IGNORED

if you build it...

Guest Swifty

Guest Swifty

...will she...uhh...come?

I finished it up today, 5 months in the making, only had a few welds done professionally, the rest was me hacking away in the school's auto shop during my spare time, what little we civil servants DO have...cutting, drilling, grinding, and finishing up the electrical and painting in my shop at home...right next to the TV and coffee table. I got the idea from this website and eye balled all measurements.

http://motorcycletrailer.com/tib/

Some of you may remember in late winter me asking about where the centre of gravity is on the VR...this was the reason...LOL...I enjoyed you guys guessing why I wanted to know such a thing. I changed a couple of features like only having a 2-piece backbone instead of 3 piece like they have. It's designed to be taken apart and all fit into the HHR when we reach our destination.

I ended up with a couple of snags like not leaving enough room for where I planned to put the license plate, so will have to solve that, right now the plate is tie wrapped on.

It's the biggest transportation related thing I've ever built, and given my pretty boy skills, I'm happy with it. It has received final approval by the Pretty Butt, so after 5 years of being a good boy, begging, pleading, and general a$$ kissing, we are going on a trip down the Blue Ridge together...YAHOO!

So here's the multiple choice question for you all...

Why ELSE would a guy like me build something like this???

A) because the Browner is really becoming a trailer queen of priceless value worthy of tender care during it's final years.

B) because deep down I know that BradT hates being bugged for trailering duties.

C) because the Pretty Butt has me ass whupped more than I realize.

D) because I need to be ready on a moment's notice to head to the USA to pick up my new Gold Wing...or...

E) (insert your opinion here)

"E" Because your getting old and trailering is the best option, and your HHR is not heavy enough to pull a full size trailer.

Ouch :sign20: How much does the trailer way ?

Seriously it looked good!:thumbsup2: Wonder what the fuel mileage will be on the HHR. I suggest running it at the speed limit to be safe.

Brad

Looks pretty neat there swifty.

I have a safety question though..

What is the max weight rating the tires can carry??

They look like they would only haul around 600 to 800 lbs (combined), but this is by appearance only from looking at the pictures.

Would hate to see you loose the bike from blow out.

First thing I looked at was the tires. If my memory is not getting too bad (and we don't want Swifty to run out and check) I think the tire was rated for 414 kg. (912.7 lbs). Tires should be fine, rims ?

Brad

Nice job there Dave. I'm looking to do something similar for the trike. I do have a landscaper trailer with a steel mesh ramp but with the trike on it it's nudging the towing limit per manufacture of the Kia Sportage.

Going with something of this nature would take away at least 600 lbs weight.

Oh yea I checked boxes A,B, & C. Probably should add box D as well since that antique you ride is getting too worn out. :stirthepot:

Larry

Guest Swifty
How do you get the bike up there? I don't see where you could put your feet down if you ride it up there.

I have a ramp that matches the rail, hooks into a slot at the end of the rail, I walk the bike while running in gear.

They look like they would only haul around 600 to 800 lbs (combined)

I tried to follow what the specs were on the website model...D rated, 8 ply tires at 910 lbs EACH purchased in the USA. I got the bearings and hubs locally from a reputable trailer dealer specifically outlining my needs to the boss before he recommended I get the best. Thanks for thinking of my safety, Buddy.

How much does the trailer way?

I haven't weighed it yet, probably never will weigh it, but again, I'm assuming it's close to the website model at approx. 150lbs. Bring out your bathroom scale the next time I come for a visit.