IGNORED

Took aMSF ECR yesterday

BEER30

Took an MSF ERC (Experienced Rider's Course) yesterday and PASSED! It was a HOT mourning and instructors were kind enough to take 5-10 minutes breaks between each lesson. This course was held on an Military base , so I had to make sure I unloaded all my munitions ......bummer. Mostly HD's , 1- Honda, 1- Boulevard, and only myself on a RSV being the largest bike out there. For you riders whom have a harder time keeping the RSV upright in a parking lot speeds, you need to take this course! Needless to say it was not also FUN , but learned a few things and fine-tuned slow turning maneuvers. Instructors was surprised to see a large RSV jump over a 2 x4 (approaching road obstacle lesson) as they claimed I hopped over that board and at least 4" off the ground. I started out a bit nervous to say the least, but quickly looked at it as more their to have fun and relax and became one with the bike though I soaked in all info. Seriously, can you imagine that ? . All them painted lines on the course really played a mind trip on me at first.

Each course lesson was conducted by at least a minimum of 4 passes after an instructor ran through the drill and another explained from his booklet with pictures of the course. We did figure 8's in widths of a tight 2 lane road down to a single width of one lane as well as Tight S turns, Feathering the clutch to high idle break control. Found out a lot of us focus on turns directly in front of ourselves and not turning the head and looking forward in our turns. One course was teaching us the brake abruptly in straight line, in a swerve or in a curve. I was surprised to hear all them HD's with ABS lock up their rear tires.

Next time I take the course, it will be pulling the BEERCART and/or 2 up. If you haven't already taken a MSF , please do .You will learn more about yourself, your bike, and take advantage as a qualified instructor can observe and help fine tune your abilities.

BEER30

Good advice there Gene..

I'm afraid I would fail.........:puzzled:

Wonder if we could have a riders Training course set up at one of our VR rallies..?

Now take your diploma and go see your insurance company for reduced rates....

I would love to, but I have to put the stock clutch back in first.

Then I have to find one other than the beginner course where I get to ride their Honda 400.

My friction zone is so narrow that it is hard to do slow maneuvers and feather the clutch and throttle.

Please describe this "hopping over a 2x4" thing. I can not picture 1,000 pounds hopping anywhere.

The "2x4" thing is just an example of setting up to go over road obstacles. They lay a 2x4 several feet long across your path of travel and you are to goose the bike just enough to take the pressure off the front wheel, kind of lift over it, so you don't push it in front of the tire, then keep enough throttle to pull over it with the rear tire.

This is done in 1st gear at about 10 mph. My first pass was a bit agressive and shot the 2x4 back about 20 ft at the bike behind me. At least it stayed on the ground and no damage done. A little gentler on the throttle on the next pass worked fine. The guy behind me got brownie points for an excellent evasive action. LOL!

The part I found to be challenging was riding the entire course with my left hand in my lap, steering in both directions with only the right hand on the bars. Kind of brings out the old "push to turn" mentality.

ERC's are an excellent way to brush up on the skills you need for these bigger bikes for sure. Planning to do another on next year.

Mike

I would love to, but I have to put the stock clutch back in first.

Then I have to find one other than the beginner course where I get to ride their Honda 400.

My friction zone is so narrow that it is hard to do slow maneuvers and feather the clutch and throttle.

Please describe this "hopping over a 2x4" thing. I can not picture 1,000 pounds hopping anywhere.

I have the PCW clutch kit and it does just fine. Student on the Boulevard was our worst concern cause of his .....(Let's say we just watch over him) and his hydraulic clutch was like ours with a fine friction zone as well. I showed him what I do and he did just fine. I'm used to it as I pull the BEERCART a lot. But it's easier than you think. Too calm my nerves some , I played songs like Black Betty , and some Jethro Tull and Judest Preist during the course. Kinda had the rhythm of the music synchronize with the moves and siked me up . Funny how it worked out , but it did and that's me. Just had to remember to pipe the music into the headset rather than the speakers, LOL !

I forgot to mention the one handed cones , especially on the side with more cones, LOL! The instructor says the sports bike have a harder time doing the course than the cruisers.

BEER30

I've been meaning to take that for a couple of years. In all honesty, I've probably been afraid that I would look like an amateur with a bunch of pros. I think I should reconsider. Sounds like it would be good.

Thats me Randy. I think I would need to try it on the 750 first.

I took this course a couple of years ago. First by myself on a Saturday, and then with my wife as a passanger on Sunday. My clutch smoked about halfway thru the Sunday run dumping my wife and the bike while doing figure 8's. It was an interesting weekend.

RR

I normally teach the ERC on my MM Venture, it was a challenge getting it right. I taught an ERC on Fri but had to use the Virago because my right shoulder is all tore up from the accident. If you are interested in doing a course check with the local MSF and get on the list. Most places will hold a class when they have enough students interested. Rod