IGNORED

1st Gen VS. 2nd Gen

Bubbajbi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding Stan???

The most memorable comments about my first gen were that it must have been designed by a woman, and that my wife must have picked it out...LOL

The first gen IS a classic, but the second gens look like a classic, which is why I am going to make my first gen look like a second gen:-)

To each his own. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I ever get in the position to afford a much newer bike I can't see myself buying anything that resembles the styling of a 2nd Gen, regardless of manufacturer. Probably go to a Goldwing or similar design.

To each his own. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I ever get in the position to afford a much newer bike I can't see myself buying anything that resembles the styling of a 2nd Gen, regardless of manufacturer. Probably go to a Goldwing or similar design.

Sorry but I'll have to disagree with that one. If there are no more 1st Gens available I would have to have a 2nd Gen. Still got that big V-4 heart. And how could they call me Yammer on a Gold Wing???

No more first gens what a scary thought. I got two with low mileage plus a spare motor. I should be good for another 1/2 million miles. Dan what a thought you would go to the dark side if no more first gens? Now I know why you have a few spares. A scarier thought anything else means no more Yammer Dan. Long live a first gen.

Guest Ken8143

Yup - cabin fever has surely set in. And rest assured, there is no rancor in the ribbing about 1st v. 2nd gen. We all know which is the better bike!

I like my 1st gen a lot - put 15K miles on since June 06 so that says something, but - I have to admit, at 6' tall and with my knees getting gimpy, I don't have the leg room or position that I want.

I am not a speed demon, so it has enough umpf for me. And It does fine in the twisties. Any problems with handling at slow speed or in hard turns are my fault not the bike.

Now don't nobody go ballistic on me here - take a few deep breaths, lower your internal reactor...... but..... I rode my brother's Road King last weekend. Never sat on a HD before. Heel toe shifter - never did that before. I like heel-toe. A lot. AND I could stretch out my legs in a comfortable position, and I sort of liked the 2 cylinder rumble. And it had all the acceleration etc. that I need. But, guess what was dripping out on the underneath of the left side...I checked...yup, it was.

So - life is too short to get your knickers all in a knot about these things! Like someone said, it doesn't matter what you ride - just ride!

Sorry but I'll have to disagree with that one. If there are no more 1st Gens available I would have to have a 2nd Gen. Still got that big V-4 heart. And how could they call me Yammer on a Gold Wing???

huh?? and all this time I thought "yammer" had to do with how you speak...

:sign20::sign just kidding::witch_brew:

Guest Provoker
.......So the 1st Gen looks like a Honda................But your 2nd Gen looks like a Harley..........

Hello E-Fishin-C:

It is really hard to imagine a second gen owner accusing first gens of looking like Hondas, because first gens are completely unique and don't look like any other bike I have ever seen, and as you say, the second gen looks like a Harley...Kawasaki/Suzuki/Honda/Indian/etc, etc, etc,,,,

However, even though I am not particularly a Harley fan, I do like the classic style they spawned. The first bike I ever rode on, in the early 50s, was my brothers 1942 45CI flathead Harley, and I find the "hard tail look" of the current crop of cruisers to be quite nostalgic.

I too am a newby to VR, and I've gotten a chuckle reading the good natured bantering back and forth of 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen. But I do have to throw my support in for Muffinman's opinion. I've been searching for a Venture for quite some time now, and have friends who ride 2nd Gen, and hound me when I tell them I want a 1st Gen., I try to tell them I don't like Harley's and I don't want to ride a Harley look-a-like. I found a beautiful 84 VR, and have purchased it, and am looking forward to many kilometers of riding yet to come.

I too am a newby to VR, and I've gotten a chuckle reading the good natured bantering back and forth of 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen. But I do have to throw my support in for Muffinman's opinion. I've been searching for a Venture for quite some time now, and have friends who ride 2nd Gen, and hound me when I tell them I want a 1st Gen., I try to tell them I don't like Harley's and I don't want to ride a Harley look-a-like. I found a beautiful 84 VR, and have purchased it, and am looking forward to many kilometers of riding yet to come.

Better plan on meeting up with the Ontario Clan too, for various M&Es including Carl's which is a MUST ATTEND in my opinion............

:2cents: