but it does not affect all 2007 bikes. In fact, the tech bulletin specifies a specific serial number range which is something like 1/2 the model year. Unfortunately, I do not have the tech bulletin, nor do I remember exactly what it says. But I would have some specific concerns about it.

If my bike was in the affected serial numbers, but had not shown any leak (requires analysis of both coolant and engine oil to look for contamination), I would be reasonably happy with just having the heads properly torqued. BUT, if there has been any sign whatsoever of a leak, then the ONLY appropriate fix is to replace the head gaskets.

Good luck,

Goose

Even if we don't have the exact text from the recall, if the owners of those 07s would post their serial numbers then others with 07's in close proximity serial number wise would know to visit their dealer.

My 2007 is still in the shop. As of yesterday, they had not started on it yet. My VIN ends

005681. Here is the TSB info....

2007 Yamaha XVZ13CT Cooling System TSBs

TSB Number: 2007015NHTSA Number: 10023799TSB Date: October 2, 2007Date Added to File: February 1, 2008 Failing Component:

Engine And Engine Cooling:Cooling System Summary:

Yamaha motorcycle - 2007 xvz13tf (royal star venture), xvz13ct (royal star tour deluxe), vmx12 (v-max) -- insufficient tightened cylinder head bolts.

It is interesting that this TSB has an NHTSA campaign number asigned, but does not show up on the government site under either recalls or defect investigations, just service bulletins.

But the fact that some owners actually got letters from Yamahaha notifying them of the problem is a good thing - it sounds like they are actually treating it like a recall. Still, I would not rely on that - doesn't take much effort to go into a dealer and have them check that TSB to see if your serial number is included.

For what it's worth, when I had my 07 I asked the dealer to check it, and they said it was NOT included. the last six f the serial number were 012073.

Goose

• 1 month later...

did a search for Yamaha technical service bulletins and came across :

http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/yamaha/

For the 97 RSTD they list :

1997 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR TOUR DELUXE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS (Change Vehicle)

The following ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:FUSES AND CIRCUIT BREAKERS recall/defect on 1997 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR TOUR DELUXE vehicles was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration on 1997-12-15. For more information contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration or the US Department of Transportation. See recall summary below.

Build Years/Makes/Models: 1997 YAMAHA XVZ13LTJ

1997 YAMAHA LTJC

1997 YAMAHA ROYAL STAR TOUR DELUXE

UNits affected: 1027

Recall Number: 97V230000

Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. AN OVERLOAD OF THE TURN SIGNAL, REAR TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT, AND CARBURETOR WARMER CIRCUIT CAN BLOW THE FUSE.

Consequence: THIS CONDITION CAN RESULT IN A LACK OF REAR TAIL AND BRAKE LIGHT ILLUMINATION. VEHICLES FOLLOWING BEHIND MAY NOT NOTICE THE MOTORCYCLE'S BRAKING ACTION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSTALL NEW, APPROPRIATE-RATED FUSES.

Notes: OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 22, 1997.OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR MOTORCYCLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.