IGNORED

Another tire question

I need to buy tires and I have a couple of question

#1 - 150/80-16 or the narrower MT90B16 on the front

#2 - how many of you put RIDE ON or some other product in your tires

#3 - Is there anyone out there in WI that has a tire changer that would be willing to give me a hand changing my tires? I would appreciate the help!

FYI - I am going to buy the Elite 3's for tires they seem to be the tire of choice for a majority of the people on this forum

Thanks and ride safe

Jeff

I need to buy tires and I have a couple of question

#1 - 150/80-16 or the narrower MT90B16 on the front

#2 - how many of you put RIDE ON or some other product in your tires

#3 - Is there anyone out there in WI that has a tire changer that would be willing to give me a hand changing my tires? I would appreciate the help!

FYI - I am going to buy the Elite 3's for tires they seem to be the tire of choice for a majority of the people on this forum

Thanks and ride safe

Jeff

I just spent the last 3 days researching this (here and elsewhere). You can't go wrong with the elite 3.

As far as front tire size, most guys who put the smaller front tire on rave about it. After looking deeper into it, I think the stock Bridgestones are so bad that ANY other tire seems to be a lot better.

The 130 tire will make it handle better at slow speeds, and will make it a little sportier. The larger tire will ride better over rough surfaces, and may be the better choice if you don't ride your bike like it's an R1.

It's really hard to research tire threads, since there ar so many. Some of the older ones (from a couple years ago) were the most useful, but it takes a long time to find them.

Guest Boomerbiker

I have ridden the Venture 31,600 miles with the 130/90 front tire and find the handling to be better than the stock 150. Others have suggested it makes the bike less stable, but that has not been my experience in any weather condition.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I ahve the 130 on the front and will never go back to the 150. I have enough sense to stay out of the cracks in the road where I can. Low speed handling especially in Parking lots is VASTLY improved and hight speed handling is just as good as before. I took a 1400 mile trip afte adding the new tire and have not had a single issue. Not having to wrestle the bike at slower speeds is well worth any issues I may see on the hwy which so far I have not and I have 6,000 miles on this set. I am going on a 2700 mile trip next month and when I get bach I may have to change tires and the new front will be another 130. Just my thoughts

I prefer the 150 tire over the 130. I tried the 130 for about 1500-2000 miles and I just didnt like the highway handling. Since I run over 75 mph (closer to 85-90) on the interstate I felt the bike was squirrily at those speeds. Never felt that with the 150. I replaced it with a 150 and all is well. If its easier steering your looking for try the leveling links from Diamond R along with the 150. But for me the stock links and the 150 works fine.

I too like the Avons. I havent tried the E3's yet since I never had issues with the Avons. Why ruin a good thing? Metzelers....no...period! I prefer my rubber to stay on the tire. I also use Ride-On sealant. Only thing I suggest with ride on is clean the rim every tire change or it will build up over time and get messy in there. Took a scotchbrite wheel on a drill to clean mine up along with acetone. My fault for letting it go for three tire changes. Product seals holes well, much better then the Green stuff.

Tire preference is a pretty personal matter, much like oil brand, etc. Were all partial to one brand over another for various reasons. You wont go wrong with the E3's, or the Avons. :smile5:

I have the leveling links, so no narrow tire for me, thanks. Either or, but not both.

If you get an E3, please post the build date. I just replaced a 150 E3 front because of a cut. The tire I got in March was a 3507. The one I got last week is a 3807. I've been happier.

Ride On? Nope. Plus, Dunlop specifically denies warranty claims if sealants have been used.

Dunlop also doesn't like dry/liquid balancers, or anything other than air. They also won't warrant cracking more than 48 months after manufacture. Plus, if the tire does have a problem they expect you to take it back to the dealer you got it from, and if it's online you are expected to pay all shipping.

I'll be going back to Avons. They may have had some cracking issues, but at least the stood behind the tires without a bunch of run around. I also liked the handling better.

Guest tx2sturgis

The new E3 rear tire that I had put on at Sturgis a week ago, at J&P Cycles, is dated 4809.

Not exactly fresh out of the mold, but new enough.

I found the Avons locally front and back for 314.00 total if I bring in the wheels off the bike they will mount and balance for free seems like a good price now I have to just get up the courage to take the wheels off myself. I found the tech articles it doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do.

The new E3 rear tire that I had put on at Sturgis a week ago, at J&P Cycles, is dated 4809.

Not exactly fresh out of the mold, but new enough.

That's pretty close to the date on the rear that was put on in March. It's the front that is the '07.

I found the Avons locally front and back for 314.00 total if I bring in the wheels off the bike they will mount and balance for free seems like a good price now I have to just get up the courage to take the wheels off myself. I found the tech articles it doesn't seem like it would be to hard to do.

If you don't already have one, or it, you can get a Shop Manual here. You'll want it for the torque specs, if nothing else.

It also helps to have a Carbon One lift adapter, with legs, though a lift (with hockey pucks or some 2x4 scraps) will do.

Other than that taking the wheels off is really a pretty easy job. While you have the rear off, be sure to pull the center out of the wheel and grease the drive pins. While some may tell you I'm crazy and overdoing it (and I can't actually say they're wrong) I use Honda Moly 60 on those pins. This covers the pins and more.

Thanks Steve

I actually have downloaded the manual and I bought the carbon lift adapter with legs last year so I'm all set there. I just get a little nervous working on things like the wheels becauce well you know there pretty important to have as your going dpwn the highway lol

Jeff