IGNORED

Geicon Motorcycle Insurance

raceman62race

Back on Aug 31st, someone ran into me from a glancing head on collision while I was sitting at a traffic light waiting on it to turn green. The other party was clearly at fault and they were cited for wreckless driving. I am letting my insurance company fix/total my bike and they will go after the other party's insurance to get their maney back. It tore up my 08 Venture pretty badly: entire front end,,,fairing busted, forks bent, handle bars, rear view mirror, wind screen busted, passing lights and blinkers busted. And everything down the right side of the bike....floorboards, fairing around the radiator, front and rear crash bar, saddle bag and the right side of the trunk suffered road rash. After talking to the Geico adjuster, he said the repair bill has to be around 90% of the value of the bike. I don't want the bike back and I want it totaled but 90% seems crazy. The repair shop hasn't finished the quote but I think 90% seems high. If they won't total it, how can I fight back?

Back on Aug 31st, someone ran into me from a glancing head on collision while I was sitting at a traffic light waiting on it to turn green. The other party was clearly at fault and they were cited for wreckless driving. I am letting my insurance company fix/total my bike and they will go after the other party's insurance to get their maney back. It tore up my 08 Venture pretty badly: entire front end,,,fairing busted, forks bent, handle bars, rear view mirror, wind screen busted, passing lights and blinkers busted. And everything down the right side of the bike....floorboards, fairing around the radiator, front and rear crash bar, saddle bag and the right side of the trunk suffered road rash. After talking to the Geico adjuster, he said the repair bill has to be around 90% of the value of the bike. I don't want the bike back and I want it totaled but 90% seems crazy. The repair shop hasn't finished the quote but I think 90% seems high. If they won't total it, how can I fight back?

If the forks are bent, there is a good chance the frame is bent. Make sure someone qualified checks this out. I had Geico, but I just switched to Dairyland, cheaper and $5000.00 of accessories included.

With the damage to your bike, and the cost of replacement parts, you may be at that figure anyway. But, have that frame checked out by an expert...

I would like to know if you were hurt in any way, a cage running down the side of your bike while your on it!!! Whew....

I also think 90% is high, I would call Geico,and ask them, just to see what they say over the adjuster...

Guest tx2sturgis
... If they won't total it, how can I fight back?

Fight back to WHOM? If the other drivers insurance company wont pay up, or delays payment, its up to YOUR insurance company to pay YOU ( or possibly the lien holder), then subrogate the claim.

From your description of the damages, I'm pretty sure it will be more than 90% of the value of the bike...those repair parts are VERY expensive.

Good ole GEICO. 90% is ridiculous. Every company I know of uses 75%. I recently talked to the owner of one of the largest body shops here and I asked how he felt about the lizard. He said he would rather not do work if the lizard is the company but he can't refuse a customer. I asked why. He said they "go light" on the estimate. I asked what go light means. He said they try to use the cheapest parts and repair things that need to be replaced. For example he said on a bent door they want him to put a new skin on it. I asked what is a new skin. He said that is where you take the metal off the door and keep the frame but put new metal on the frame. He said it won't last and sometimes he has refused to do it. Every customer that has come in my office except one and is with the lizard and wants to change companies and I ask them why has said becasue they had a claim and the lizard jacked them around. I am replacing more and more lizard polices every year.

I would like to know if you were hurt in any way, a cage running down the side of your bike while your on it!!! Whew....

I also think 90% is high, I would call Geico,and ask them, just to see what they say over the adjuster...

I was briused up a fair amount. Especially on my left hip. It threw me about 6 feet in the air and about 10 feet over according to witnesses. I remember the viloent crash and I remember getting up off the street but I don' t remember the air time or how I landed. Briuses indicate I landed on my left hip. It was a glancing head on collision from about the 10:00 o;clock direction. That is what caused all the front end damage and all the damage to the right side of the bike is from road rash. I was 3rd one back in a left hand turn lane at a traffic signal. Some 18 year old kid in a mini van came flying around the intersection and crashed into the left rear quarter panel of the car in front of me. Then hit me from a glancing head on collision and then proceeded to hit the car that was in the right hand lane next to me on the left front....even after carshing into the car in front of me and crashing into me, he still was going fast enough to spin the last car he hit, 90 degrees to traffic flow. According to the accident report, he was cited for wreckless driving

Keep in mind....anytime your company responds to a claim, even a subrogated claim, it will show up as a loss against your policy. That is the case in the state of Missouri anyway.

