IGNORED

Snow City Cycle - do they know how to assemble an RSV ?

XV1100SE

I just bought a 2009 RSV with 2500km on it on July 20th. 1st owner bought it March 3/10 so basically it is a brand new bike. He bought it from Snow City Cycle in Scarborough.

When I took it to the shop I normally deal with in Cambridge (Performance Cycle) for the safety I was expecting they'd look at it and say "new bike, nothing wrong" and give me the safety certificate without really looking at it. When the tech came out to take the bike into the shop in I pointed out that the left side saddlebag lid wouldn't open without hitting the passenger intercom connection. He said that the intercom connector was in the wrong location and said he'd try to put it where it should be. So, expecting a quick turn around to get the safety certificate.... turned out to be about 45 minutes because they basically did a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) on it as well !

The list of things assembled incorrectly were :

1) passenger intercom in wrong location (Performance Cycle put it in the right location)

2) passenger intercom wire pinched because of the way it was routed (hopefully not damaged internally but won't know for sure until I get an intercom)

3) screws used in trunk to fasten it to the bike are not the ones that are supposed to be used and are missing the rubber washers

4) chrome piece in front of wind screen has the middle mounting clips broken (tech said that if it isn't put in place correctly it is easy to break the clips)

5) antennas are reversed

I called Snow City Cycle and they basically said that since the original owner never mentioned these things to them then the bike was assembled correctly and won't offer to correct the issues (the chrome peice apparently can cost around $200 for the part)

Yamaha Canada said that the pdi done by Snow City should have picked up the assembly problems. I said that if the person assembling the bike incorrectly also does the pdi - how would they know they screwed up? They said that it isn't a Yamaha warranty issue and it is soley up to Snow City Cycle if they want to do anything about the issues.

I know these aren't major issues (the chrome peice and pinched intercom wires are my main concerns) but has anyone else had issues with Snow City Cycle?

I have dealt with Snow city since I was a very young lad George is a great guy. That problem may be a one of, I don't know. Bought several bikes and snow machines of him with no problems .

But that was several years ago :bobby:and I now call Calgary, home.

Hope there is not a quality:sick: issue now. NOW good luck keep jabbing him ..:fishin:

• 1 month later...

Update on this....

I've since purchased the J&M headsets and they work correctly so no issue with a pinched wire.

I have been back and forth with Snow City Cycle about the chrome piece in front of the windscreen for the past two months and they don't want to take ownership of the issue. They said they were trying to get Yamaha to cover it under warranty but Yamaha Canada is saying it isn't a warranty issue.

Snow City has talked with the previous owner and he told them he never noticed an issue with the chrome piece. I hadn't noticed it either but it isn't fitting tight against the fairing.... I wouldn't have known what to look for but my local Yamaha dealer saw it when they did the safety in July. Previous owner told them he didn't take it apart and I contacted Snow City right after I had the safety done.

I spoke with the Sales Manager again today and he has said that Yamaha won't cover it under warranty and the owner of the dealer won't either and asked me what I wanted. I've made this clear so many times - neither the previous owner nor I have taken the piece off so it was either a defect from Yamaha or (like my local dealer said) it was broken when Snow City assembled the bike. I'd like them to take responsibility and replace the part even if it costs them money. Today I even offered to split the cost.

I believe I've been getting the run around from Snow City Cycle. I can understand Yamaha saying it isn't a warranty item. Snow City assembled the bike incorrectly (and you can see the list in my original posting on this how many mistakes they made) and should replace the part at no charge to me.

Granted they don't know whether or not I've ever taken it off but my telling them that it was noticed when the safety was done right after I picked it up and they have spoken to the previous owner and he never took it off.... to make a customer happy they should do something about this.

From my experience with Snow City Cycle... they don't know how to assemble a Venture and don't provide very good customer service. The number of times I've called the Sales Manager and left messages on his cell phone to call me back and he never returned my calls.

The Venture is my second Yamaha.... I still have the Virago 1100... so I have been a loyal Yamaha customer.

Suggestions on other avenues? My local dealer made it clear when they did the safety that it isn't a warranty item and that it was incorrectly installed by the original dealer. Yamaha has already told me directly it isn't a warranty item and to talk with the original dealer. Snow City Cycle won't take responsibility for it.

Think I'm at a dead end on this one.

Don

Did you go to "Higher" person , meaning did you call Yamaha Canada directly, to for C/s rep. The person comes out to our area every now and then. It took the dealer rep from Yamaha to come to Tri City Yamaha to verify my leaking rear shock, and covered the part cost at the warranty deadline.

