IGNORED

Windshield needed in Vancouver before 29/July

LilBeaver

Howdy folks.

All was going well. I was on the way back to where I was staying from where I work so that I could drop off my stuff and go get a bite to eat. There is a ramp that goes down below to the parking garage area. Someone decided it was a good idea to wash off the concrete and not tell anyone (one of the housekeepers just doing as they were told). Well, for a 4 wheeled car, it would have been no big deal. For someone on 2 wheels, I might as well have been driving on ice.

I'm fine, but my windshield snapped off when the bike hit the ground. The front crash bar was bent a little bit, but other than that, I don't see any other damage (some how my mirror got twisted around too).

While I was standing next to my bike and looking around, the little housekeeper comes sprinting across the garage and puts down a 'caution, wet floor' sign right next to my bike. Thanks for the warning lady.

Ug.

SO, if anyone nearby has a windshield they would be willing to let go for cheap, let me know - I'm more than likely interested.

:bawling:

EDIT: By the way it is a 2001 RSV

Edited by LilBeaver

Howdy folks.

All was going well. I was on the way back to where I was staying from where I work so that I could drop off my stuff and go get a bite to eat. There is a ramp that goes down below to the parking garage area. Someone decided it was a good idea to wash off the concrete and not tell anyone (one of the housekeepers just doing as they were told). Well, for a 4 wheeled car, it would have been no big deal. For someone on 2 wheels, I might as well have been driving on ice.

:bawling:

Your accommodations should be buying a new one for you......

Also are you sure, that Yammer's black cloud, hasn't latched itself to you???

Your accommodations should be buying a new one for you......

Also are you sure, that Yammer's black cloud, hasn't latched itself to you???

1) They WILL be. But I am needing to be back on the road, riding back home departing the 29th, and I would prefer to not do that without a shield. I figured if I can attempt to make arrangements now, maybe I can get one here before I leave to go home. (Not to mention the gap where the shield goes is open to the weather now.)

2) I was thinking that but why would you go and say that outloud? :doh:

You can see this coming a mile away:

Sir, there was a warning sign and we talked to housekeeping and they said the sign was there when you dropped your bike .....

Reply; How much does that big plate glass window out front cost??:whistling: Just asking.....

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I sort of wonder how much force it would take to break the shield off like this. It doesn't seem like just falling would be enough to do it...

After all, think about how much force is on it when riding at 70 mph with a 20-30 mph headwind?! Lots of stress on the shield...

Anyways, called the local Yamaha dealer they said, minimum 1 week, and that couldn't be guaranteed.

Pieces couldn't be put back togather some way for the trip?? A good plastic welder around? Some type of glue? I don't know just trying to get some ideas. A sheet metal band-aid and pop rivets? If you wear a full-face with sheild it wouldn't be bad. Still beats you around a bit.

When mine blew over in the storm last year I ended up with about 100 pieces of shield.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Pieces couldn't be put back togather some way for the trip?? A good plastic welder around? Some type of glue? I don't know just trying to get some ideas. A sheet metal band-aid and pop rivets? If you wear a full-face with sheild it wouldn't be bad. Still beats you around a bit.

When mine blew over in the storm last year I ended up with about 100 pieces of shield.

This is certainly a possibility, although, I think I'll call it more of a last resort, since I'm not sure I'd want to risk the shield coming apart in my face at 70 mph...

I have a 3/4 helmet and a plastic face shield that goes on for long trips. So I suppose that would be better than getting whacked directly in the face.

Thanks for the ideas.

Rick I said to have fun not play Evel Knievel while you was up there:doh:

Glad it was not worse like a broken bone or worse...

Hope you can get a shield before you come home:think:

I have to agree 1000%. I can deal with a broken windshield. The fact that I some how managed to get my butt off the bike before it went all the way down, I STILL don't know, but, not even a pulled muscle... :confused24:

The Show Chrome short, wide shields are under $100 and you shouldn't have any problem getting one before the end of the month. I don't remember where I bought mine but it was $89 for the tinted one. JC Whitney used to have them in their catalog too. Maybe Ebay.

The Show Chrome short, wide shields are under $100 and you shouldn't have any problem getting one before the end of the month. I don't remember where I bought mine but it was $89 for the tinted one. JC Whitney used to have them in their catalog too. Maybe Ebay.

