IGNORED

Which cell phone and service has best GPS ?

cb1313

I have a T-Mobile G1, the first Android Phone. The GPS is pretty good, and the mapping is straight from Google Maps. Navigation is really good, and considers live traffic conditions when it does routing.

To use, you pull up the Map application. Then you do a search (it's a Google search) for what you want. You can optionally browse categories (e.g., auto repair or fast food). Then you can review the answers (which are pretty darn good, I must say). Pick the one you want, select directions to get the choice of a route map or using Navigation. It's all very intuitive, and built by Google (the Android operating system is a Google technology).

By the way, you can search by voice if you prefer. It does a surprisingly good job, and I frequently use it when I am unsure of the spelling of something.

Like I said, it works great on my 1st generation device. The later ones have more horsepower and are undoubtedly better.

Dave

Might help to know what service you have in your area. I do know the new HTC EVO from sprint is supposed to be really good, don't know if it has GPS. Probably does though you can do video conferencing on this new phone so why not GPS.

Margaret

If you buy a Blackberry or Windows Mobile phone from any of the phone carriers you should navigate the phone to http://m.bing.com/download and get their new version of Bing Mobile. It now has turn-by-turn spoken directions exactly like a Garmin. VERY COOL. It also allows you to speak to it rather than typing when searching for thing.

Not too bad for the price...free.

GPS function worked very well through AT&T but....

For some reason when the GPS was turned on I had just about an hour battery life on a full charge versus 3-4 days of moderate phone use.

So If you needed to use the GPS you better get there quick!:confused24:

This was a couple years ago and things may have improved since.

DROID from Verizon.

Just hit the Navigate button (or put it in the nav mount) then tell it where you want to go. It will calculate the route and give you voice directions as well as the GPS screen.

If, on the way, you should get hungry and want a Big Map, just tell it "Show McDonald's" and it will show you all of the Mickey D's along your route. Select one and it guides you there. No ridiculous map upgrade charges since it uses the current version of Google maps.

The only issue I am aware of with cell phones as GPS is that if a phone call comes in while navigating, the GPS voice will override the cell conversation if the voice needs to give you directions. I understand that this is being addressed with the next version of Android. Hope they get that fixed.