Need new tires on my 07 midnight venture want to go with the Dunlop E3's or the Avon Venom. I know there are other threads but I was wondering if anyone has boughten tires lately and where's the best deal. When looking at other threads I don't think I could go wrong with either but whats your opinion. Also is there anyone near me, Appleton WI, that might have a tire changer that would be willing to give me a hand changing the tires as well as any other things that should be done while I have the tires off (I was really bummed that I wasn't able to make the maintanance day in WI this last weekend). One other thing are the tires we buy off the internet first quality tire my local dealer told me that places like Motorcyle super store and Denis Kirk are all selling second, tires with flaws, which I don't personally believe. I think that was his way to justify his price over $600 and that was for the standard oem replacements. Has anyone else ever heard of this

UPDATE:

Tell me what you think of this I went to a local shop that sells dunlop e3"s got a price of $325 installed I asked the about lubing the splines when they had the back tire off and they said it was unnessasary and all it does in make a mess and that they actually wipe off anmy lube on the spline if there is any. So what gives I've seen tech articles on this site on how to lube this spline so it makes me wonder if i should even consider this dealer what do you think

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by jeff2053

One other thing are the tires we buy off the internet first quality tire my local dealer told me that places like Motorcyle super store and Denis Kirk are all selling second, tires with flaws, which I don't personally believe. Thanks

Jeff

Just my thoughts, but I suspect there is a "truth in advertising" law of some sort that would require that they disclose what they sell as "seconds" or "blems" if that be the case.

I just put an E3 on the rear 2 weeks ago and so far so good, the real rest will be in the Rockies on our trip to Colorado next week. I got the tire from Canadas motorcycle, it was $178 Cn $23 tax and free shipping for a total of $201 Cn, their service was excellent, ordered on a Wednesday, it arrived the following Monday. It cost me $20 to get the tire put on the rim, so I'm well pleased.

I had a Venom on the rear before and it actually did quite well, I had 31147 Km on it, but I also noticed the spliting on the side wall, so I decided to try the E3.

I asked the about lubing the splines when they had the back tire off and they said it was unnessasary and all it does in make a mess and that they actually wipe off anmy lube on the spline if there is any. So what gives I've seen tech articles on this site on how to lube this spline so it makes me wonder if i should even consider this dealer what do you think

Thanks

Jeff

I'm still waiting on someone with more knowledge than me to answer this, but my gut reaction is run away.

I'm still waiting on someone with more knowledge than me to answer this, but my gut reaction is run away.

your gut is telling you the truth. we all generously lub the splines on our hub. they take lube off. take your bak tire n rim off your self, order the tire online, bring them both to another place for dismount and new mount. go home, do some lubing as outline in the maintenance threads and put your new tire on. this way you know it was done right.

Guest tx2sturgis

Any motorcycle tire maker, warehouse or store that sells what they called 'seconds' or 'blems' would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit. Its one thing to say there is a slight cosmetic flaw, but calling it a 'second' implies it did NOT meet quality standards, and I doubt SERIOUSLY that Dunlop, Continental, Metzeler, Avon, or anyone else would admit they sold tires that were unsafe.

I would LOVE to see the dealer who says that explain just exactly HOW he knows that Avon or Dunlop is selling second rate, unsafe tires to some of their biggest customers, who would be knowingly reselling those tires to the public.

And yes, you should service the rear splines and pins, not ignore them as this dealer suggests. Run the other way.

Splines is a poor choice of terms to use for what you want to lubricate.

When you pull the wheel and look at the pumpkin you'll see a spline - as in a hole with teeth around it on the inside. That mates with a spline on the wheel center - a short, fairly large diameter shaft, with teeth on the outside. Chances are that's what your mechanic is thinking of when he talks about wiping the splines off.

Bear in mind that these splines do need lubed, you just don't need to get crazy about it.

The center of that assembly on the wheel is held in by a circlip (snap ring). Take that out and pull the center out and you'll find five pins - fingers - that slide into bushings in the wheel. Those pins and bushings need cleaned and lubricated. When they get dry and stick they cause a clicking sound that is first noticeable when moving backwards, and gets worse from there.

Tell 'em you want the drive fingers lubed. That way they won't get distracted by the splines.

If you are going to order tires online, you might also include http://www.discount-motorcycletires.com/ in your search. Tim and Ernie, the Two Brothers, run a great local operation. Many of us in the Atlanta area use them and they are now increasing their online presence, as well.

You can expect to receive "fresh" tires, great service, and low prices from them. If you find a better price somewhere else, give them a call and see if they will meet the deal. I, and many others, use them time after time for their honesty and reliability.

Terry