IGNORED

high output stator

pegscraper

I've been trying to get some info together for those interested in these.

This is a new offering we have been working on sense last winter. Our RD bike has real life 7000 miles on the test unit. The stock stator output spec is 30 amps. Our unit peaks at 55 amps. The only issue we have had was the connector from the stator to main harness wasn't heavy enough for the extra output. We went back and added length to the stator harness and hard wired it to the harness much like the fix with the 1St.Gen connector fix.

No other problems. I think I read some were about a regulator failure with some other deal not ours. But that is not a super uncommon failure with the RSV the stock stator but it does happen from time to time so I wouldn't blame the new stator on it. The only job the regulator has is to control that stator so there is not to much volt supplied to the bike. A weak battery can cause the charging system to work to hard all the time. If you even think the battery is getting weak replace it. The whole system will thank you. The battery plays a big part of the system other then making your bike start.

I'll be rechecking everything again in a few weeks.

We now have others on the road and all is well. I be posting more information ASAP or you can email me.

Squidley went through this caused some real headaches. I am also interested in this if it is bugfree. Squids real problem was the rectifier and also the wiring burned out and he had to replace quite a bikd. maybe he will pop on and expand on it but if this is the real deal and it works im in!

Here is the thread with Squids experience. I know he is back to stock.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5042&highlight=Stator

Hi output sounds great, but my question has always been, "what about the rest of the system?" Maybe the regulator per se doesn't care, but what about the rectifier and the DC wiring from there to the batt? All the power has to go thru these things. With the alarming voltage drop I've measured thru stock switches and connectors, it seems to me that the stock wiring is barely adequate as it is

How much is the 1st gen stator?

Jeremy

Hi output sounds great, but my question has always been, "what about the rest of the system?" Maybe the regulator per se doesn't care, but what about the rectifier and the DC wiring from there to the batt? All the power has to go thru these things. With the alarming voltage drop I've measured thru stock switches and connectors, it seems to me that the stock wiring is barely adequate as it is

How much is the 1st gen stator?

Jeremy

Stock Stator makes 30 Amps.

You're 100 Percent right with your Statement. The stock Wires work barely. Either AC or DC Side. The stock R/R can not Stand 55 Amps for a longer Time, nor do the Connectors hold up with that Ammount of Current.

Only R/R which could stand this would be the newer R/R from Yamaha, made by Shindegen, they come with the MT-01 or the '06 YZF-R1. I mentioned this in the Thread which Squidley opened for Information ...

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Performed the 7000 mile inspection on our RD RSV that has had our stator.

There are no wiring issues to report. Non, 0, Zipo, Nada. I can't speak of Squids problems with his.

We do have these in more than one bike though and all is well.

Maybe it's because we designed it to deliver the higher outputs in the normal operating rate of 2000-3500 RPM's. That's all I can say is I'm happy to report all is well.

I suppose my only question is "Who makes the stator?" If it's Electrosport out of California, no thanks. I have had way too many problems with them and their customer service sucks!

Another good mention is of the wiring harness, just about every bike I know of (besides maybe the wings) dont have large enough wires to handle extra current. It's good to hear that your not having any problems with the research bike....I'll just wait a bit longer to see how it all shakes out :)

I suppose my only question is "Who makes the stator?" If it's Electrosport out of California, no thanks. I have had way too many problems with them and their customer service sucks!

Another good mention is of the wiring harness, just about every bike I know of (besides maybe the wings) dont have large enough wires to handle extra current. It's good to hear that your not having any problems with the research bike....I'll just wait a bit longer to see how it all shakes out :)

It's not Electrosport.

I don't make them. They are made for BP to BP specs. By a place I have been working with for at least 5 years. They are designed for higher output in the cruising range from 2000 to 3500 RPM's.

Squidley I seen your post and understand your feelings and agree that Yamaha has a touring bike with an electrical system barely adequate. But it's something we have to work on to improve. The stator upgrade is a must if you add much of anything. But that also has to be done correctly. Anything added to the system needs to be isolated from the stock system.

Because of Yamaha's design on our RD RSV which has added lighting the base system is left to the stock configuration. All extras (key word "All") have there own circuits and trigger relays so the stock system is not taxed any more than when the bike rolled off the assembly line. Plus it has a very good battery. The Battery on the a stator system is a very important part of the system. A weak battery may start the bike but will also cause the system to work harder than it needs to.

• 1 month later...

Just some more information for those interested to chew on!

Below is copied from the Venturers site with the permission of the author to post here about a similar thread.

Pete Behm wrote the copied items and he has one of our high output stators on his RSV. He wrote the full report on his own. Mainly covering the installation and checking components after miles have been ridden with the new stator in place.

This is a unbias report Pete wrote and he has no connection with Buckeye Performance other than he is a customer of ours. The pictures below are the regulator/recifier plugs as you can see no signs and any issues same as our R&D RSV that has over 7000 miles with the same setup.

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:52 pm Post subject:

Venturous wrote:aka Gary

Pete, I know it's only been a month since you installed yours, but how many miles have you put on it and any troubles?

Gary, 4900 miles on it since being installed. I'm all done until next year. I haven't looked at the connector at the regulator yet but I don't expect any problems. As I've said many times before I haven't had any problems on the FJR with an upgraded stator and thats been a little over 30000 miles. If I remember right the connectors are very similar if not the same. I'll be tearing the Venture apart sometime soon for some much needed TLC and will let you know if there are any problems._________________Peter Behm Venturer #67 2000 Venture 2004 FJR ABS 2007 WR 450 2007 FZ6 IBA #20016 AMA #321715 Team Strange #591 House for rent in West Yellowstone, MT.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:22 pm Post subject:

Here you go Gary. Not the best pics but everything looked fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/4264343/PETEBEHMREGI.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/4264343/PETEBEHMREGII.jpg

___________________________________Peter Behm Venturer #67 2000 Venture 2004 FJR ABS 2007 WR 450 2007 FZ6 IBA #20016 AMA #321715 Team Strange #591 House for rent in West Yellowstone, MT.

With the question being asked about the wiring, I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to mobify the main charging wire to the battery?

And if anything feeds off of the original wire, could it be cut loose at the Rectifier and backfed from the battery to avoid getting too deep into the wiring harness.

These are just questions that came up in my mind. and not having a 2nd. Gen i can't go look at mine. Might be a consideration for y'all though.

I'm thinking too that the stator wires could possibly be cut as shout as possible and replaced with heavier gauge wire to aleviate(sp) resistance in the system. This may give a slight increase in available amperage, maybe not enough to fool with, it's just a thought. But, I'm thinking that if the second gen charging system is as suckey as the first gen, it might be worth looking at.

Whit these thoughts in mind, I know that mine will be looked at soon...

Guest tx2sturgis

Im tellin ya....just mount one of those cooler racks on the back and hang a little Yamaha Generator on it!! Runs 12 hours on a half gallon of gas...has 8 amp 12 volt output...hook your lights and vest to it...

No more worries mate!!

:whistling:http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/gen/general/media_content_unit0127158182.jpg

With the question being asked about the wiring, I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to mobify the main charging wire to the battery?

Sorry so long getting back to you on this just a lot going on.

I have found the base wiring system on the RSV is adequate as long as you don't add anything to it. If you add anything then you need to add wiring harnesses that are pretty much independent of the OEM system. Add fuse blocks and relays to power the add ons and then all is well.

Yeah I know it's a pain in the butt to begin with but it just works better in the long run on the RSV. Once you have your fuse block and relays in place and adding accessories is really easier.