IGNORED

The RSV Chapter, turning the page...[sniff]

Christo

Ride what you like and as everyone said you'll always be welcome here.

I like all bikes some more than others, LOL

Enjoy !!! and have fun!!!!

Bubber

Thanks Bubber! I do not know if I will like it better...yet. The 12 hour ride home from Belton, MO a week from today will be the true test.

Any insights on owning one? Did you do any cool mods? Any "must-haves" I should consider getting for mine? :mo money:

Congrats to you, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Looks like Don needs a new Forum to go with the Wing Forum:think:

Brad

Nice looking bike there! They had a great looking ultra eagle at the indy store over the winter that I really like it was pearl white over the gray. I really like the looks of the HDs but cant get past the price of them thats why I bought the 08 new I couldnt find anything better for the money. I do think when I do change it will be a vision for me but I have to have something diffrent and that is one sweet machine. Good luck with the new bike!! Ride safe and keep us up on how its doing.

I'm constantly looking at the Ultra Classics. Great looking bikes and they have everything I'd want for accessories. So far, the only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the price and the cost of modifying it to fit my long legs. Guess I'll stay with the Venture since it's treated me so well.

I really like the color combination on yours Christo. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Brad! So Don needs to set up HDRider.org and wingrider.org? ;-)

I was thinking of Forum Discussions within this Web site HAHA. He had a Harley site but maybe he used the wrong title. Too busy to work on both.

Brad

Im already thinking of my next bike (a long way off). I have a tour deluxe, and if Yamaha doesnt update the venture, i wont even look at another Yamaha. Lately I have been looking at H-D Road Glides. (the wife wont ride). So actually needing a touring trunk isnt that much of a necessity. So it actually would come down to the road glide, the ultra,or possibly the Victory cross country. Dont blame you a bit for doing what you did. Sometime in the future I will do it too. I suppose buying a HD would be alot like buying a John Deere tractor, pay alot more up front, get alot more when you sell/trade.

Any insights on owning one? Did you do any cool mods? Any "must-haves" I should consider getting for mine? :mo money:

Don't even try 6th gear unless you are doing at least 65. If you rode in 4th gear doing 35mph on the yam you will need to be in 3rd with the harley. (just an example) It handles great at low speed,parking lots.

Throttle response is slower when you twist but you get used to it and learn to give it gas alittle sooner. Saddle bags are alittle small, wish they were bigger. Two leather jackets just about fill one.

Compared to my 86VR it won't lean as far over in the corners,but you get used to it.

AS far as accessories---Trunk rack and bag( looking for bag now for mine)

Kuryakyn highway pegs---4526-for average hieght riders. Made to clear lowers.

I'm also looking at locking doors for the lower glove boxes.

The one great thing about the harley is that you can find accessories galore to make it you own.

Make sure the gas tank mod has been done-recall-no charge

Front tire--not a recall but if you have a 404 on it will start to cup around 3-5 thousand miles. Tell them you have a vibration in the front and if 4/32 left they will replace it for free with a 408.

Factory warrenty is two years and goes by VIN #, no need to have in your name. Your local harley dealer can look everything up for you by VIN#.

I have the Sundowner seat on mine and like it better. Sits you a little lower and is not as wide. Wife likes it better also--backrest hits her lower back better.

Windshield bag is a must for sunglasses and miss. items.

Looks like you have the 404 on the front by the pictures. Tread pattern almost the same,but center bar will run up on the 408.

Edited by BuckShot

Nice looking bike there! They had a great looking ultra eagle at the indy store over the winter that I really like it was pearl white over the gray. I really like the looks of the HDs but cant get past the price of them thats why I bought the 08 new I couldnt find anything better for the money. I do think when I do change it will be a vision for me but I have to have something diffrent and that is one sweet machine. Good luck with the new bike!! Ride safe and keep us up on how its doing.

I agree with you! The RSV gives you a LOT of bike for a heck of a lot less money. The HD's are nice looking bikes - along the same lines as the RSV IMO. But I have been dedicated for 10 years on this bike, and I want to change it up a bit and give something else a ride for a while - it IS the only thing I can say that about in my life... ;-) :stirthepot:

Don't even try 6th gear unless you are doing at least 65. If you rode in 4th gear doing 35mph on the yam you will need to be in 3rd with the harley. (just an example) It handles great at low speed,parking lots.

Throttle response is slower when you twist but you get used to it and learn to give it gas alittle sooner. Saddle bags are alittle small, wish they were bigger. Two leather jackets just about fill one.

Compared to my 86VR it won't lean as far over in the corners,but you get used to it.

AS far as accessories---Trunk rack and bag( looking for bag now for mine)

Kuryakyn highway pegs---4526-for average hieght riders. Made to clear lowers.

I'm also looking at locking doors for the lower glove boxes.

The one great thing about the harley is that you can find accessories galore to make it you own.