S2

When I took the bike in for the safety I took it to Performance Cycle and they said it wouldn't be covered under warranty because it would have been broken during assembly. I called Yamaha and they said I had to deal with the original shop that assembled the bike (Snow City) and said the same thing as Performance - not a warranty issue.

Snow City said that the original owner never reported it so it wasn't a problem. They said they talked to Yamaha as well but neither Yamaha nor the owner of Snow City will do anything about it.

I was thinking of taking the bike to Tri-City and see if they'll sneak it thru under warranty. I've never dealt with them though and don't know the people there.

1. The bike has a 5 year fender to fender warranty! How can they NOT cover that part?

My guess on the Chrome piece on the front (called #36 "mole 1" in the fiche, part# 4XY-28345-00-00 @ $100.18 through http://www.partshark.com) is that the bike comes, in the crate, without the windshield. That chrome piece is probably on the bike so they have to take it off to put the windshield on. That's the first problem. If the person doesn't know how to remove that thing they WILL break tabs.

BTW there is a tech article by Freebird, in the tech section, on how to repair those tabs

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=516

2. Are there metal plates about 3" X 1.5", with rubber plates under them (#s 83, 84, 85, 86 on the fiche shot below), at the rear mounting holes of the trunk? If not they need to put these in as well or your trunk bottom may crack. Maybe this is what they were talking about at the other dealership. I've seen several, 1st owner, bikes that have had the antennas installed on the wrong sides and that were missing the plates in the trunk

I think, when it comes right down to it, some dealers just don't get enough of these bikes and don't know all the ins and outs of them. Then they don't follow the assembly instructions, which clearly states about the antenna and the plates in the trunk, and they just do things incorrectly or not at all.

I think switching the ant is a common mistake. mine was also backwards and I've read that same issue on here b4. mine was not from Snow City

I've been looking at all kinds of classifieds, over the past year or so, and I would have to say that about 25 to 30% of the bikes I see in those ads have the antennas on the wrong side. I emailed 4 people in the last week and a half to let them know that the antennas were switched.

Let me get this straight...You bought a used bike from a individual seller and now you want the dealer to cover a discrepancy? You'll never get that to happen, no matter where you go or who you talk to. If you were the original owner, sure, but not as the second owner. Either pay to have it fixed, or let it be until it is a real issue. I wouldn't bother the dealer with it any more, because you are only burning a parts bridge. Buyer beware...

Just my $.02.

Let me get this straight...You bought a used bike from a individual seller and now you want the dealer to cover a discrepancy? You'll never get that to happen, no matter where you go or who you talk to. If you were the original owner, sure, but not as the second owner. Either pay to have it fixed, or let it be until it is a real issue. I wouldn't bother the dealer with it any more, because you are only burning a parts bridge. Buyer beware...

Just my $.02.

Not so. The Warranty is 5 year unlimited transferable. It covers everything fender to fender.

I can see Snow City not taking responsibility for the things they did incorrectly but the Mole should be covered under warranty.

The chrome trim is Mole1 and it wasn't noticeable to me because I didn't know what to look for. Previous owner didn't notice either. There is a bit of a gap between the chrome and the fairing but it isn't critical. Only reason I was going after the dealer and Yamaha was because neither I or the previous owner took it off. The original dealer broke it on assembling the bike and they should take responsibility.

I can see Yamaha saying no to it being a warranty repair. Wasn't defective from them. The dealer is saying that it could have been the previous owner or I that took it off and broke it. And had that been the case I wouldn't take it as a warranty issue. But since neither one of us did... it falls to the installation.

I've seen other 2nd gens that have the same gap and unless the owner takes the chrome off they probably don't know the tabs are missing.

As for building the bike... because the dealers don't sell a lot of them the assemblers don't have enough experience with where certain parts go. When I talked to the local shop the tech doing the safety said that he is the one at the shop that assembles the Ventures.

From my experience with Snow City Cycle (assembly on the bike and post sales support) I would NOT recommend them.

The chrome trim is Mole1 and it wasn't noticeable to me because I didn't know what to look for. Previous owner didn't notice either. There is a bit of a gap between the chrome and the fairing but it isn't critical. Only reason I was going after the dealer and Yamaha was because neither I or the previous owner took it off. The original dealer broke it on assembling the bike and they should take responsibility.

I can see Yamaha saying no to it being a warranty repair. Wasn't defective from them. The dealer is saying that it could have been the previous owner or I that took it off and broke it. And had that been the case I wouldn't take it as a warranty issue. But since neither one of us did... it falls to the installation.

I've seen other 2nd gens that have the same gap and unless the owner takes the chrome off they probably don't know the tabs are missing.

