IGNORED

Lesson To Be Learned

celling

This last Friday 7-2 we were on are way home from a wonderful trip to the Black Hill. Pulled into a Flying J truck stop in Sioux Falls SD for gas. Go to turn in and down we go slid about 15 feet on its side, bike and trailer do a 180 and I laid in the middle of intersection wife step off the bike as it went down and didn't get hurt. My left knee hurt pretty bad . Come to find out a truck driver that had filled up forgot to put there cap back on and as he turned the corner to leave spilled out fuel on to the pavement and it splashed into the turning lane. No one seen who spilled the fuel. I didn't see it and when I braked and turned it was just like ice and down we went. After about an hour of talking to the manager, police and EMTs we get on bike and finish our last 250 miles. Go to hospital that night to have knee checked out find out I have a deep tear in my calf muscle and little road rash. The lesson is WATCH THE INTERSECTION AT TRUCK STOPS . Everyone be careful and have a safe summer I know I am going to pay more attention to the my turns in to fuel stops from now on.

Craig,

Sorry to hear about your spill. Great lesson here to be learned too.

Brother in-law turned in like you did but hit sand, looked like just a little, but turned out it was after a rain at that location and the sand was filling a nice 8 inch deep hole. Front tire sunk and down he went also, but only damage was to the bike.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Ride safe,

Bryan

Lots to look out for. I went on a ride on some favorite roads with lots of turns Sunday morning and found a bunch of corners with gravel on them. Didn't look like it was road repair, looked like someone put it out on purpose. Sometimes it would be across the entire road, other times, just at the apex just where you can't see it as you turn in. Right where a fast crotch rocket would hit it.

Finally, one intersection, again at the apex had about a 2 foot wide and 4' long line of what looked like fresh engine oil. No way that spilled from a vehicle, someone put it there on purpose.

Luckily, I was on a big touring bike, and I am a chicken when it comes to corners, even ones I know well, I live by the motto, "never go faster than your eyes can see". And after a couple corners like that, I started going around middle of the lane, VERY slow and not having much fun.

I would like to catch whoever was doing that, but doubt I will. I guess someone there doesn't like bikes. I have heard about things like this, but never seen it till now.

One stretch was where I led our local Gold Wing group just a week before. Was clean then, luckily.

Thankfully, you were not hurt worse than you were, and especially not being run over.

Several years ago I came around an off ramp that went back under the highway and about half way thru it I went into a serious 4 wheel drift due to diesel fuel being poured everywhere. After making it thru it, I pulled over and called the police for them to come look at it and get someone to clean it up. I was real glad I was not on the bike.

One of the things that is done on our mountain roads is the inside edge of a curve where people will tend to drop off will get too deep. They will bring in gravel and fill the groove back up and these same people come back thru spreading the gravel back out into the road.

RandyA

I feel a lot better today, walk with a little limp in the morning and as the day goes on it gets better. Going up and down steps are a little tough. Put bike on lift bent back crash bars put a little chrome paint on the road rash glued some plastic pieces back together and it looks good. Thanks Craig

Craig,

Glad to hear you guys are ok.....things like that happen so fast!!!

We must have just missed you guys....Gary and I took off Thurs morning for the Black Hills and got back last night!!! 90 degrees first two days out there, then down to 67 degrees the next 2 days! Great riding though.