I am in the process of replacing both fork seals and installing progressive front springs, the info in the tech library has been very helpful, but i have a couple questions about what i found when i took my forks apart.

In the first picture, I did not have any of the 3 washers on the lower end of either side, was this different on the 83-85 or am i missing parts?

In the second picture, I did not have the part labled 2, again is this different on the 83-85 or am i missing something?

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1280331115001454800.jpg

http://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1280331227066186800.jpg

I am in the process of replacing both fork seals and installing progressive front springs, the info in the tech library has been very helpful, but i have a couple questions about what i found when i took my forks apart.

In the first picture, I did not have any of the 3 washers on the lower end of either side, was this different on the 83-85 or am i missing parts?

In the second picture, I did not have the part labled 2, again is this different on the 83-85 or am i missing something?

You do need the three washers, there are two wave washers and one flat washer on each side. Flat washer goes in middle. These washers could be stuck inside of tube yet. They are very thin.

If you are installing the progressive springs, you do not need #2. Also you do not reuse #3 in same picture.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=496

Also, if you want a smoother ride, you do not need to put the PVC spacer in the forks when you install the progressives. I initially put mine in, then took it back out. The ride is better now, and I do not come close to bottoming forks out. I weigh about 240 for reference.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Instead of rebuilding your '83 forks, why don't you upgrade the entire front end by replacing them with MKII forks, MKII rotors, and R1 Calipers. You'll be amazed at he difference in stopping power. All this stuff can be found on Ebay for very little. Entire triple trees sell for $65 to $75 bucks, Calipers go for $30-$35, and the rotors usually run $20-$25. So for $150 bucks you've got first class brakes... and progressive suspension.

I will take another look for the washers, but i had to flip the lower tubes upside down to get the spacer out of the bottom so i don't think they are in there. if they are not there is there other damage i need to look for, the bike has 80k so it is very possible that these washers have been gone for 20k plus. what do these spring washers do? what will not function without them?

I may do an mkII front end makeover this winter, but I hadn't planned on doing a complete rebuild now, i figured seals and springs would only take me a few hrs ( didnt figure i was missing parts) and i dont like being without a bike during riding season.

Hi Nate,

The washers are basically a lock washer setup. Keeps things from working loose. When I did mine the washers were pretty well crushed and broken. Always replace them anyway. I'd make sure to install them when you put it back together.

Have you checked with the guys over at Johnson Cycle yet on rather or not they have them in stock.

If not....maybe our one and only skydoc_17 can help ya out.

Probably run into you sooner or later. I'm always passing through Fremont when I'm out roaming around.

Mike

Ill check with them and star city motors in lincoln, i work in lincoln so i'm rarely back to fremont in time to pick up parts from johnson, hopefully someone has them in town, i'm sorta taking up valuable garage space at a friends place.

I'll take a look in my old, "Keep it for Reference" stash and see if I still have the old washers from when I did mine. If nothing else they could be matched up with new stuff from the local hardware store. The waves are pretty easy to find but I can't rememebr how thick the center washer was. Not very thick.

Mike

I'll take a look in my old, "Keep it for Reference" stash and see if I still have the old washers from when I did mine. If nothing else they could be matched up with new stuff from the local hardware store. The waves are pretty easy to find but I can't rememebr how thick the center washer was. Not very thick.

Mike

I checked for those washers here in Canada when I did mine a couple of months ago, couldn't find anything that would do the trick, now I have stock.

Thanks, well nobody has them in stock so if you've got something i can reference let me know, otherwise i am going to just order them from bikebandit in the morning, even though $36.00 plus shipping for 6 washers seems a little ridiculous.

Mike

Those washers are a spring (actually 2 springs with a washer between them). They hold the oil lock closed. When the anti dive is engaged no oil flows until the pressure overcomes the springs and the oil lock opens.

So, with them missing the anti dive will be disabled (at least partially).

well, i found the springs, but the washers that go between them were not there so i think i will try to find a washer to put between them at the hardware store.

Has anyone just disabled the antidive on this bike, i had an old suzuki gs750 that had a setup like this and for that bike it really did not do much? alot of guys just blocked them off all together.

Hey Nate.

See you made a little progress. I didn't have the washers left over. Still had the springs and spacers but tossed everything else.

If you are going with the Progressives you really won't miss the anti dives at all. I just removed the short jump line from the calipers and used the short union bolt from the anti dives to attach the brake line to the caliper and cut down a flange head bolt to close off the port on the anti dive. Works just fine.

If you don't like the PVC spacer in the kit for the springs you can adjust the preload with SS washers. That way you can sort of fine tune the springs by adding or subtracting washers as needed. I've changed mine around a bit over the last couple of years. The Progressives might feel a little harsh, or stiff in the beginning but they do relax a bit in time. Smooth out real nice after a couple thousand miles.

Mike