IGNORED

Brand new E3 with a split in the sidewall. Need some opinions.

LilBeaver

This is ridiculous. I cannot believe this. Not only did I miss the Nelson meet because of dealing with tire issues (along with a few other things, one involved a broken Kitchen window in my house). Now, I am going to be even LATER. My brand new E3 that I got on last Wednesday, now has a split in the sidewall. I was packed, ready to go and doing my final check over everythign before I went to bed for the night (to get up and take off tomorrow morning ~ 5) and what do I see? A split. Yippee.

What do you all think? This tire is literally brand new, I have less than 20 miles on it. Sadly my dealer is closed Sunday and Monday so I have to wait until Tuesday to get anywhere with this.

Someone shoot me. :bang head:

Maybe it is nothing, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about tires, so maybe I am over reacting...

By the way the date code on the tire is 3707 - which I expressed my displeasure with to the dealer immediately when I saw that, but of course, they get what they get from the warehouse and as long as it is within the 5 years they can sell them.

That doesn`t look good....dang the luck!! man sorry about your plans keep getting screwed up, but better to find these things now and not out on the road..better luck to you in the future, take care and try to have a good weekend and a safe fourth.

K

That doesn`t look good....dang the luck!! man sorry about your plans keep getting screwed up, but better to find these things now and not out on the road..better luck to you in the future, take care and try to have a good weekend and a safe fourth.

K

Thanks. And I agree 1000% that I much rather find this NOW while I am sitting at home in my garage than find out at 70 M.P.H. In the middle of Wyoming or Montana. :yikes:

I guess stuff happens, so I'll just deal with it.

I do not know who installed it but could have been damaged when put on the rim either way I would get the dealer to warranty it.

Life to short to take a chance

This is my plan. It just stinks that my dealer isn't open on Monday.

From the pic, that almost looks cosmetic. How deep is it? I can't really tell with that pic.

It might just be cosmetic as it seems to only go through the first layer - but I really don't know a whole lot about tires, so I am going to push for a replacement anyways. After all, it's my butt on the line. And I paid for a brand new tire, this one has less than 20 miles on it. This shouldn't be there.

Looks like there was a "Problem" during mounting. The Traces which seem to be to the right of the Crack in the Picture could easily refer to the Shoe of a mounting Machine or a Tire Spoon.

That is sort of what I was thinking too. However, I looked over it really carefully when I picked the tire up and do not recall seeing this little mark - but I was so focused on getting it back home so I could get on the road, I could have easily missed it. Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to point that out to the dealer if they give me any issues about this.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th!! -- Even you Squeeze... even though it is just another day for you

:325::325:

I have a New E3 on my work bench

I just measured the caseing thickness, at the point shown on your photo.

The caseing is 1/2 inch thick at that point, nothing for you to worry about.

That ridge that is torn in your phot is just a measure point to show that the tire is fully seated on the rim.

My verdict is that you " hit the road" have a good trip, drive safe my friend !!

I really feel your frustration...looks like my new Avon Venom tires. They started cracking in the same place and that was just the beginning. The dealer gladly replaced them with no with no questions asked.

You've only got two wheels and you need them both.

Just my 2 cents.

Looking at the circumferential marks that coincide with the split.... I suspect that the installer is going to use words like "Zipper Rupture" and leave you holding the bag....

You got me. What's a zipper rupture?

I have a New E3 on my work bench

I just measured the caseing thickness, at the point shown on your photo.

The caseing is 1/2 inch thick at that point, nothing for you to worry about.

That ridge that is torn in your phot is just a measure point to show that the tire is fully seated on the rim.

My verdict is that you " hit the road" have a good trip, drive safe my friend !!

Ditto, I agree completely.

rANDYa

First and foremost, thank you to those who gave me a call and let me know what your thoughts were on the tire (I will leave names out, just in case you don't want to be identified on here).

Interestingly enough, as tracked in the thread, overall I ended up with differing opinions on cosmetic vs. major problem. So, what decided for me is the fact that my tire was loosing some air (a significant amount over the course of 24 hours). To identify where the air was coming from (I suspected the valve stem) I sprayed a little soap and water on the area with the split and it bubbled up - so, no riding on this puppy :(.