Thanks Gary. The tricky part is trying to find something that someone would have on hand already IN Canada, so I wouldn't have to mess with the across the border shipping, b.s. (and get it in a REASONABLE time). I'll definitely check out the show chrome ones though.

I'll check them out. I'd still be open to a used one, or if someone in Vancouver was thinking about switching to a different one, I'd be happy to offset the cost of your new one :happy34: (again, it is a lot about timing, which is unfortunate).

VR Member Gary Brown, "Black Ice" is in Penticton BC. I know Gary would help if he can.

That's a bit far ... we have several members right here in Vancouver.

I'll get on it right away.

Rick: man, you've sure had your share of bad luck this trip ... hope it's over and done with.

emails going out to those I know asap.

That's a bit far ... we have several members right here in Vancouver.

I'll get on it right away.

Rick: man, you've sure had your share of bad luck this trip ... hope it's over and done with.

emails going out to those I know asap.

Thanks a lot Rick!

When we get to a 'normal business hour' I'll call around a bit more today. New from a dealer is out of the question (between the fact that they want 250+ and can't guarantee that I'll have it in a week - no thank you). For that I'll go with another clearview (meh) or F4Customs, and deal with the stupid customs crap.

I think I have a line on one from back in the U.S., it is just a matter of getting it across the border in a reasonable amount of time, so I'd like to continue to feel out the 'local' options first, if there are any.

And, I too hope this string of... whatever it is... is over. Although, considering what has happend, I think I have been quite fortunate overall --

1) Tread separation on tire #1 - caught before I was on the road and in the middle of B.F.N.

2) Sidewall issue Replacement tire - caught before I was on the road and in the middle of B.F.N.

3) Electrical issues (no power to bike) - occurred outside of the lab I work at, which is basically a giant physics lab - full of all sorts of resources; and didn't happen while I was driving; I am very thankful that I didn't loose all electrical power when I was winding through the mountain roads at 11pm through Big Sky Montana. Most of the roads I was on were barly 2 lane, and certainly did not have a shoulder.

4) Went down in the parking garage, snapped off windshield - Makes me wonder if the shield was about ready to come off anyways. I know several others have had issues with the Clearview shields 'setting free'. That could have been bad news at 70+ MPH. Total damage: Windshield needs replaced, Front crash bar bent & scuffed a little (was bent by previous owner), I have already bent it back mostly where it was - a little more work will put it back in place, L front lower cowling cracked - but no more than it was already (thanks to the squirrel or whatever it was that I got a few months ago). Left rear crash bar scuffed a little. Pluses: I am fine, left arm is a little sore, but I was so ticked off when I went down that I just sort of heeved the bike back up, not thinking about it that I think I stretched something funny in my left arm. Other than that I am unharmed.

Anyhoo, thanks a lot Rick. Hopefully we can come up with something. I guess at this point, my biggest concerns are

1) Water getting in the main fairing where the windshield would have protected it - now that it is open. However, no rain in the forecast for the next several days

2) The ride home without a shield would be rather long, tiring and not something I would be looking forward to.

My other thought is shipping to someone just south of the border and going down to pick it up/install it. But, time is quite valuable at this point so if it is a matter of a few extra bucks to have it shipped across (or FROM somewhere in Canada - to avoid the delay at customs), I can handle that. I also wouldn't mind a few hour ride to go pick one up from someone, if that was an option as well. After all, it is a bike and I have ridden plenty of times without a shield - I don't mind the wind in my face and the bugs in my teeth.

Anyways. Thanks a lot Rick.

Now to get back to work for a little while... :bawling:

So much for this being a relaxing and easy trip... :Avatars_Gee_George::sign cmon:

Thanks a lot Rick!

So much for this being a relaxing and easy trip... :Avatars_Gee_George::sign cmon:

ehhhhh.... that's what makes life interesting LOL

anyhoo... I've sent out a message to all my riding buddies and all the members here who are within a reasonable distance. I know they'll tell 2 friends who'll tell 2 other friends and so on... I figgure someone will have something.

LilBeaver;

I saw your post about your windshield last night and planned to private message you. However, Gary N is correct and I can help you out if you would like. I have an original windshield for my 05 Venture that I can give you. A couple of little scratches but I'm sure that won't matter. Penticton is about 4.5 hours from Vancouver in south central BC near the US border. Not in Vancouver but not THAT far all things considered. Anyway, up to you. PM me if I can be of help.

