IGNORED

Would a full helmet have made any difference?

Ladyrider

I guess I will always wonder if a full face helmet would have helped Tom. I saw the pictures of the sceen this week, and now I know which helmet he wore that day. It was a half one. It really upsets me. It does not say in the report whether the helmet came off his head or if someone removed it. Tom did not own a full face helmet, but he had a 3/4. He had a skull fracture and damage to his face. Its something I will not ever have the answer to.

till they passed the law. My 83 Venture for about 2 1/2 years collected more dust from sitting than me riding it when they did. This is just one of the questions Sherry that approachs us all the time about wearing a helmet. Yes, sometimes it doesn't matter, and people like your Tom do not make it. I guess you can say I sort of feel naked without it now, but I still like taking it off when I hit Arizona that doesn't have a helmet law. What really makes me keep it on though is the speakers in the helmet that I listen to the radio with, and I also use the CB radio. So for now, I guess I'll just keep it on unless the helmet law is ever reversed; have a great day Sherry.:mustache:

Sherry

This is kind of gruesome...but if you need the closure...maybe try the coroner and see if those injuries are the ones that caused his death. He may be able to tell you the answers to the helmet question as well.

But what ever tha case....take it easy on yourself and Tom...he was just riding and never wanted this to happen to either of you.

We cant beat ourselves with all the "what ifs" that turn around in our mind although it is normal human nature.

Sherry, Rick's thoughts are right on the money regarding the "what if" deal... Even if you did find out wearing a full face might have saved his life, he might have also been tied to a wheel chair or even a bed. Now that's a really HUGE "what if".. :whistling::whistling:

Cherish the time you had together and remember you are still here.... Do you think Tom would want you to feel the pain you are going through???

We all hope and pray for quicker peace then you are getting. Maybe we are helping -- I sure hope so.... :sign13::sign13::sign13:

GOD BLESS!!!!

Ditto on what Sarges and Gold Rush said. The "what if"s are more painful than the loss of Tom. People have died with head injuries while wearing a full face helmet. NO ONE can say for sure if the full face helmet would have saved his life.

Do you feel that? We're all hugging you Sherry.

Ditto on what Sarges and Gold Rush said. The "what if"s are more painful than the loss of Tom. People have died with head injuries while wearing a full face helmet. NO ONE can say for sure if the full face helmet would have saved his life.

Do you feel that? We're all hugging you Sherry.

I would have to agree would it have made a difference the world will never know. I'm very sorry for your loss and its going to be a long road.

I came across this study in a book by David Hough heres the link http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm I guess most impacts happen in the face chin area. I'm guilty of wearing a halfie myself sometimes but after my recent crash ( I was wearing my full face modular) I'm staying with the full face. My big concerns with the halfie is first if its not tight they tend to move around on your head. My second bigger concern is in an impact does it make it worse on your skull and what I mean by this is lets say your head hits on the side, now your helmet hits first, now does this focus more energy at the point wear you head meets the edge of the helmet? cracking your skull because the rest of your head is still moving in the direction of the impact, where as a full face keeps the whole head togther better spreading the impact. I dont know. It may not make a difference if the impact is great enough.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family. Good luck Jim.