IGNORED

need some advice not bike related

oldgoat

hello im realy having a hard time with this.

i just found out my neighbor who got married a few months ago. and has been living here next door for over a year has married a child molster. he beat and sexualy abused a 8 year old. his niece. he served just 3 years for this. but must register for life?

my problem is i baby sit a 13 year old great niece and well she,s starting to fill out. i told her mom my niece about this and her grandma my sister. well it turns out she can no longer come here. and it breaks my heart. as she likes to walk along the railroad tracks and along the river with me. i know in a few years she will be grown up and do thing,s most teens do and that wont include her great uncle to much.

i tould my landlord i been here going on 3 years and i dont think i should have to live with the fact that i now have to give up a part of my life.

and she said. he did his time i cant refuse him or her the right to a place to live?

and what he did just makes me want to punch the **** out of him.

well i guess i ranted enough.

thanks for letting me get this off my chest

oldgoat

I'm sorry to hear all that. It's a shame you have to miss out on the ability to have family memebers around due to this ok I'll just use the term person for now. My heart goes out to you. What I don't understand is why anyone marries someone that had done that. I know he served is time, but still. Maybe they'll move and you can go back to your normal life.

Margaret

You may want to check the local laws. He may be in violation of certain laws and has to move. In GA a sex offender cannot live within X feet of a school, church and other places where kids go. While the landlord may think they cannot deny the person a place to rent, if there's alot of people with children in your community that might be grounds for a termination of their lease. Talk to an attorney and get the facts.

I too feel badly that the great niece can't come near you either because the guy chose to act outside the confines of law and morals. Some of my fondest memories are of my great aunts and uncles I had growing up. Because of them I have a moral compass that my parents didn't fully instill into me.

Sorry about your dilema but I wouldnt quit spending time with your Niece, just pick her up and drive to a nice park and go for a long walk, Dont let this guy change your life.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

yeah, he is right, because before youknow it she will be all grown up, unfortunately you have to change how you do things for a while, but they are only kids once, and I am sure she will carry the memories of her time with you for life.:thumbsup2:

Almost every state and jurisdiction have predator posting laws, which allows the police or other concerned entity to inform the neighborhood of this mans presence, a person cannot harass a registered offender but in many cases a posting for a three or four block area around his residence is legal, fliers with a photo, conviction dob, and address is the appropriate form, contact your local PD or Sheriff "the Sheriffs Dept" was responsible when I was a deputy,

many times a posting such as this will move them on, and it will be a move they decided to do all on their own.

Cruser has a good point. Where I live we currently have 817 registered offenders within the city limits. I have 25 currently in my zip code alone. That's within walking distance. I currently have one two doors down from me.

I'm a single parent of a daughter. She's older now but we have had to stay aware of what we have for neighbors. Check your state for a "Registered Sex Offender" web site.

At one point we had 5 offenders living in our neighborhood that were all withing eyesight of our doors. Our area is almost all family with children.

I downloaded the flyers and spoke with my neighbors, giving them copies and dropping off copies at the day care across the street. They were all shocked to find that many living in within a few hundred yards of each other. The management of the complex was stunned to find that the listings were all in the area of the playground and the pool. Along with that NONE of them were living there under their own lease. Most staying with girlfriends.

It did not take long for the offenders to disappear. They want their privacy more than anybody.

A couple of weeks ago a new guy moved onto my street, two doors down. Seemed friendly enough. He was always out walking through the neigborhood. He saw me and a few other neighbors out in my garage one night, kind of a gathering spot for bike nuts, and stopped in. He had a few beers in him, laughing and joking around. He was looking at my bulletin board on my garage wall. Bike picks, parts listings, receipts and the flyer from the offender website with his pic and crime listed. He just stopped and turned around and looked at everyone. Nobody said a word. He just walked away. I suppose he felt a bit.......violated. I hope so. Seems fair.

Haven't seen him since. He should be gone before long. No more just being one of the guys. My daughter said a local news crew has been stopping by and knocking on his front door a few times, but no answer. I guess he's drawing attention for something else also.

Not much you can do about them. Making threats makes you the bad guy. The public exposure of their crimes is what they want to avoid.

But do not let this guy affect your relationship.

As a landlord, I don't put up with them, if one moves in with someone thats already living here, they know they are going to get a thirty day notice to move.

I check everyones background and sex offender registry. Everyone that moves here is well aware of the rules.

I've probably got 20 or so children in the park and I can guarentee, they are going to be as safe as I can make it around here. I have two grown up daughters and don't even want to think about what I'd do to someone that harmed them in any way.

Sounds like your landlord likes her rent money:mo money: more than the fact shes got a sex offender close to kids. Even worse is the fact these peoples recidivism rate is way up there. Chances are they will do it again.

Myself, I'd seriously consider moving to a place that cares more about the kids.

. i told her mom my niece about this and her grandma my sister. well it turns out she can no longer come here. and it breaks my heart.

All the posts before me are understandably very valid. You guys with kids know a lot more about this than me, not having raised any myself. It's just not something that I've paid much attention to. That being said, I have a slightly different "view" of the situation. I don't feel it is fair of your neice to disallow her daughter to come and visit you at your place just because there is this person livng close by. To me, that is punishing you and the child for something that is totally out of your control. You can't protect people from "life" by taking them away from it. What is your neice going to do???... disallow her daughter from doing anything that "might" cause her harm??... she might as well lock the kid up in her room then. I'm sorry but I just don't subscribe to that kind of philosophy.

As a father of four, both boys and girls, i understand the "not in my neighborhood" feeling.

However I must say that I personally know two people who were convicted of sex offences due to pressure from an angry X wife pushing the child tell the story her way. The Children later recanted the testimony, but it didn't make any difference. Even though the person was not guilty the law forced him to register anyway, just in case.

Now both of these guys are screwed for the rest of their lifes through no fault of their own. Can't get a decient job, can't have a family, and because of helpful neighbors like those described above can't find a place to live in peace.

All I'm saying is that just because you see something on a list on the internet, that may not be the whole story.