IGNORED

Another defector...

OldBear

Well, I did it. Took momma's car in for service and while I was there I walked across the street to a Kaw/Honda/KTM/Triumph dealer to look at the new Thunderbird. (It's not too bad by the way). Anyway, long story short a shiny new Titanium Goldwind caught my eye. I was just looking at it for a minute and the salesman comes up and starts talking, shortly thereafter I'm on a test ride on the GW demo. Went back the next day with the wife to let her try it on and wound up riding my shiny new Wing home. I really enjoyed my Venture, but I was absolutely "shocked" at the difference between it and the wing. In all fairness, the last wing I rode was a 1200 back in the day, but gee, what a ride this new puppy is! All the weight's down low, torque out the wazoo and handling that reminds me of my old FJR. I LOVE it. Wife and I are leaving Sunday for the Blue Ridge parkway on the Wing!! I can't wait!!:thumbsup:

That will probably be my next bike. Hearing a lot of good things about the wings. Plus, if you ever need to trike it you already have the reverse and the extra horses to take care of the added weight of the trike kit. I am happy for ya'.

.....you test rode one..... I love my Venture deeply...... but if you ride a Wing you will be hooked. I have ridden an '02 and an '09 Wing.... I f I had the money and thought for a minute I would survive the wife finding out that is what would be in the garage. Did you get the air bag? Does it have GPS ?

It's the "Package One" version. Nav (and XM radio) are added to package 2 (for an MSRP of $2k--the GW forum articles I read AND the dealer recommended against it even though he had one with that package in stock that I looked at. He said he didn't think it was worth the money!! I stuck my own XM on it and will mount my current GPS once I get a new RAM base for it. ABS is on Package 3 ($1K on top of Package 2) and then they've got the Airbag on Package 4 (no idea what THAT costs:rasberry:). I would have liked to had the ABS, but just couldn't see the extra $$, especially after I rode the demo and tried the linked brakes..they are really pretty decent, and significantly stronger than my Venture's even with the braided lines.

The real clincher for me was the handling and power. This thing feels like a sport tourer but yet has the comforts of a full boat touring bike. Like the man said, test riding one is a mistake unless you want to be bitten by the bug! I'll try and get a picture (though I'm not really tech savvy...)

Thanks for the kind words! I really enjoy the folks here so I'm not going anyplace. I've give y'all a more detailed report after we get back from the Blue Ridge. FWIW, wifey reports she likes it better than the Venture, and she'd never liked ANY bike until she sat on the RSV.....

Ive had mine over 3 months now but because of a disc/nerve problem no major miles on it BUT the miles I have put on it are awesome..Watch out on countersteering..I am over steering BAD but getting use to it..All I have found I need to do to really get it in the curves is a slight,very slight,twitch of body english. Very well balanced and as you say Power..lots of it and comfortable.BTW I love my ABS..tried it on a wet road,jammed on the brakes and never a skid,just stopped,QUICK.

Congrads on the new ride. Your going to find first gear is allmost use less (way to low) and it's going to be like riding an automatic. You can stay in 5th gear riding thru town and just give it some gas, be up to highway speeds in seconds. I have 14,000 miles on it by tomorrow and that's from april till now. All it's had for service is the two oil changes and rear gear oil change. What i like is when at a stop you can have all the electric stuff on and not be worried about the battery draw. The wife doesn't like all the space between us now. Have fun with your new ride. nyjerry

yep... I tried an '03 Wing and that pretty much sold me ... just haven't decided yet if I want to invest more money ... (invest ??? what am I saying?? LOL) ... what I really mean is "borrow". My RSMV is almost paid for and the question is, do I really want to be making payments again?... kinda struggling with that one.

My only issue with the Wing is the seat ... found it very uncomfortable. Other than that, it is an awesome ride!

Just got home from a trip out to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Put about 1100 miles on it on the trip. A LOT of mountain roads in addition to the Parkway. Also, had the pleasure (?) of riding through the rain on mountain roads with WET leaves on 'em on the trip home. My impressions are as follows:

Great ride, very comfortable and stable,

Handling is very good, much lighter feel than the Venture

Lowest MPG for the trip was 39.8, best was 43.9

Seat is NOT as comfortable as the RSV but still pretty good

LOVE the heated grips/seat on those 40 F mornings

Overall, I am Very Pleased. Bike is now 14 days old and has 1650 miles on it! :smile5:

I have test driven the 1800 GW on four different occassions. Love the handling, great center of gravity, fantastic creature comforts and mucho power. Buuuuttttt it hurts my knees to have my feet on the pegs. Tried a friends GW with floreboards but felt like I was getting prepped to have a baby. With all its inherent distractions the RSV still feels great to me. And at almost 65 years old and the RSMV paid for, I think I will stay with my ride. It is up over 134 K miles and has never let me down. It is like riding with a great old friend now.

:farmer:

Having never sat on a Wing I can't imagine what it's like but I hear if you're tall you won't be comfortable. True? I'm 6'5.

I'm 6'4" and loved my 2003 GL1800 and had no issues with room or comfort. Back rest makes a whole lot of difference also. My 1st Gen gets to my knees after a couple of hours. Miss my wing every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my first small road trip on it this past weekend..Went to Lawton OK and pulling my Aluma MCT trailer 39MPG at 70MPH (Few times hit 95 to test it out a little) for most of trip then 60-65 in a POURING rain and high winds.Coming home VERY HIGH WINDS gusts at 50+MPH slowed to 55-60 alot 39-40 MPG. Also at the Hard 8 BBQ in Stephenville went thru a HUGE pothole,took in all the MC and trailer 1/2 the MC was in water at one point surprisingly held it up with my other half on it..No I didnt see the hole the entire parking lot was a lake at that time! Very impressed with the bike so far.