Arrived at my dealer this morning, right when then open. Walked my tire/wheel in, set it down, exchanged the typical 'good mornings' and whatnot, explained that this tire came from their dealership and was installed a few days ago, has less than 10 miles on it and has been under weight of the bike for maybe 12 hours total (It has been jacked up most of the time - thanks again CarbonOne (Larry) for the nice adapter with legs!!) Pointed to the area on the sidewall with the split in it and the service guy said, 'oh my'. He apologized profusely and said that they would take care of it. They said it should be ready to go first thing tomorrow morning (they didn't have a replacement E3 in stock, so they've got one on the truck for tomorrow). So, provided the next one is newer than '3707' and is not screwed up during mounting, I guess I cannot complain too much other than missing a few days of my vacation time and now two days of work. But, I'm going to try to not get my hopes up, just in case this next install gets botched too.

Thanks again for all of the input, I really appreciate it!

This site is SUCH a great resource.

By the way, you folks in the pacific northwest that are on the VR assistance list, you better lookout, I've got your numbers!! Hopefully I won't have to call any of yous for assistance though :happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis

I was watching this one but not posting....thanks for the closure! I wondered if you had left Texas...hadn't heard anything.

Sure glad you didnt hit the highway with that...could have been a bad situation...even if it only was a slow leaker and you were in the middle of nowhere when you felt that awful feeling in the rear of the bike that says...'hey something is wrong back here!'

This could have been a totally different story. Be glad its only a couple of days of your time, and some aggravation thats the biggest problem.

I was watching this one but not posting....thanks for the closure! I wondered if you had left Texas...hadn't heard anything.

Sure glad you didnt hit the highway with that...could have been a bad situation...even if it only was a slow leaker and you were in the middle of nowhere when you felt that awful feeling in the rear of the bike that says...'hey something is wrong back here!'

This could have been a totally different story. Be glad its only a couple of days of your time, and some aggravation thats the biggest problem.

Yea, no kidding.

I've had a rear tire let loose at highway speed before (on my wing). While the bike was okay (and so was I), other than what felt like a minor heart attack and needing a proctologist to remove bits of seat, I would much rather NOT repeat that business again. Especially on the middle of some state highway in the middle of B.F.N. Wyoming or Montana. That and of course, it being a front tire - I am not sure if I could keep the bike up or not.

Guest tx2sturgis
Yea, no kidding.

I've had a rear tire let loose at highway speed before (on my wing). While the bike was okay (and so was I), other than what felt like a minor heart attack and needing a proctologist to remove bits of seat, I would much rather NOT repeat that business again. Especially on the middle of some state highway in the middle of B.F.N. Wyoming or Montana. That and of course, it being a front tire - I am not sure if I could keep the bike up or not.

Oh...thought it was a rear tire...looking at the pic closely now...I see its a front, as both brake rotors are visible...ok...well same bad result, or maybe worse.

Anyway, glad its gonna be fixed.

Oh yea, if all goes as planned and nothing else creeps up on me, I should be blowing through Plainview (or west of Plainview on 385) around 5am, Thursday morning. I should return around 3/Aug +/- a few days. :D

I might just have to like this 2k mile commute.

Guest tx2sturgis
.... I should return around 3/Aug +/- a few days. :D

I might just have to like this 2k mile commute.

Well other than the fact that you are confused on your return dates*...have a great trip!

* You wouldnt dare run thru Wyoming in early August without diverting over to say hey to us in Sturgis! ...

Well other than the fact that you are confused on your return dates*...have a great trip!

* You wouldnt dare run thru Wyoming in early August without diverting over to say hey to us in Sturgis! ...

Haha, we'll see. My return route was going to run me down the left coast a ways, then cut back over to Texas. I need to be back no later than 6/Aug to catch a flight out for another trip so, we'll see how I feel come the end of July - I might just crash your 'little' party there.