As for building the bike... because the dealers don't sell a lot of them the assemblers don't have enough experience with where certain parts go. When I talked to the local shop the tech doing the safety said that he is the one at the shop that assembles the Ventures.

From my experience with Snow City Cycle (assembly on the bike and post sales support) I would NOT recommend them.

To me, regardless of who broke the part, it SHOULD be covered under the warranty. Every part on the bike, except for filters, tires, brakes and oil, should be covered under warranty if the part breaks.

Like I said, however, if worse comes to worse, use the link I posted above and fix the sucker yourself. I fixed a couple of my tabs this way and it works great!!

Guest PlaneCrazy

One avenue you might take with this dealer is to mention to the sales manager that you will be writing a very strongly worded complaint to Yamaha Canada about their failure to address something that was obviously their responsibility.

Sure, it's just words.. but that letter will go on file with Yamaha Canada and it's been my experience with the place where I bought my RSV from that these dealers are all trying very hard to get a 5 star rating with Yamaha. There's only 19 such dealers in Ontario (Snow City Cycle isn't one of them).

I bought my RSV at Ottawa Yamaha, which is a clearing house for last years models. They only opened a little over a year ago and overnight, they became the largest dealer of Yamaha motorcycles in Ontario (they moved into an old Princess Auto store). After I bought my RSV, Yamaha Canada sent me a survey to rate the dealer and as I was filling it out, I noticed that the dealer didn't go over the pre-delivery checklist with me. Sure, the salesperson walked me around the bike and explained some stuff, but there's an actual checklist from Yamaha that he was supposed to go over with me. So I called Ottawa Yamaha and explained that I was doing this survey and told them about the missed list. Well, the salesperson asked me if i could come down and see him. So I rode the bike down, then the salesperson did the full inspection and checklist and then went over the whole survey with me and he then gave me a $50 gift card to use in the store for my trouble :) How transparent but still nice, hehe.

Since I bought my bike, I have had no less then 10 letters from Yamaha keeping me up to date on the dealer and asking for my opinion of my bike, etc...

With Honda pulling dealerships right and left and with other bike makers also hurting lately, if this Snow City owner has any business sense at all, he will try and keep you happy.

I have found that a lot of the warranty is up to the dealer. I broke the chrome piece on my bike by not knowing how to remove it. The next time I was at the dealer I asked them if it could be replaced under warranty and they said yes. The dealer told me anything that is less than $750.00 can be replaced under warranty without getting the approval from yamaha. From many of the post on this site it is obvious that some dealers don't want to replace items under warranty.

To me, regardless of who broke the part, it SHOULD be covered under the warranty. Every part on the bike, except for filters, tires, brakes and oil, should be covered under warranty if the part breaks.

Like I said, however, if worse comes to worse, use the link I posted above and fix the sucker yourself. I fixed a couple of my tabs this way and it works great!!

Warranties DO NOT cover breakage from poor mechanical skills. They ONLY cover manufacturer defects. If a mechanic, or a owner damages something, it is on that person to fix it. Not the manufacturer. This particular bike was bought 7 months ago, and then sold again to the current owner. The current owner can attest to the fact that he didn't damage the bike, but no one can say for sure that the original owner did not. Sure, he says he didn't do , but people lie all the time. If you find a dealer that is willing to eat the costs on this, please let me know. My 1988 VR needs some items fixed. I'll just play it off as a dealer problem. Same difference, right?

Warranties DO NOT cover breakage from poor mechanical skills. They ONLY cover manufacturer defects. If a mechanic, or a owner damages something, it is on that person to fix it. Not the manufacturer. This particular bike was bought 7 months ago, and then sold again to the current owner. The current owner can attest to the fact that he didn't damage the bike, but no one can say for sure that the original owner did not. Sure, he says he didn't do , but people lie all the time. If you find a dealer that is willing to eat the costs on this, please let me know. My 1988 VR needs some items fixed. I'll just play it off as a dealer problem. Same difference, right?

I agree with you that should an owner break a part it is their problem and not the dealer's or Yamaha's. I got the impression from talking with the Sales Manager at Snow City Cycle that they know the previous owner really well and he already told them that he didn't take the part off. I went from the previous owner's to the local shop for the safety and can prove that from the bill from having the safety done.

I'm sure it was the dealer that assembled the bike that broke the clips (and they screwed up on a couple other items too). As has been mentioned, for a dealer to offer outstanding customer service or a good will gesture they should have stepped up to the plate on this. They have failed to do so.

I can see Yamaha's point that it isn't a warranty item and has been broken by being installed improperly. That is why they pointed me back at the dealer.

