IGNORED

Firearm question

RoadKill

I sure hope that this doesn't turn into a debate. What he asked was:

My question is to those of you that conceal carry. What do you do with your weapon in a situation like this. Can't take it on the ship, but I'm a little concerned about locking it in the vehicle for 6 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He didn't ask if he SHOULD carry..he didn't ask what anybody thought about a person's right to carry..etc....he didn't ask if he should leave it at home. He simply asked what OTHERS WHO CARRY do with their firearms in such situations.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in a big tourist area and spent way to much time and money at what we call the strip. A friend of mines family had a gocart track. All the brothers were real small guys. Any way one night I was down there and this guy that towered over me ( I am 6'2") was there with his girlfriend. He got all pissed off because he thought the ride was to short and was going to whip the brothers ass that was running it that night. The brother ducked into their little shack there and came out with a .22 rifle. It was a funny sight to watch the big guy leave his girlfriend and go running down the strip as fast as he could go. The cops showed up and hauled the brother off for questioning but I heard later they let him go because he had done nothing wrong.

Yes Freebird, you have it right. This is turning south real quick. Keep it simple and answer the original question. This is not a debate on gun carry but a simple question.

:farmer:

I sure hope that this doesn't turn into a debate. What he asked was:

My question is to those of you that conceal carry. What do you do with your weapon in a situation like this. Can't take it on the ship, but I'm a little concerned about locking it in the vehicle for 6 days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He didn't ask if he SHOULD carry..he didn't ask what anybody thought about a person's right to carry..etc....he didn't ask if he should leave it at home. He simply asked what OTHERS WHO CARRY do with their firearms in such situations.

Glad I live in Canada ! Carrying a weapon while travelling??? Would never consider it !

And yes..... Canadians do leave their doors unlocked !!

And I say, "Glad I live in Australia. Carry a weapon wilst travelling? Would never consider.

And yes - Aussies leave their doors unlocked as well."

Americans and their right to bear arms. Sheesh!!!! :soapbox:

(End of discussion!)

I live in a open carry state, I carry all the time, This state also views your conveyance as an extension of your home, it's legal to carry concealed in your vehicle,motorcycle, Even down to a bicycle if that's what your conveyance is.

I refuse to be a victim based on my own disregard for personal responsibility for myself and my family.

keep in mind that no one is a victim of violent crime until they are and that could be any time any where.

put the weapon in a safety deposit box at a local bank. just take it apart like you were cleaning it, place it in a bank bag and stick it in the box.

As a law enforcement agent, in this particular situation I would leave my weapon at home secured in my gun safe. Fortunatly, I can carry anywhere in the US under law! :cool10:

You must be federal? As a Deputy S,O, I was able to carry anywhere in my state but not across state lines even though the ID was respected in many other states.

congrats to you!

The Flip-Flop

I spend a lot of time at gun ranges and was amazed with some of the stories I was hearing. To make a long story short around 50% of the folks I talked to had some way been victims. After hearing a few of these stories I decided to listen to as many of them as I could. When a new face walked in we got to talking and I asked, why are you here, each and every time it was because they had been a victim of some kind, most of them would say never again. This got my curiosity and by listening to them many would tell me that they were against guns and a law biding citizen carrying a hand gun. But after becoming a victim that all change. Now it's all about protecting yourself. Well it's what I call the flip-flop being total against guns and only after becoming a victim did he /she flip-flop and now all for carrying guns. Just remember bad guys don't have or care about laws, they carry anyways, bad people will allways have guns.

Carrying a firearm is a huge responsibility. Knowing when and how could save you

and your love ones.

I have taken several Training and Tactical courses most of them in the military.

I'm also a reloaded.

Edited by Al Bates

:rotf:I think I'd stay away from that side of town if I thought I would need that much.. :rotf::rotf:

Oh and I forgot the 150 rds shotgun ........

Actually been going to 3 gun shoots here lately. Usually don't need that much ammo as I share it amongst our team when it is my turn to buy.

That's nice of Dragon Rider offering to hold your weapon for you.

