IGNORED

Considering a ZUMO -

I'm considering buying a Zumo but that's a lot of loot and I really only half-understand what all this thing will do. I would appreciate some input from those who have them and have used them. Any input would be appreciated.

1. Does the Zumo plug into the bike's existing sound system? If so, how does it connect?
  2. If so does it then play through the AUX function?
  3. I understand the Zumo is Bluetooth compatible. Is that correct? Can you receive calls through your helmet headset?
  4. From reading the various threads about the Zumo it sounds as though the newer version may be significantly improved over the 550. Any thoughts on that?
  5. As far as playing the MP3 music, do you load the Zumo from your computer at home or does it have a jack to plug an iPod into?

Thanks in advance for any information you might have to share.

Kingbird

'05 Venture (Liquid Silver)

YEs it plugs into the sound system. Audio jack to hole beside the cassette deck. Some add a "Y" to the system under the fairing, then it plugs right into the Zumo holder. Yes on Aux.

The 550 had Bluetooth but you need a cable, which you can get from buddy Rich (he is on the site)

Can not comment on the newer versions but I think they are very similar. On the bottom of the Zumo you can add a 4 gig memory card which I just plug directly into the computer and install music on the card via Microsoft Explorer.

Brad

Kingbird,

Here's my answers (and opinions) on the zumo and your questions:

1. Does the Zumo plug into the bike's existing sound system? If so, how does it connect?

Yes, it will plug into the RSV audio system and play through the AUX mode. Most of us have accomplished this with a Y adapter inside the fairing. Detailed instructions can be found here.

1. If so does it then play through the AUX function?

Yes...it does play through the AUX mode.

1. I understand the Zumo is Bluetooth compatible. Is that correct? Can you receive calls through your helmet headset?

Yes. (zumo 550/660/665 are all bluetooth capable. Yes, with the correct cables this can be accomplished (Buddy Rich cable). See detailed instructions here.

1. From reading the various threads about the Zumo it sounds as though the newer version may be significantly improved over the 550. Any thoughts on that?

Yep, it is improved. However the zumo 550 is still a great navigator, MP3, and XM radio. The zumo 660 has a bigger screen and some other functional things that make it a nice upgrade to the 550, HOWEVER...the zumo 660 does not have XM radio, weather or traffic. The zumo 665 (with newest software) is DABOMB. It has animated weather (albeit 3 image animations), but it also has alerts for closed roads, fog, rain in the area, snow and WIND!!!

1. As far as playing the MP3 music, do you load the Zumo from your computer at home or does it have a jack to plug an iPod into?

Yes, you load the music directly onto the zumo MicroSD card or you can load it directly onto the card through a card reader. No you can't plug an iPod into it.

Part of the high cost of the zumo's is because all 3 models include BOTH the automotive mounts and motorcycle mounts. The zumo 665 also INCLUDES the XM radio antenna.

Hope this helps.

Wally

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks for the input guys. That's a big help. If I can receive calls on the bike I can write it off as a business expense. That helps make the decision for me :thumbsup2:

Happy trails!

Kingbird

Hopefully you wont actually be answering cell calls while riding. I know I 'm going against the grain here, ( I do that alot) but it seems that risking your life for a small tax write off is...umm...very stupid.

Riders on this forum always gripe about cagers talking on cell phones while driving, and causing, or nearly causing, accidents. Then some of the same members will buy XM units and/or bluetooth headsets so they can ride and chat on the cell phone.

Hey I'm all for freedom of choice, I just hope that the choice is: Dont take or make a cell call while riding. Period. At least not if your in traffic and you need all your wits to stay alive. Out on a lonely country road with wide open spaces...and your cruise control is on, then maybe, especially if it keeps you from getting sleepy, I can live with that decision to chat the miles away.

In most studies, its proven time and again that chatting on a cell phone results in distracted driving that's more dangerous than if you were legally drunk. Dont risk it for a few dollars. Keep that cell phone in a pocket or saddlebag, and let the voice mail catch it. We dont want to lose you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety

Actually, I PURPOSELY did not install the Buddy Rich cable. I do not pair my phone with the GPS. If I get a call...it waits until I can get it out of my saddlebag.