Gary B

ehhhhh.... that's what makes life interesting LOL

anyhoo... I've sent out a message to all my riding buddies and all the members here who are within a reasonable distance. I know they'll tell 2 friends who'll tell 2 other friends and so on... I figgure someone will have something.

Terrific! Thanks again. :thumbsup2:

:happy65::beer:

LilBeaver;

I saw your post about your windshield last night and planned to private message you. However, Gary N is correct and I can help you out if you would like. I have an original windshield for my 05 Venture that I can give you. A couple of little scratches but I'm sure that won't matter. Penticton is about 4.5 hours from Vancouver in south central BC near the US border. Not in Vancouver but not THAT far all things considered. Anyway, up to you. PM me if I can be of help.

Gary B

hey Gary that's great. True... not "that far" but would be nice if we could find one down here for Rick. If nothing comes up over the weekend, maybe you could ship it down to my place maybe via Greyhound and I can get it over to Rick.

LilBeaver;

Gary B

Gary:

Thanks a lot! I don't know how I missed your post. A few scratches here and there are no big deal. If I can find one a little closer that would be good, BUT, if you wouldn't mind shipping it, that could work too (OBVIOUSLY I would cover any incurred expense). I assume that shipping WITHIN BC would be faster than trying to ship something across the border. I'll definitely be in touch.

If something doesn't come up within the next couple of days (say Monday afternoon), then we can go ahead and make the appropriate arrangements.

In terms of proximity, you are right, 4.5 hours is not THAT far, keeping everything in perspective.

Thanks again! This place rocks :banana: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :group cheers:

- Rick

Can you travel with it at all? If so, order the part and have it sent to my house. I'll meet you in Bellingham and we can install it there. Remember I don't work until 3pm so an early morning ride to Bellingham (or Blaine) would be a nice wakeup ride. After the install head back to Canada. Just another option for you so let me know. You also might want to check Skagit Powersports in Burlington WA Phone# 360-757-7999 and see how long it would take to get the part.

Larry

BTW: Thanks Clive for the heads up on this one :)

Thanks Gary. The tricky part is trying to find something that someone would have on hand already IN Canada, so I wouldn't have to mess with the across the border shipping, b.s. (and get it in a REASONABLE time). I'll definitely check out the show chrome ones though.

I'll check them out. I'd still be open to a used one, or if someone in Vancouver was thinking about switching to a different one, I'd be happy to offset the cost of your new one :happy34: (again, it is a lot about timing, which is unfortunate).

Thanks a lot Larry. I was thinking about bugging you, as I recall you had mentioned that you had helped out someone else in a similar fashion. It looks like I have a line on one from within BC. BUT, if that falls through for some reason, and nothing else comes up in the next couple of days, I'll definitely take you up on that. I can travel some with it -- nothing else really wrong with the bike other than the windshield is gone. I don't mind wind in my face for a days ride (just not 2k miles in 2.5 days :yikes:). The other trick would be finding time for me to get away from the lab to come down to meet you. I guess worst case, I meet up with you on my way back south... But it sounds like this might come together well before then anyway.

Thanks again for the offer, and if need be, I'll be in touch. By the way, the next meal is on me. :beer:

Rick M.

Can you travel with it at all? If so, order the part and have it sent to my house. I'll meet you in Bellingham and we can install it there. Remember I don't work until 3pm so an early morning ride to Bellingham (or Blaine) would be a nice wakeup ride. After the install head back to Canada. Just another option for you so let me know. You also might want to check Skagit Powersports in Burlington WA Phone# 360-757-7999 and see how long it would take to get the part.

Larry

BTW: Thanks Clive for the heads up on this one :)

Rick. PM and phone number sent to you.

Cheers, Gary

Gary:

Thanks a lot! I don't know how I missed your post. A few scratches here and there are no big deal. If I can find one a little closer that would be good, BUT, if you wouldn't mind shipping it, that could work too (OBVIOUSLY I would cover any incurred expense). I assume that shipping WITHIN BC would be faster than trying to ship something across the border. I'll definitely be in touch.

If something doesn't come up within the next couple of days (say Monday afternoon), then we can go ahead and make the appropriate arrangements.

In terms of proximity, you are right, 4.5 hours is not THAT far, keeping everything in perspective.

Thanks again! This place rocks :banana: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :group cheers:

- Rick