Usually 75% is the threshold for a totaled vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been told the same thing here in Georgia by the insurance company. You can get it taken care of faster going through your insurance company but it goes against your record. I even asked if I did let my insurance company take care of it and then get their money from the at faults company if my premium would go up and the answer was probably not it all depends. So I decided to go the slow route and just deal with the other guys insurance.

I think when you are dealing with insurance companies you are going to be unhappy with all of them. Obviously Yammer Dan must have had a bad experience with Dairyland. I have had bad experiences with GIECO and ALLSTATE. A guy pulled out right in front of me and I T-Boned him. He had Allstate. It took Allstate more than a month just to look at my bike. It took two years to collect from Allstate. I was with Gieco for 14 years. My son had an accident and they jacked up the rate. I looked around and saved $1200 every six months on our car insurance even with the accident by switching to someone else. Gieco called and wanted to know why I changed insurance companies after 14 years. I told them I would stay with them but they would have to match the other rate. Gieco said goodbye. Gieco and Progressive advertise more than any other insurance companies. Who do you think is paying for their advertising?

Guest scarylarry
I think when you are dealing with insurance companies you are going to be unhappy with all of them. Obviously Yammer Dan must have had a bad experience with Dairyland. I have had bad experiences with GIECO and ALLSTATE. A guy pulled out right in front of me and I T-Boned him. He had Allstate. It took Allstate more than a month just to look at my bike. It took two years to collect from Allstate. I was with Gieco for 14 years. My son had an accident and they jacked up the rate. I looked around and saved $1200 every six months on our car insurance even with the accident by switching to someone else. Gieco called and wanted to know why I changed insurance companies after 14 years. I told them I would stay with them but they would have to match the other rate. Gieco said goodbye. Gieco and Progressive advertise more than any other insurance companies. Who do you think is paying for their advertising?[/QUOTE]

This is very true.....

I was briused up a fair amount. Especially on my left hip. It threw me about 6 feet in the air and about 10 feet over according to witnesses. I remember the viloent crash and I remember getting up off the street but I don' t remember the air time or how I landed. Briuses indicate I landed on my left hip. It was a glancing head on collision from about the 10:00 o;clock direction. That is what caused all the front end damage and all the damage to the right side of the bike is from road rash. I was 3rd one back in a left hand turn lane at a traffic signal. Some 18 year old kid in a mini van came flying around the intersection and crashed into the left rear quarter panel of the car in front of me. Then hit me from a glancing head on collision and then proceeded to hit the car that was in the right hand lane next to me on the left front....even after carshing into the car in front of me and crashing into me, he still was going fast enough to spin the last car he hit, 90 degrees to traffic flow. According to the accident report, he was cited for wreckless driving

There are times when a good accident attorney is invaluable. This is one of them. You need to be compensated for your injuries as well as the bike.

Mike

Whis is Dairyland a joke?

Crackhead without lights on pulled into road and ran over me. Took 4 yrs to get anything out of them and it was very little after they figured out I wasn't going away. I got stuck with over 100,000 in medical. All of them are rude smart a**es and I would like 1 min alone with them. I can invent new cuss words talking about Dairyland and their Parent company Sentry Insurance. Lowest of the low.

Had Progressive for a number of years and never had a problem except for the price. Every year it kept going up without any good reason. Haven't had, to that point an accident or moving violation in over 25 years. Switched to Dairyland and for some reason I had constant billing issues. Prices kept changing and invoices would get 'lost in the mail'. I had to keep a ledger of when to call them to make sure they took their payment out. Got tired of that and switched to Gieco and they were good to me. Had them for three months when we ran into a herd of deer on 5/30/10 and totaled my bike. They paid my bike off the following Friday withour any hassles. Then the adjuster came by the house and picked up our damaged gear and paid us for that. the only issue I had with them was that they wouldn't pay the medical to the hospital or Dr. We did it thru our insurance, submitted a bill to Gieco and they paid us, we then returned that to the insurance company after covering our deductable.

GETTING OFF INSURANCE COMPANIES AND BACK TO YOUR BIKE....

WITH ALL YOU SAY IS WRONG WITH IT, THE PRICE OF PARTS MAY NOT ADD UP TO 90% OF ITS WORTH, BUT DONT FORGET THAT THE LABOR INVOLVED NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED AND ADDED TO THE PRICE OF THE PARTS AND THAT WILL PUT YOU OVER THE 90% VALUE OF YOUR BIKE.

NO NEED TO WORRY...I AM SURE YOUR BIKE IS TOTALED...:thumbsup2:

Crackhead without lights on pulled into road and ran over me. Took 4 yrs to get anything out of them and it was very little after they figured out I wasn't going away. I got stuck with over 100,000 in medical. All of them are rude smart a**es and I would like 1 min alone with them. I can invent new cuss words talking about Dairyland and their Parent company Sentry Insurance. Lowest of the low.