I do use everything else on the GPS though...navigation, radar and music.

Wally

Thanks for the input guys. That's a big help. If I can receive calls on the bike I can write it off as a business expense. That helps make the decision for me :thumbsup2:

Happy trails!

Kingbird

Yes, you can make calls. I make them daily using my Zumo 550. I commute to work on the most days and if I'm stuck in traffic I'll often call my wife to let her know I'm running late. I have the top 4 or 5 people that I call in my address book so that they are the first ones in the list when I hit the phone directory. Also, the 550 has a one touch button to call home. That way it's only a 2 button touch to reach my wife and 3 quick taps to reach the 4 or 5 most frequently called. The call fidelity is excellent and people don't realize I'm on the bike unless I tell them.

As tx2sturgis mentioned you have to use some common sense when using the phone. I've been known to ask people to hold on or call back when I get into a traffic situation where I need to be super alert. I find using the phone on the bike is much easier than in the car because of the hands-free aspect. I especially like it on long trips. While cruising down the interstate I can easily search for a hotel call ahead and make reservations. And the last couple of years my dad was alive he would call every couple of hours to check on my location so he could keep track of me on his road atlas. I'll probably upgrade to a 665 soon.

Dennis

Kingbird,

I have a 450 Zumo and love it! I'm not into talking while I'm riding so the Bluetooth wasn't a big deal for me. The system can be used with your stereo as mentioned through the AUX on the bike.

Here is a shamless for the bosses Zumo he's selling in the classifieds

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2949&title=garmin-zumo-550-with-xm-antenna&cat=12

Kingbird,

I have a 450 Zumo and love it! I'm not into talking while I'm riding so the Bluetooth wasn't a big deal for me. The system can be used with your stereo as mentioned through the AUX on the bike.

Here is a shamless for the bosses Zumo he's selling in the classifieds

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2949&title=garmin-zumo-550-with-xm-antenna&cat=12

So, he going for it and getting a 650! Hmmm, now I feel compelled to keep up with the Nelsons! ;)

I hope everyones zumo works better than mine because its sucks! I have carried my zumo and my other garmin in the car at the same time and my old garmin will give me better routes and get me there were the zumo have put me on the other side of town putting in the same address. Dont have a clue why but so far its doesnt impress much and my 150 dollar one works great.

OK...that firmware (if updated recently) actually needs to be overwritten with the OLD FIRMWARE until they get some things straightened out. I know that is a pain, but they will fix it.

Wally

OK I'll bite... How do you do THAT???

We have been having some fun with the Zumo 660's But we do have issues with standing in the same spot looking to go to the same spot and have two different routes. Also if I export a route to my card and he imports the route it isn't even close to the route I made BUT it works fine the other way around.. If he makes a route and exports to me it works fine... Weird??

Wayne

Does the Zumo plug into the bike's existing sound system? If so, how does it connect?

A = Yes you can connect it to the exsisting sound system through the jack in in the cassette player or put a Y under the fairing... I choose to not use the Zumo 660 sound into the existing sound system. I actually keep the sound turned down while traveling. I do not use the MP3 player section much and sure do not want to hear the GPS telling me it is recalculating everytime I make a wrong turn or take off down a road I want to travel on that is not on the route...I glance at it once in a while to see when i need to make a turn..."next turn 10 miles"

If so does it then play through the AUX function?

A = Yes it would play on the Aux function. I use the Aux port through a splitter under the fairing and use a Ipod for my MP3 music...IPOD has more memory for MP3 storage. I like to carry 5-10 days of tunes.

I understand the Zumo is Bluetooth compatible. Is that correct? Can you receive calls through your helmet headset?

A = It does have blue tooth but it takes a couple of minutes for it to sync up with your phone. I do not use a headset with my helmets, have yet to find one comfortable to wear for days with out problems (have no use for the CB either). Also could not get a straight answer on how you control 2 devices to the head set, or which one is gonna be heard over the system also found out that in some states it is illegal, but that is up to you. You cannot syn blue tooth to 2 devices...only one device. I do not receive calls with it...I use it in the evening when I am looking for a hotel room. I stop...search for closest hotels...touch which one I am interested in, turn up the speaker volume on the Zumo...and it dials the number and I talk to them about room availability and room cost through the Zumo 660...Kinda like a hands free phone...the phone stays in my vest pocket. Very useful with your helmet still on. I also use it while traveling...it will display you have a incoming call...I know the next time I stop...I need to check my phone to see if the call needs to be returned or ignored.

