IGNORED

svchost.exe using 99% cpu

My home desktop PC has a problem.

A while back the PC that I mainly use for Quicken/Banking slowed down to a crawl. It is an older Gateway 1.3GHz with only 256meg RAM running WinXP Pro.

Long story short I found SVCHOST.EXE is using 99% of the CPU. I have run MalwareBytes, Adaware, SpyBot and scanned it with Symantec and Forticlient antiviruses. Nothing found!

I re-ran SP3, which did not help. Ran XP install "repair" then SP3 again. Problem still there. Oh and while FireFox works fine, IE8 will not open except in Safe Mode. I have also tried re-installing IE8.

Tried several things Google found, but none of that worked.

Any Ideas?????

Walter

While your in the task manager kill the svchost that is running so high. See if it has any effect . You may also right click on it and tell it to end the process tree. I forgot but there is a way to tell which file is launching the scvhost. I'll try to look it up. Try uninstalling IE8. that will put it back to IE6 and you can reinstall. Did you clear all the cookies and such out of IE8?

I had a page & a half of questions & recommendations for info to pull off the machine for us to analyze, and a couple of things to do, but in reality I truly believe you just need more RAM. Put in a Gig and your problems should be gone.

I made a copy of what I had ready to post so if you would rather see that than this, I'll sure post it, but I don't think you'll need them if you get more memory.

I can't believe I noticed this post right when I am going through the exact situation with my home desktop. 100% CPU usage. I have ran every virus detector I have. I didn't know which file was doing it, but now I will stop the SVCHOST.exe and see if that fixes it. Then I will try to figure out what is loading it.

PC is back!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Used MSCONFIG unchecked everything - Problem still there.

Started pulling hardware. Started with the NIC. Problem GONE. Installed another NIC PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

IE8 works, Sound card works, MS update works (found 89 updates outstanding), System Idle is 90-99% :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

PC is back!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Used MSCONFIG unchecked everything - Problem still there.

Started pulling hardware. Started with the NIC. Problem GONE. Installed another NIC PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

IE8 works, Sound card works, MS update works (found 89 updates outstanding), System Idle is 90-99% :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon:

Thats great news!!!

I have a 512 stick of pc133 if you want it...I cant use it anymore. I have a couple other parts for that era computer also. You do need more RAM in that box. Also CrapCleaner does well with cookies and stuff. My newest find is "Kasperkys TDSS remover'. I had the google search highjack rootkit. This app saved me, from a reload. I also run SuperAntiSpyware Pro, and Malwarebytes free.

I have a 512 stick of pc133 if you want it...

Thanks, but this is an old Gateway box and takes a "special pair" of chips. That's the reason I have never upgraded it. It started life as an "ME" box and I upgraded it to Win2K then eventually XP. It runs "OK" as I don't use it for much other than Quicken, a remote link to the company AS/400 and VR.org.

I'm having same problem but mine is in ConcastAntiSpy.exe. New computer 1 month ago and got comcast 2 days later. Problem started about 2 weeks ago. After many many attempts with Comcast they determined it's a virus that attached itself to that file. Every morning when I start computer I go into Task Master and stop process on that file. The place that I got the computer from agrees and will go thru my computer (no charge) when I take it to the Monday. So when they find the problem I will post what thry found.

Just to load XP is taking up more RAM than you have in that computer.

Once you are out of RAM the computer will try to use hard drive space as RAM and everything will happen very slowly or not at all.

With your requirement for special RAM you can pick up a computer that will be slightly better than what you have and is more easily upgraded for real cheap.