Does anyone have a suggestion as to why my rear brake rotor seems to be only making good contact with the outer half of the swept area? Rotor is new and the caliper recently rebuilt by one of the pros on this board. I have been underwhelmed by the braking action at the rear - it is worse than with the old, worn rotor, caliper and old rubber brake hoses!

What does inside of rotor look like, if worn on 'inside' of swept area, would suspect somehow that the caliper is not square with the rotor.- meaning caliper bracket bent.

Just a suggestion:2cents:

Doug,

Attached is a thread that will show the axle re-assembly order.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515

Just a question here, Is the brake pad installed correctly? Are they the correct pads? If you still have your old pads, compare them.

In your first picture, it looks like the bottom of the pad isn't coming down below the lower surface (Inner I.D. of contact area) of the rotor. I don't know if you could even install it wrong, but the picture puzzles me.

Do you have an MKI rotor installed?

Also, another interesting thing is the orientation of the Yamaha logo, it should be parallel to ground. Do you maybe have front and rear caliper switched? Bleeder valve should be at highest point on caliper body.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Thanks guys for the suggestions. The inside contact area of the rotor is perfectly normal.

Gary may be on to something - perhaps I switched the front and rear calipers! I'll have a look tomorrow as long as life doesn't get in the way. I think I will pull the axle to ensure I reassembled it correctly

It is indeed a Mk. 1 rotor.

Thanks again!

Doug

Looks like...

But I had to go out to the garage to look to be sure. Darned if I could tell the difference, other than the Yamaha emblem on the caliper. At least my contact pattern on the rear rotor is all the way across it. I owe it all to clean living and this forum!!!

Edited by Bill W.
Being a D.A.