IGNORED

Help Electrical

Two years ago I put a set of stebal air horns on. I just got it back from the shop to replace the shock and the horn on the right I did not like the way they had it mounted, they had to remove it to get to the shock. So I was going to move it to where I wanted it and the bolt holding the horn came loose. So I had to unplug the wires to remount it and one of the wires drooped on the exhaust pipe and sparked and now neither air horn works. I replaced the relay nothing, the stock front horn works but not the rear horn. I did run separate fuses for each air horn, both look good. what do I need to check to get them to work? Have the horns attached to passenger floorboards.

tew47

Hook a meter up to the horn wires, and push the button. If you get 12 volts, then it's the horn. If you don't, then start tracing it back until you DO get 12 volts.

BINGO:thumbsup2: Thats what I do if I had a wiring problem......

Two years ago I put a set of stebal air horns on. I just got it back from the shop to replace the shock and the horn on the right I did not like the way they had it mounted, they had to remove it to get to the shock. So I was going to move it to where I wanted it and the bolt holding the horn came loose. So I had to unplug the wires to remount it and one of the wires drooped on the exhaust pipe and sparked and now neither air horn works. I replaced the relay nothing, the stock front horn works but not the rear horn. I did run separate fuses for each air horn, both look good. what do I need to check to get them to work? Have the horns attached to passenger floorboards.

tew47

I suspect that you have a problem with the way that these horns were wired it to begin with. None of the wires should be live going in and out of the horn until that horn button is pushed.

Doing the check for 12V on the leads is a step in the right direction, but, it doesn't take that long to trace electrical wiring - especially what you have installed yourself. I'd double check to make sure that the correct wires are plugged into the correct places on the relay, and some electrical checks at the relay itself to make sure the correct wires are going in and out of the correct places.

Just a thought and my :2cents:

:080402gudl_prv:

EDIT: I just reread Monty's post and realize that he has basically already said this. Sorry to be repetitive.

I suspect that you have a problem with the way that these horns were wired it to begin with. None of the wires should be live going in and out of the horn until that horn button is pushed.

Actually, the stock horns on all Ventures (1st & 2nd gens) have direct, fused, positive battery going straight to them. This is with key in ON position only.

If you tapped into this circuit to run your air horn, and did not use a relay, then there may have been power to the wire.

Or, if you broke the ground circuit through the relay contacts, similar to what stock horns do, then there may still be power to horn.

Gary

Actually, the stock horns on all Ventures (1st & 2nd gens) have direct, fused, positive battery going straight to them. This is with key in ON position only.

:doh: I should have thought about that a little more thoroughly before I posted. Thanks for correcting me.

Got both horns to work. I found the diagram for the stebel horns and rewired them to it, anddddd they work!!!!!! My wife was praying for me the whole time, thank you Jesus.

tew47

Did you break the negative with the relays? Nothing wrong with breaking negative, other than the unexpected energized wire.

This would explain sparking when wire brushed pipe. Otherwise circuit should be de-energized.

Gary