IGNORED

Should new tire be perfectly Round? E3

RSTDdog

So I had a new Dunlop E3 Front tire mounted and balanced. For the record the date code is 3707 and came from Tucker Rocky via my Independent local dealer.

Been riding everyday to work to scrub the tire in and was noticing a a very mild hop or bounce. Its most noticeable around 40 mph and originally thought it was road surface, but noticed it on different roads and surfaces. Its more obvious on decel. Given that I hadn't noticed this ( or remembered it) with the OEM Bridgestone front with 16k miles, I thought it was odd.

Theres is 1 1/2 ounces of weight on the tire, in close proximity to the valve stem.

Yesterday, after the bike sat up over night, I jacked the bike up, spun the front wheel and could see a notable flat spot in the tire, with the naked eye just using the fender tip as a reference. Spun it several times and marked the spot with blue tape.

Today, with the weight off the front wheel for 24 hours, I could not find the flat spot as easily as yesterday (other than the blue tape). So I set up a reference bar across the tread supported by bricks. When I spin the tire, the difference between the tire touching the bar and not is about 1/16" The 1/16" Gap is still where the blue tape is.

I haven't marked the start and stop points for touching and gap, but it touches for a portion of the rotation and there is a gap for a portion. I stop rotating when I perceive the gap to be widest and that's the 1/16" point.

Would this tire be considered out of round?

Should I do this test with the tire warmed up? (Although the hop doesn't seem to go way with the tire warmed up or after riding awhile)

Folks with E3's, do you notice the tires flat spotting if you let the bike sit?

Thanks,

RSTDdog

I haven't noticed any problems out of the 2 sets I've had so far.

You might try breaking it down, and spinning the tire 180 degrees on the rim, then rebalancing it. A lot of times, that takes care of the problem.

I think you need to look real close at the bead of the tire and make sure it is seated evenly all the way around. There should be 2 small lines next to the bead...use use this as a reference.

I have never notices my E3's being flat sided. I changed the rear a few months back with my 2nd E3 and the front has over 20,000 miles on it still holding up good.

I had brand new Avons put on my o5 and had sort of the same problem. Wobble / shimmy when letting off gas. Took it back to the shop and dealer lifted the bike up and spun the front tire. That is where it got interesting, bead was set good and true. But tire had a bow in it side to side and was not "round" tire would go in and out as we spun it. Only time I could tell was when I let off the gas. We took it of the bike and checked balance and it was dead on.

Avon sent a new tire "free" but it didn't get here by the long weekend. So dealer put on a Dunlop E3 he had (we tested the bike with it on before telling Avon too) and I bought it. Turns out it was of the 130 size not the 150 size...... After just 100 miles on the 130 I will never put the 150 back on! WOW is all I can say. " Now I have a 150 new Avon just sitting in my garage."

Avon had less noise than the Dunlop and Dunlop or Avon don't matter to me but I am hooked on the 130 now.

Long story short have the front tire checked, (even new tires can be bad) or the steering head bolt could be loose too.

Bryan

If I'm not mistaken your tire was made in 2007. Reason I bring this up is when I ran several Goodyear stores we had a problem of tires setting on the shelf to long would develop flat spots. they would straighten out over time by being driven down the road but the customer dint want to drive it out which I did not blame them!. there's no telling how long your tire has been setting on the shelf..

I would ask for another tire "NEW" not old stock......

I have a similar problem with my rear tire it's .25 inches out of round and makes the bike feel like it's hopping at slow speeds and floating at high speed took me awhile to figure out it was the rear tire. I thing I flat spotted it during the Motorcycle Safety course.

I had a new E3 put on the front about a month ago - noticed the "bobbing" or hopping/bouncing type ride and took it back to the dealer right away - he replaced it with another one and the problem was solved. I am not as technically savvy as the rest of the folks here and unfortunately, I did not follow-up on why the tire behaved that way - just to let you know, its happened to me as well.

Cheers

Eugene

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely a bounce. No shimmy/wobble. Steering head feels good, no play in it.

Not sure how long it would take to run out the flat spot if it will at all. I have put probably 100-150 miles on the tire so far.

Going back for another tire. Hopefully he can get it before we leave for Indy on Thursday. Try and have them check for one that's not 3 years old.

RSTDdog

Avon is sending me a new front tire mine was 1/32 out and they said that was unacceptable. When I took the old tire off all this white gunk was on the rim. Anyone tell me what it is?

http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/xx248/etcswjoe/Front%20Rim/

Looks like Ride On or something similar was used and not cleaned off when new tires mounted.