IGNORED

Strange headlight warning issues

I've reviewed the headlight posts and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have an idea what it is.

The headlight warning kicks on randomly, but the headlight remains lit. If I toggle the high beam/low beam, the light goes out for a little while. It was with just the high beam, and would go off when I switched to low beam. Now it will come on randomly on either low or high beam and will randomly go out (the warning, not the headlight). Flipping the headlight switch usually works temporarily.

I'm wondering if it's an issue of Computer cold-soldering...or a bad headlight switch? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Yes: the Indicator unit have had problems with cold solder joints.

You have to pull the windshield, and remove the Instrument panel to get the indicator unit removed.

Are you sure its not the indicator for the tail light?? If you install LED bulbs in the Tail light, you will get warning lignts. As the LED's do not draw enough current.

Try installing one of the Sylvania higher light output bulbs in the headlight. That might solve the problem.

All lights are incandescent, none LED. When toggling the high beam/low beam switch, the warning light goes out. I had the high beam indicator go out once, but it came back on a little later. The warning light hasn't come on for a few days, but am expecting it to return.

When I get some time, I'll attempt the re-solder, or swap out CMS units.

I didn't think of the brake light being a problem (inop). I'll look into that too.

I have exactly the same problem occuring.......it started last year.......I ride with high beam on most of the time, it's a random indicator light that has a tendency to turn off once I've been riding for a while....it'll also go off if I switch to low beam.

Plse let us/me know if you find a cold solder on the board.

PS my indicator will also go off if I have the headlight out (still connected) an I move around the wiring harness connected to the headlight.

Just about all the gremlins associated with the head light are the result of cold solder joints in the CMU. The '83 had the problem of an intermitant low beam, and the warning light going on and off, but it had a solid hi-beam. So, since I did so little night time riding I just left it on hi-beam which by-passes the CMU circut and adjusted the beam down. Eventually I found a nice '83 dash on Ebay and swapped them out. Problem solved...