IGNORED

Engine stop switch

Would someone explain to me how my engine stop switch on my right handle bar is supposed to work. I have an 89 Venture Royale and the switch says "run" and "off" I believe. The writing is a little faded. If it is in the "off" it will not start with the start switch but "off" does not "kill" or "stop" the engine when it is running. Is this the way it is supposed to work on the Venture? Usually the "engine stop" or "kill" switch does just that. I was wondering as there might be a problem with the wiring as the previous owner did a few modifications. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Sam

It cuts voltage to the TCI Unit, And also voltage to the Fuel Pump, and fuel pump relay.

I checked the schematic one day, and as I recall Voltage for about 6 or 7 items comes thru this switch.

Sombody did some RE-Wireing on your bike.

If you don't have a schematic, go to the maintenance section in this web site. You can download the entire Maint Manual, or just print out the wireing diagram.

Thank you for your replies. So I take it that on your ventures that if you switch the switch to off it will kill the engine. That's what happens on my other bikes but I wasn't sure on this one. I do have a schematic and have checked the wiring from the switch to the first connector and the switch operates o.k. In the off position it won't start. Next time I have the fairing off I will trace the circuit completely to see what the problem is. Thank you for your help.... Sam