Thanks, I have never had a claim and hope I never do. Next time I talk to the Ins Agency I will have to ask about it. I don't deal direct, I go through an agency.

There are times when a good accident attorney is invaluable. This is one of them. You need to be compensated for your injuries as well as the bike.

Mike

I do have an attorney and he is handling my personal injury part and we are going straight for the at fault parties insurance company for personal injury. I'm going through my insurance company for the repair of my bike as per my attorney's advise. Reason being is we don't think the at fault party is going to have enough insurance to cover everything that was damaged. The at fault party was driving an older vehicle (2002 Chrysler mini van) and in GA, all you are required to have is $25,000.00 liability coverage. The first car damaged was a 1996 Crown Vic...book value $4600.00. Then he hit my 08 Venture and the last car he hit which had the most damage from the 2 cars involved, was a 2009 Caddilac CTS. Book value over $38,000.00 and I am pretty sure it suffered frame damage. We don't know how much insurance the guilty party has but we would bet the farm it is only going to be $25,000.00 and each claim would get a percentage of the allotted coverage and my insurance would have to pick up what was left unpaid on my bike. So there is a pretty good chance my insurance company would end up getting involved even if I persued the guilty party's insurance directly.

I do have an attorney and he is handling my personal injury part and we are going straight for the at fault parties insurance company for personal injury. I'm going through my insurance company for the repair of my bike as per my attorney's advise. Reason being is we don't think the at fault party is going to have enough insurance to cover everything that was damaged. The at fault party was driving an older vehicle (2002 Chrysler mini van) and in GA, all you are required to have is $25,000.00 liability coverage. The first car damaged was a 1996 Crown Vic...book value $4600.00. Then he hit my 08 Venture and the last car he hit which had the most damage from the 2 cars involved, was a 2009 Caddilac CTS. Book value over $38,000.00 and I am pretty sure it suffered frame damage. We don't know how much insurance the guilty party has but we would bet the farm it is only going to be $25,000.00 and each claim would get a percentage of the allotted coverage and my insurance would have to pick up what was left unpaid on my bike. So there is a pretty good chance my insurance company would end up getting involved even if I persued the guilty party's insurance directly.

You might want to look for a new attorney. Your attorney should have told you that you can demand a statement from the at faults insurance company and ask for the insurance limits. You have to demand it in writing and you will get an answer in writing. You don't have to guess. I know since I was told that and I wrote Allstate a letter and they let me know the at fault party in my accident had $50K. As for going through your insurance company for the repair you might have to do that if the at fault party doesn't have enough insurance but the bad part of that is that it goes as a claim against your insurance. Sad but true. That is where your no fault insurance comes into play. If the at fault party is under insured your no fault insurance picks up the rest. It is a lot quicker to go through your insurance and they have a vested interest in keeping you happy where the at faults insurance company could care less if you are satisfied.

Hey raceman62race,

In georgia there are two uninusred motorist options. One is called reduced and the other is called added on. The reduced is the old uninsured motorist that only pays you if the other party is uninsured. The added on option is really uninsured/underinsured motorist. If you have the added on option and the other party pays you but it is not enough you can collect your uninsured motorist in addition. So, if the other party has only the minimum required in Georgia which is $25,000 and it isn't enough you can collect your uninsured motorist in addition. Any attorney will know this. This change came about because an attorney in Georgia was hit by an uninsured driver with the minimum coverage and he wanted to collect his uninsured motorist also but couldn't because of the way the law was written. But guess what? The attorney was in the legislature so he got the law changed. I have never put the reduced option on a poicy I write. I always recommend the added on option. Insurance companies get a report called a CLUE report. It is like a credit report but it shows the company any claim that has been filed on your insurance. It will show whether the claim was an at fault or not at fault accident or a comprehensive claim. Insurance companies can't surcharge you for a not at fault accident but it can affect your rate in some cases. Most companies today give a "claims free" discount for being claims free for three years or five years. To qualify for this discount you must be claims free, so even a not at fault accident can keep you from receiving the claims free discount but you can't be surcharged for the not at fault accident.

Hey raceman62race,

I just read your post on another thread where you state you have two bikes insured with geico for $325.00 per year. I'll bet you don't even have uninsured motorist on your bikes. This is what I hate about geico, they will give you a low rate so the salesman can make a sell but I rarely see a gieco cycle policy with uninsured motorist. They usually leave it off so they can have a low rate. But you got a low rate.