IGNORED

Charging system

Guest jet man

Guest jet man

Ok I have a situation with my charging system. Let me see if I can properly explain the problem. Recently I replaced the voltage regulator with one from electrosport. This is what my system is doing. while riding home from work at night I can see the head light, passing lights, and tail and running lights fade like they are only on battery, and then with in 3 seconds brighten back up to normal charging. it oscillates like this mainly at least as far as I can tell at higher speeds and in top gear. Does anyone think that this is just a bad regulator or my stator going bad? Please help!:superman:

Jet man

Guest tx2sturgis
Ok I have a situation with my charging system. Let me see if I can properly explain the problem. Recently I replaced the voltage regulator with one from electrosport. This is what my system is doing. while riding home from work at night I can see the head light, passing lights, and tail and running lights fade like they are only on battery, and then with in 3 seconds brighten back up to normal charging. it oscillates like this mainly at least as far as I can tell at higher speeds and in top gear. Does anyone think that this is just a bad regulator or my stator going bad? Please help!:superman:

Jet man

Sounds to me like some kind of thermal problem...either the R/R (regulator/rectifier) or the stator is failing, or maybe, its simply not getting enough air flow. At higher RPMs the regulator is working harder, since the stator output is highest during high RPMs. It COULD also be the battery is failing, and possibly has an intermittent shorting cell, which might cause this problem also. Dont overlook the battery and ground connections. Clean them all.

IF the battery is failing, it might have been the reason your previous R/R failed.

Just a guess.

Shop by Product

1. Stators
  2. Regulators / Rectifiers
  3. CDI Ignition Units
  4. Accessories

Got Questions?

1. Ask a Parts Expert:think:

Common Technical Issues : Yamaha XVZ1300 Venture Royale

BRAND : Yamaha

MODEL : XVZ1300 Venture Royale

YEAR : 86-89

CATEGORY : Street Bikes

TECHNICAL ISSUE DETAILS These Yamaha models have a permanent magnet battery charging system, consisting of a stator with three output wires, which feed into a regulator/rectifier. This unit rectifies the AC into DC and regulates this DC to 14.5V to ensure proper battery charging. The output from the regulator/rectifier connects to the battery through a main fuse. Common faults in this system: 1) Bad electrical connections. We recommend checking all electrical connections in these bikes. The connectors are not that great, and the bikes are fairly old by now. Clean the connectors one by one with some contact cleaner and make sure the bullet style connectors are tight. 2) Regulator/rectifier failure. The OEM regulator/rectifier is a commonly failing part. 3) Stator failure. This is a common problem on these machines. Causes are age, heat and vibration. Test and replace when it tests bad. We recommend using the fault finding chart. This guide will help you diagnose the charging system quickly.

Thanks to Electrosport. http://www.bikebandit.com/electrosport-industries-coils-stators/cm/a669900?WT.mc_id=2208269&WT.srch=1

The regulator is suspect. Did you replace the Stator windings as well ?

you should always do the reg. and stator as a pair so the charging system can do it's job I did and I got my stator from Bike barn and I used a high output mosfet unit.

Looks like you have some work ahead.

Guest jet man

I replaced the old one because I wanted to get more wattage from the upgraded stator I installed. From what I understand the stock regulator will only supply 30 amps no matter how many your stator is putting out. I will reinstall the stock regulator and see about getting my money back from electrosport. Any way I know that some folks did this and like the change a lot. I am having second thoughts, especially since my system is not working right with the "upgraded" regulator. Thanks for the responses; Jet Man!!:superman:

I replaced the old one because I wanted to get more wattage from the upgraded stator I installed. From what I understand the stock regulator will only supply 30 amps no matter how many your stator is putting out. I will reinstall the stock regulator and see about getting my money back from electrosport. Any way I know that some folks did this and like the change a lot. I am having second thoughts, especially since my system is not working right with the "upgraded" regulator. Thanks for the responses; Jet Man!!:superman:

I cannot say what your problem is, but there are a number of possibilities. Three are also a number of posts in this thread that sound like paid shills for one vendor or another, so I'd be a little cautious of just accepting anything your read (even from me!).

Your problem is made more difficult by the fact that several components have been replaced with "unknown" aftermarket parts. Certainly either your stator or the reg/rec unit could be bad, although having the voltage go low then getting good again is not usually the way an electronic part fails. This is more likely a bad wire connection somewhere. The plugs on the reg/rec unit are a weak point, and it is quite common for them to overheat and begin to melt. I'd check that first, including how well the wires are crimped. Next I'd go to the plug where the stator connects and check for the same thing. While you have the unit off, make sure the connection points where it grounds to the frame are clean. If those both seem OK, then I'd look at the frame and engine grounds along with the battery connections and the main power plug under the cover just rear of the primary fuse box.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Electrosport anything is JUNK! I went through a nightmare with my old '99 from putting an electrosport Regulator/Rectifier on it. My bike was down for a month trying to get answers from them. I ended up putting a new factory Yamaha back on and didn't have any troubles with it.

I posted my findings and displeasure with dealing with Electrosport, take their junk off and go back to stock....sorry, off rant :soapbox:

• 2 months later...

Is there a charging diagnostic page(s) somewhere I can find easily? I need to get that as soon as possible to diagnose / test my charging system on my 2005 RSTD. I tried some of the links in this post - and being not knowledgeable on this "stuff", I couldn't find anything. Any help will be appreciated!!!!

Your bike is a 2006. If you still have the old rectifier id re-install it and let the warranty take care of it. Only thing I see with that is they may call you out on the stator upgrade. Only stator upgrade where I havent heard about any problems with is the one from Buckeye.

Good chance your plug to the rectifier has some burnt wires. If your stator is plugged in vs hardwired then there is another potential problem. Have your battery load tested too. If its the original it could be failing. An Argus Battery Bug would moniter that situation. Clean and dialectrically grease any connection you come across. It will save you some grief later on.

And like Squidley said.....Electrosport is junk!!

Hmmm, didnt see it was an older post.....so how did the fix go???

First, thanks for the feedback, guys. I didn't initially share enough information like a hurried dummy. In Jan, I had upgraded to Rick's HO stator and rectifier. Got somewhere around 12K miles out of the stator. I will state that this week I have been in contact with Rick, and he is being very cooperative in helping me with this situation - they are out of stock at the moment on these replacement stators, but hope to have a new production very soon.

I am installing a new Yamaha stock stator that I had initally received under warranty to get me through the next few weeks - let Rick test the old one, etcetc. Also, having the dealership test all the connections, etc., but for this particular repair, I have taken the bike to my local dealer who is Honda / Suzuki certified - but their senior mechanic working on this bike is 4 star whatever certified from Yamaha as well. Originally, I had a senior mechanic at a Yamaha dealership around here install Rick's stator and rectifier.

What I was looking for - but probably didn't ask the correct question - was is there a page somewhere that I could pull from the web - that would give me the correct "readings" or whatever its called to compare the readings I am going to get after this stator has been installed?

Basicly, the 3 Phase AC voltage readings, should all 3 be about the same.

They will vary with engine RPM changes.

The main thing here is that they should be withing + or - 1 volt AC.

If one of the 3 is substantially lower then there is a problem with one of the 3 phase's of the stator.

You can get the Pin accessory for your volt meter probes, at Radio Shack, and stick thru the insulation on the wires to take the readings.

Also be sure to carefully inspect the Plugs, for burn damage to the pins