From reading the various threads about the Zumo it sounds as though the newer version may be significantly improved over the 550. Any thoughts on that?

A= I never had a 550 and do not know much about them, but I hear they are nice units. I already have a XM radio which i understand the 550 has it included. I move my xm from bike to car to truck to office...one unit to do all that...I mounted my XM on a RAM mount on the opposite side.

The 660 is a great piece of equipment in my book. It comes with software you can map out your routes and take those little back roads if you want, not have the GPS wants to you get from point A to point B. You can also use a website Harley Trip planner BETA...but it is kinda buggy and you get a strange route sometimes. I usually map out my routes before a road trip...1400 1500 miles in advance. I travel mostly off the interstates and off the 4 lane roads, this is where you can see the real country side. When you get the routes you like then you transfer them via USB to your 660 and call it up as custom route and never have to worry about it. This is what makes the Zumo 660 so great to me, I pick what route I take. I carry a small Netbook with me in the event we want to change the route or change directions due to weather or see another site we might have missed otherwise. The Netbook is great fro check mail and the venture site while at the hotels at night. I never have to worry about which road to take or stop to look at a map to determine if I need to take hwy 6 or 23 north cause I forgot after lunch which way I was going to take...I get senior moments trying to do this late in the day.

As far as playing the MP3 music, do you load the Zumo from your computer at home or does it have a jack to plug an iPod into?

A = MP3 are loaded buy the windows explorer drag and drop files into a specific folder via a USB cable. I use this sometimes with an ear bud on some electronic books while my wife wants to hear the radio or tunes from the Ipod which is connected to the AUX port on the existing sound system. It also has a picture viewer you can look at your photos on a mini SD card or in a specific folder on the Zumo 660.

Thanks in advance for any information you might have to share.

A = I love mine...and would buy another one if something happens to this one...well worth the money in my opinion. It comes with a nice RAM mount for your bike and a windshield mount for your car of truck...so it can be used everyday. It is water proof for motor cycles and if you calibrate the touch screen it work great with gloves. It is very easy to see in bright sunlight...Also I would recommend purchasing the lifetime maps from Garmin...4 updates a year and be sure and keep the Zumo software and your computer software updated from the Garmin website...they have added several nice features since I purchased it through these updates. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Wayne...like I was telling the other guy...they will FIX the 3.80 software and release it again (actually it will be 3.90 or 4.00), but it should be better when they release it.

They just updated the zumo 665 software and it is now VERY GOOD.

Thanks and glad you are enjoying it.

Wally

P.S. Don't forget to BACKUP your unit before you downgrade (or upgrade).

I posted here to get some info about a Zumo, and I sincerely appreciate those who replied and offered their input. What I wasn't looking for was someone preaching to me that I am stupid for not subscribing to their particular concept of "safe" riding practices.

I am certain that almost anyone on this forum who rides an RSV has used the CB to chat with their buddies and/or help keep a group ride organized. Perhaps some may feel that is "safer" but it requires talking, listening and depressing the talk-switch. Receiving a call and talking to someone while riding is little different that chatting with your passenger on the intercom ... or perhaps the preachers on this thread don't do that either.

We have too many people making rules that everyone else is supposed to follow because, for some reason, those people think they know far better than you. These same smug people seem convinced that they understand what your circumstances are and they are thoroughly capable and informed enough to instruct you as to how to conduct your affairs in a way that they approve of.

To those who were respectful and thoughtful enough to reply to my questions, thank you. To those who want to tell others how to live, I'd suggest you find another country komrade. This is still America. At least for some of us!

Kingbird

Just so you know what it is like to receive a cell phone call on the Zumo.

You will hear a ring on your headset and the Zumo screen will show an incoming call. Touch the screen to accept or decline the call. Then you just talk on your headset. It will automatically hang up for you so your not really doing anything that will take your eyes off the road other than the initial glance at the screen.