IGNORED

New guy with questions

Guest Tinman

Well, as you can see from the answers to this thread, there are lots of different opinions about the weight of this bike. Personally, I do not think it is top heavy at all. I have over 100,000 miles on my RSV, about half of them two-up. I weigh 250 lbs and my wife is about 150, and to me this bike feels very light and handles fantastically.

I guess the bottom line is that you just need to find one and take a test ride. My only caution to you is that you should absolutely NOT make any opinions about an RSV that has the horrible stock Brickstone tires. ANY other tires will be fine, but if it has Brickstone crap on it, the bike WILL feel very heavy at slow speeds. Some people may feel that it is hard to believe that a particular brand of tire would make such a huge difference (especially when they are fitted as stock tires), but it absolutely does.

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

What I mean by 'top heavy' is that compared to most of the bikes he has BEEN riding, its top heavy. The fairing, the 6 gallons of fuel, with a trunk full of gear, and a passenger...yeah its top heavy. Not unmanageably so, but if you lose some footing on a loose surface, that sucker can remind you that gravity is NOT just a theory!

:happy34:

And by the way Tinman, some of the RSVs seem to come from the factory with the Bridgestones, and some come with the Dunlops..404 (or is it 402?) Anyway, most of us upgrade the tires to the Dunlop E3 or the Avon Venom at the first (and second) tire change.

Edited by tx2sturgis

As for touring bike the RSV 1999-2010 by far is the best ride. I pretty much ridden every touring bike out there and I have to say the Venture by far is the best for leg room and long distance ride. And like the Gold Wing these Venture motors run all day with no worries in the world!!

HD riders call the Venture XVZ motor Bullet proof or Old faithful:thumbsup2:

As for inspections go I would look for the following

- Leaking or blown shock

- Clutch whine - mine has it but I'm used to it and don't worry about it!!!!!

- Maintenance records???

and most of all >(TEST RIDE)

Treat it like you stole it!!!! You will see the Beast come out I Promise:happy34:These motors love to run......You will not hurt these motors.........

We just came back from Eureka Springs AR 6hr ride home only time we stopped was for fuel and one rest break (take off jackets)thats it rest of the time was on the road .

Two up Venture fully loaded with ice chest getting 38MPG doing 75-80 MPH

:thumbsup2:

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 20 years old back in 1967. I have almost always ridden standard bikes like a Triumph Tiger 650, a BMW R79/6 (I think!) a Honda Shadow, and now a 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. My wife no longer drives her own bike, and I have been selfish for the last few years and haven't given up my HD to get something she can ride on behind me. My search for a truly comfy bike has led here. Every review seems to say the same couple of things - the bike is super comfortable, smooth and powerful - and weighs a TON! I am 63 in pretty good shape, but am I getting in over my head here? I'm 6ft even, and weigh about 260. Can I handle this beautiful monster?:confused07:

I'm basically the exact same size and I love riding this bike (RSV). NOTE: Consider either getting leveling links or using a smaller dia tire which makes slow handling much easier. Weight is not a factor until you are going slow. You can handle this with no problems. I hadn't ridden in 25 years when I got my bike and once I changed the front tire it was a whole new experience.

Welcome to the site now go out and get a yourself one!!

:hurts:

My Angel only gets on the bike when the kickstand is up, and I have both feet firmly planted, with a good grip on the bars. I feel I have more control this way, and I'm not lifting both our weight off of the stand. Not a biggie though, as she is tiny.

I'm with you. I'm about 200lbs, girlfriend about 150. I always get on first, (connect head set), stand the bike up, raise the sidestand, start the motor (cluch in). I make sure both hands are on the grips, both feet solid (boots with non-slip soles) and give the girlfriend a nod to get on. I wait until she is settled in (head set plugged in) and lets me know she is ready.

If I have to back up the bike out of a parking spot, passenger floorboards are up, engine off, sidestand up, with me siting on he bike. Once I'm ready to go (with bike pointed in the direction I want to to - no sense having to do a sharp slow turn and take the chance !) I'll lower the passenger floorboards, hands on the grips, feet planted...

From this...

- get your wife into a certain rythm of knowing when to get on the bike and not to make sudden moves at slow speeds

- wear boots/shoes with non-slip soles. Sneakers won't do it !

- when making slow turns, look to where you want to go. Like doing curves, best to look further down the road. Looking 3' in front of the bike will make you more unstable than looking 10' ahead.