IGNORED

SWR meter question

Norm

okay I did the dual firestick antenna modification. I really like the look. I live probably 220 miles from the nearest CB shop that I know of. When I go on line to look for a SWR meter to tune my CB antenna myself I see them priced from very low to very high. Since it isn't something I will use much after the one time I don't want to spend alot of money. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what make and model to buy without spending a bunch of money or should I just wait until I can make a trip to the nearest CB shop and let them do it.

Norm

okay I did the dual firestick antenna modification. I really like the look. I live probably 220 miles from the nearest CB shop that I know of. When I go on line to look for a SWR meter to tune my CB antenna myself I see them priced from very low to very high. Since it isn't something I will use much after the one time I don't want to spend alot of money. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what make and model to buy without spending a bunch of money or should I just wait until I can make a trip to the nearest CB shop and let them do it.

Norm

Just buy the cheap one it will work just fine for what u want. No need to spend a fortune on one. you will also need a 3 foot jumper to hook up between radio and meter. Here is one you can get and will work just FINE with jumper on E-bay

ITEM NUMBER 150505026534

Joe

Edited by star4772

Guest tx2sturgis

Years ago you could find new SWR meters at CB shops and Radio Shack for around $15, and they are pretty reliable. Since they measure a relative voltage, and accuracy is not that important, inexpensive meters will work pretty well.

I would avoid used ones tho, since you have no way of knowing what the previous owner did to it, as far as dropping it, or possibly running too much power thru it, which can ruin the tiny germanium diodes they use.

I'm guessing you might know someone who has one, most any CBer or Ham operator will have one handy. If not, some larger truck stops have them, as well as any number of online sources:

http://www.walcottcb.com/paradynamics-pdc1-100-watt-power-swr-meter-p-175.html?cPath=221_30

http://www.copper.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=1611&osCsid=b0c5b5558a0bebf83a278c13c4be86ae

Make sure you buy one that is rated for HF, or 27mhz, NOT VHF or UHF.

Why would you use dual CB antennas on a motorcycle? To gain any benifit from dual antennas they need to be 204 inches apart. I know they are used on trucks but they are at least 102 inches apart and because of the long narrow body mass of the rig they tend to develop a linear signal pattern which for a truck is not a bad thing. Antennas too close together can actually cancel each other out. Also when adjusting dual antennas you need to replace one antenna with a dummy load while adjusting the opposite one. the dummy load is a resister wich acts as a fake perfectly tuned antenna. Alternativly you can adjust both antennas together but you must make identical adjustments. If all you want is the dual antenna look simply make one antenna functional and let the other one just be a dummy, in the end you will have a better signal this way.

Edited by saddlebum

Guest tx2sturgis
Why would you use dual CB antennas on a motorcycle?

I had assumed he used one Firestick for the CB and one for the AM/FM reception. I could be wrong tho, and good on you sir for pointing out that running dual CB antennas is a bad idea on a bike. Not to mention having to wad up 36 feet of co-phasing harness in the trunk. Sheesh.

You can get a SWR / power meter on e-bay. This unit comes with a patch cable. You will need to have someone make an adaptor because the motorcycle antenna cable uses a motorola (car radio) antenna plug. If you get the meter that reads power and swr you can always adjust the transmitter power output up if you need to.

Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/Workman-SWR-3P-Dual-Meter-SWR-POWER-w-3-Cable-New-/380275310799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a2cc0cf

Norm;

Do you have an article reference for this mod? What was your source for the antennas?

Thanks!

Walt

You might want to look at this article. It's a single antenna mod, but it's basically the Marshall mod plus (minus?). At least you can see some pics. There is a link to the Marshall Mod site, and there are links to parts.

Found my old posting. I think the Marshall site has had some updates since then? If you can still get am/fm antenna then no worries about dual cb antenna's.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24775&highlight=antenna&page=2

From WestCoastMall.net. I e-mailed them 1st to make sure they had it in stock and at least at the time they did.

1 x FL3-B 3-Foot FireFly Antenna Tuneable Tip BLACK (FL3-B)

1 x AMFM3-B AM-FM Antenna (AMFM3-B)

Total from here $38.00