IGNORED

Valve Stem

etcswjoe

Had a nice thing happen to me today (not), the valve stem on my front tire separated. I am curious however other than losing all my air is there any symptoms prior to all out failure I should have noticed? It had only been a few days since my last air pressure check.

Joe

If the dealer where you get your tires mounted is using "pull Thru" automotive type valve stems, then you are not getting a quality product. I have seen this more than once, it allows the dealer to install valve stems "faster"?!?! :confused24:The reason a dealer would do this is, it is an easy install for the dealer and they are dirt cheap compared to the nutted type motorcycle valve stem. If you do find that you have an automotive valve stem, I would get it swaped out the next time you have your tire changed.

Earl

My front tire was cupped so I had it changed two weeks ago and I mistakenly assumed they would change out the vavle, however when I talked to the service manager he said it looked in good shape so he did not change it. Needless to say they are correcting the issue at no cost.

I was checking the air pressure yesterday before I went riding and when I took off the tire guage the center of the valve went shooting across the garage. I was thankfull it did not happen at speed.

Joe

I had this happen to me.

Ths only thing that you could have noticed is when you took pressure readings before each time you rode... if there was a little seepage when applying pressure to the valve stem.

Since I was not as dilligent as I am now, I was riding mine...new to me at the time, so I was getting used to the feel of the bike... and it felt like in a hard turn the front tire was slipping a little...felt like it handled like crap! I did not like this bike at all...what did I get myself in to!

checked tire pressure, noticed the leak, added the new valve stem...no problems since. handles much better