Replaced by dealer, no additional cost to me other than missing a few more days of my vacation and now 2 days of work. But, that is how it goes.

New tire on, rubber is still stamped 07, but I'll probably replace these tires again by the end of the year anyway (due to mileage) so, big whoop.

Anyhoo, new tire looks good. Perfectly balanced with no weights. It surprised the installer as well as myself. I didn't believe it, so he showed me.

Re-greased everything and checked my bearings. Mounted the wheel and took a test ride. Everything seems fine so far. It was wet out AND I have not scrubbed this sucker in yet, so I took it real easy, but it rides fine, no funny vibrations or noises and best of all when I got home and put 'er back up on the jack. Looked over the tire real carefully and no splits, cracks, etc. - JUST LIKE IT should have been the first time.

Thanks again for all of the input folks.

Over and Out.

:thumbsup2:

• 2 weeks later...

Dunlops biased plys touring tires are used a lot. So there is no exuse for a 3 year old tire on your bike unless they were dirt cheap. I can get any Dunlop for 25% less than an Avon. But I do not run Dunlops. I won't get into my reasoning here. So I am sure that these are old stock the dealer had sitting around. You got stuck with a 3 year old tire 2 times. My guy orders them for me when I need them. The oldest tire he had ever gottin me was 10 months old.

Actually, the specific tire sizes used on the 2nd gens are used on very few other machines. The front E3 I mounted on 05/28/09 also as a 3707 date.

Here is what I think is going on - the entire E3 series was brand new back around 2007. The 150/80-16 front tire was available from the beginning, but it took them a couple of years to get around to making a rear tire to fit our bikes. I suspect that the 37th week of 2007 may have been the very first run of that tire size, and since those tires are only used by the Royal Stars, Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad and Suzuki Intruder/C90, it is possible they rarely need to do a new run - maybe they have never done one since 3707? Anyway, it looks like there may be a bunch of the original 3707 E3s sitting around rotting in warehouses just waiting for us to finally need them.

Personally I have not been super impressed with the E3 front tire, so when I need a new front for the new E3 I just mounted on the rear of QuickSilver, I think I'll put a Venom on there.

Goose

Actually, the specific tire sizes used on the 2nd gens are used on very few other machines. The front E3 I mounted on 05/28/09 also as a 3707 date.

Here is what I think is going on - the entire E3 series was brand new back around 2007. The 150/80-16 front tire was available from the beginning, but it took them a couple of years to get around to making a rear tire to fit our bikes. I suspect that the 37th week of 2007 may have been the very first run of that tire size, and since those tires are only used by the Royal Stars, Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad and Suzuki Intruder/C90, it is possible they rarely need to do a new run - maybe they have never done one since 3707? Anyway, it looks like there may be a bunch of the original 3707 E3s sitting around rotting in warehouses just waiting for us to finally need them.

Personally I have not been super impressed with the E3 front tire, so when I need a new front for the new E3 I just mounted on the rear of QuickSilver, I think I'll put a Venom on there.

Goose

Thanks goose. That is interesting. A question for you is where do you get your tires? My dealer gets them out of some central warehouse in Texas... somewhere (I'm pretty sure it is physically located in Dallas... somewhere).

In any case, it would be interesting to find out when the last time Dunlop actually stamped out a run of this size E3... but we'll probably never get to know that.

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks goose. That is interesting. A question for you is where do you get your tires? My dealer gets them out of some central warehouse in Texas... somewhere (I'm pretty sure it is physically located in Dallas... somewhere).

All my tires are ordered over the internet - and I compare prices and always buy the cheapest I can find for the specific brand/size from a site I trust. Back before 2009 that was usually SW Moto, but since they sold out, I have been finding better prices at Motorcycle Superstore and Jake Wilson. No mater who I order from, the tires are usually drop-shipped from a wholesaler (like Tucker-Rocky, but I have seen several different names), and I never know where they will be shipped from. Southwest used to ship their own, but I've seen tires come in from Washington, Utah, Arizona, and Texas (and maybe other places I do not remember).

Goose