IGNORED

Headlight removal

I'm attempting to remove and replace the headlight bulb without cracking the fairing (at the suggestion of the experts here!)

Before I break something, I thought I would get a little help/explanation on removing the bulb from the experts.

I've attached some photos showing the back of the bulb. Question is...how do I remove the bulb? There was some discussion on a "spring clip" that holds the bulb in place. :confused24:

Is the tab with "top" written on it the spring clip? Do I simply push it forward (up) away from the wiring receptacle?

Can someone fill in the blanks for me? Any other hints/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm attempting to remove and replace the headlight bulb without cracking the fairing (at the suggestion of the experts here!)

Before I break something, I thought I would get a little help/explanation on removing the bulb from the experts.

I've attached some photos showing the back of the bulb. Question is...how do I remove the bulb? There was some discussion on a "spring clip" that holds the bulb in place. :confused24:

Is the tab with "top" written on it the spring clip? Do I simply push it forward (up) away from the wiring receptacle?

Can someone fill in the blanks for me? Any other hints/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Looks to me like your spring clip is missing.

Actually there is nothing missing at all with your light. The spring clip is under the rubber boot - if it was not there, your bulb would just fall out.

The first thing you need to do in pull the plug off, then you can remove the big rubber boot that covers everything and keeps the dirt and moisture out of the housing. If you have managed this much with teeny tiny hands reaching in around the steering head, you will see the double spring clip that you need to flip down (I think down is the right direction; cannot really remember) and remove the bulb.

When you are trying to put the new bulb in place, remember that you cannot touch the glass! No special dispensation just 'cause there is not room to work - no touching allowed!

Goose

(who has no tact whatsoever but still tries to actually help people)

Well...it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be!

Here are the three steps:

1) Pull the electrical socket off (I used a long set of needle-nosed pliers).

2) Removed the black rubber boot that surrounds the back of the bulb and the back of the headlight assembly.

3) Used the needle-nosed pliers to slide the spring to the left, then up.

That allows one to pull the old bulb (again...I used the long needle-nosed pliers, holding one of the electrical spades).

I then used the needle-nosed pliers to put the new bulb in (no, Goose...I didn't touch the glass portion of the bulb :Laugh:).

Assembled in reverse order...good as new!

1st of all I'm no expert

but...

Gettin it out without spliting the fairing is a piece of cake!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Now, getting the new one back in , now that's another program all together....:depressed:

Don't ask how I found that out!!! :headache:

For the first time you change a RSV headlight bulb...

It is no big deal to split the fairing a do it with the insurance that the bulb is installed without contaminating the bulb glass.

When you have it apart, check it out for a future replacement without opening the fairing.

That is my opinion & what I just did;

JohnB