BEER30

You must be federal? As a Deputy S,O, I was able to carry anywhere in my state but not across state lines even though the ID was respected in many other states.

congrats to you!

Cruser, you are waaaay behind the times. Google for the "law enforcement safety act of 2004".

Active or retired can carry ANYWHERE in the U.S. States can't say a thing about it.

I have to laugh, in good fun, at the poster in Canada about never locking your doors. I went to Hamilton (Ontario I believe) last year to teach at a LE seminar. I was there for almost a week and learned a lot about Canada. At least this part of Canada. I know burglaries are a pretty big business for these officers and their 4 legged partners. So are other petty crimes. I know firearms are not the issue we have but there is still plenty of crime. .

You are correct, but I always figure a locked house or car is a deterrent for a honest crook.

I always get a chuckle out of these threads, they are interesting

Brad

As a law enforcement agent, in this particular situation I would leave my weapon at home secured in my gun safe. Fortunatly, I can carry anywhere in the US under law! :cool10:

I will never understand why LEO have more rights than any civilian... :witch_brew:

Any who... back on track...

Here is a version of what I use.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault-300.html

It has a cable to attach around the spare tire...other metal fixture in the car... or under the seat (etc).

A FYI...when opening the safe, there is a "screw" that holds the mechanism in place...put a little lock tite on this to keep it from backing out.

I have the small one in my bags and holds my Ultra carry with the 3" barrell... the larger one will hold a full sized 1911 with no problem (I used the large on when I went to Costa Rica for an IDPA match)

I assume you are aware of the federal transport rules for transporting through states that do not have reciprocity with your home state.

The biggest reason cars get broken into is people leave stuff in plain sight like gps in the windshield, laptop, mp3 players and cell phones on the seat. Hide it your trunk behind one of those carpeted walls or near the spare shrimpy tire maybe in a cloth bag to disguise it further. Crooks arent going to spend all day tearing through your car at the Disney parking lot. Leave nothing in view in the passenger compartment and you should be fine.

exerpt taken from : http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

QUESTION 7. I am a Florida license holder and will be driving through several states on an upcoming trip. Some of these states do not have reciprocity with Florida. If I plan to take my firearm with me, what precautions should I take for transporting my weapon in my automobile securely and legally?

INTERSTATE TRAVEL WITH FIREARMS FALLS UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF FEDERAL LAWS. The relevant section from United States Code is quoted in its entirety below.

Sec 18 USC 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Interstate travel with a firearm is, therefore, permissible as long as the firearm is unloaded and in such a place that it is completely inaccessible (preferably the trunk of the vehicle).

HOWEVER, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT CITIZENS PLANNING TO TRAVEL WITH A FIREARM SHOULD CALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OR LICENSING AUTHORITIES IN THE STATES TO OR THROUGH WHICH THEY WILL BE TRAVELING TO OBTAIN THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING WEAPON TRANSPORT LAWS. IN SOME CASES, STATE LAW TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER FEDERAL LAW REGARDING INTERSTATE TRANSPORT OF FIREARMS.

Do not leave it at home. You could regret it very much.

I have a steel box in the trunk of my car mounted to the back seat with 1/2" bolts and nylon locking nuts. This box is not totally indestructible but I will delay the crook a while trying to get it open or tear it off its mount. It has a combination buttons on it with a emergency power points on the outside if the batteries go dead. It is also accessible with one of the round keys like they use to open a coke machine.

It was not that expensive...about $85 and store your weapon in that box and don't think about it again till you get back. If it gets stolen in all that...then your insurance should pay for it cause they tore your car all up trying to get it.

I try not go places that I cannot carry my gun except to work. I leave it in the car locked up...that is a condition of employment. I am fully armed when I leave work.

I know some folks are amazed at some of us that carry guns all the time...I am amazed at folks with their heads in the sand thinking "it will never happen to me" By the way...if the shooting starts in some McDonalds or a gas station, do not expect me to save you...my weapon saves only me and my loved ones...the rest of you are on your own.