I spoke to Dan today at Brantford Motorcycles, 519.753-2453. He has the chrome strip there in hand,,, brand new, held under the name, Carl, if you want it. He looked up the cost on it and will let it go at his 'cost'. I told him your story, and the first thing he said was: I think maybe we could get that under warranty, but then thought the better of it,, maybe. So no harm in talking to him about it. I won't post the price here, that wouldn't be fair, but he's willing to get another customer it seems.

Hey rentalguy1,

I guess you didn't read my preivous post. Anything under $750.00 can be replaced under warranty by a dealer without yamaha's approval. The dealer doesn't have to "eat" the cost of replacing the chrome piece. And comparing replacing parts on an 88 venture to a venture that is less than 5 years old isn't the same. There is a 5 year unlimited warranty on the venture. An 88 venture is more than 5 years old.

Hey rentalguy1,

I guess you didn't read my preivous post. Anything under $750.00 can be replaced under warranty by a dealer without yamaha's approval. The dealer doesn't have to "eat" the cost of replacing the chrome piece. And comparing replacing parts on an 88 venture to a venture that is less than 5 years old isn't the same. There is a 5 year unlimited warranty on the venture. An 88 venture is more than 5 years old.

Ya, but,,,, how does he explain the broken chrome piece,,,, well it just kind of fell off and busted? the wind was so strong that it tore it right off the bike? the bike was out in the sun and the moon seen it come off?

Warranty doesn't cover stupid!

Hey rentalguy1,

I broke mine when I removed it because I didn't know there were tabs that would break off. I guess I'm stupid. But I asked my dealer if I could get it covered under warranty and that's when he told me anything under $750.00 could be approved by the dealer and that he would get me another one under warranty. I wouldn't have been upset if the dealer had said no, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask and to my surprise it was replaced under warranty.

Hey rentalguy1,

I broke mine when I removed it because I didn't know there were tabs that would break off. I guess I'm stupid. But I asked my dealer if I could get it covered under warranty and that's when he told me anything under $750.00 could be approved by the dealer and that he would get me another one under warranty. I wouldn't have been upset if the dealer had said no, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask and to my surprise it was replaced under warranty.

First off, I didn't call anyone stupid. Please go back and read. Second, if your dealer wants to commit warranty fraud, that is up to them, although I would not suggest it. Third, you guys need to go back and read your warranties more closely. Warranties cover equipment that fails due to a manufacturing defect. Now, if a fairing tab snaps while trying to remove the fairing, who is to say it wasn't defective? But, if a fairing is cracked because it was being stubborn about re-installing it on the bike and someone pounded on it with their fist, well that clearly isn't a manufacturers defect.

My point about my '88 VR was that if a dealer is dumb enough to warranty something that is clearly not warrantable, then maybe they would be stupid enough to warranty 22 year old stuff, too. It has nothing to do with the age of the bike, and everything to do with understanding how a warranty works. Dealers are in the business of making money. If they do $500 worth of warranty work (parts and labor), knowing that the manufacturer will not reimburse them for it, because it clearly does not meet warranty criteria, then they will not be in business for long. The same goes if they do the work for free for every rider that comes in with a second hand bike and accuses them of shoddy work that was done prior to their purchase of the defective bike. If they do things like this, then we all lose, because that will just be another dealer that has to close their doors and we have one less outlet for parts and service.

I guess I'm just urging the OP to slow down and exercise common sense on the issue. I'm not saying anyone is unintelligent. I'm saying slow down and think about it.

Ya, but,,,, how does he explain the broken chrome piece,,,, well it just kind of fell off and busted? the wind was so strong that it tore it right off the bike? the bike was out in the sun and the moon seen it come off?

Warranty doesn't cover stupid!

In this case it was the Scarborough dealer that put it on in such a way that the tabs broke. That dealer won't cover it and wants me to pay for something they did.

There are two Yamaha dealers in Kitchener/Waterloo. Performance Cycle already said try Yamaha. I'll go to Tri-City and see what they say.

I guess I'm just urging the OP to slow down and exercise common sense on the issue. I'm not saying anyone is unintelligent. I'm saying slow down and think about it.

I've been going at this since July. Yamaha was pretty quick to say "talk to the original dealer". It is the dealer that has been giving me the run around. They keep saying "we are talking with Yamaha about it"... "the rep is in tomorrow"..."send us pictures"....

Neither I nor the 1st owner broke the tabs. The dealer that assembled the bike did. All I'm asking them to do is fix something they broke. Other things they assembled incorrectly I've dealt with but why should I be out of pocket $200 for something they did? (this is the price my local dealer gave me when they told me it was broken)