Make sure the gas tank mod has been done-recall-no charge

Front tire--not a recall but if you have a 404 on it will start to cup around 3-5 thousand miles. Tell them you have a vibration in the front and if 4/32 left they will replace it for free with a 408.

Factory warrenty is two years and goes by VIN #, no need to have in your name. Your local harley dealer can look everything up for you by VIN#.

I have the Sundowner seat on mine and like it better. Sits you a little lower and is not as wide. Wife likes it better also--backrest hits her lower back better.

Windshield bag is a must for sunglasses and miss. items.

Looks like you have the 404 on the front by the pictures. Tread pattern almost the same,but center bar will run up on the 408.

WOW - GREAT INFO!! Thank you! What is the recall on the gas tank?

I like the locking glove idea on the lowers... yeah I will be looking for the W/S bag as soon as I get back to town.

I ordered the cords I needed for our helmets for the com part, and I found a good set/deal on saddlebag liners.

Thanks for the heads up on all this stuff! GREATLY Appreciated!

:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...
I'm constantly looking at the Ultra Classics. Great looking bikes and they have everything I'd want for accessories. So far, the only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the price and the cost of modifying it to fit my long legs. Guess I'll stay with the Venture since it's treated me so well.

I really like the color combination on yours Christo. :thumbsup2:

Thank you Mariner! I really like it too! ;-):thumbsup2:

Well it has been a while since I posted so I thought I would catch ya all up....

As some of you may know I have been chomping at the bit for a new tour bike for the last 3 years... GW I am not old enough yet, no way on a Kawai, Victory not my thang, Yammie waited too long to update their RSV, and so HD was the only one left to consider. But when the bug bit me in 2007 the HD peeps kept telling me that next year MoCo will be updating this, then the next year MoCo will be changing that - so I waited, finally when I realized that since 2009 the only real change in the last 3 model years were tranny teeth cut I felt that HD finally perfected the tour bike (now do NOT ruin my world here with some good news or other info, I will be pissed [wink], let me live in my dream state for the time being).

So now I can honestly sell my RSV in good conscious - BTW if you know of anyone who wants a very clean Yammie RSV full dress and decked out tastefully to the gills, send em my way! Anywho - after much debate with wife, friends, relatives and the like I decided to pull the trigger. Found three bikes via the masses of internet places to find HD bikes - one of ebay, one of Craigs, and one in cycletrader. Chickened out on ebay bid, my stupid, but made call to CT, they were waiting on another couple to decide, and then my third option was the CL listing in KC, MO. After the dealer played the shell game with me from MN via CycleTrader I about gave up until I called the guy in MO - he was great, easy going, worked with me on price, made the deal, he even sent it up the road to the local HD Dealer next to him, had them put the "stuff" I had to have on it and went out of his way to make sure all was good. So wife and I flew out of SB, IN to KC - left at 4AM, missed connecting flight in Chicago cause our plane had mech difficulties, finally got into KC, MO about 3.5 hours later than we hoped - threw check on desk, walked around bike, threw on our gear, and took off on our now 14-16 hour ride we had waiting ahead of us.... no complete understanding of the bike - hell I did not know how to work the communications on the bike yet (I brought our existing helmets and bought new connecting cords for the HD) so as I am driving down the road I am messing with the buttons and settings, and figured it all out in about 10 mins. Oh and did I mention, it was like 90º and 1MILLION % humidity - so we are late, stressed cause we HAVE to get back, new bike, and we hit storms with rain and downpour.... BUT WOW - what a great ride, that HD was smooth, easy to handle, LOVED the cruise control and the stereo.... so needless to say, I am a very happy camper. The Mrs. is eh - ok with it, she loved the ride, but she is sentimental - we have lots of good mems on the RSV, so it will just take some new good times on the HD!

I have been riding this EG UC for almost a month now, I can tell you I am in love. Very smooth, plenty of torque, cool gadgets, easy to maneuver, and for a small 5'8" guy with a 30" inseam, I finally feel in control.

I still take the RSV out for spins - total different feel, and I still love my Strat. I wish I could keep them all and I was rich so I would not have to work and just ride each of them every day....

The more you ride it the more you will love it. The bikes are really a great ride. Have you realized yet the the purchase price is just a down payment for accessories. :crackup:Seems like everytime I stop by the dealer, I see another must have doodad.

I am picking up what you are laying down... I have to be good, for now, until I sell my other bikes so I have some "extra" bling money! :mo money:

Good looking UC. If I bought a new bike it would be the ultra classic but it will have to be an 09 or newer. I ride 2 up most of the time and the pre 09 models have a problem with heat on the passenger. There is one thing that makes me a little nervous about buying a harley and that is the cost of maintainence. All of my harley friends here say the dealer charge for service is outrageous. I noticed that even on the harley web site I go on they talk about indys doing their service. I didn't know what an indy was but it is an independent shop owner. A friend of mine bought an ultra classic and when he took it to the dealer for the first service he said he almost passed out when he got the bill. He said he told them he didn't bring in a jaguar but a motorcycle.