IGNORED

De-skunking wash for your dog

saddlebum

Ok!! so now that my dog has been sprayed by a skunk for about the eleventh time, :bang head::bang head:

I thought for those of you that own dogs, I would post the recipe that I use ( and have found to be the best non-commercial wash I have used so far) to de-skunk my dogs. I have done the tomato juice,yuk thing. I have done the coke and pepsi thing (a little better), but none so far have worked as well.

NOTE ! I usually find that mixing 1/4 of the amount seems to be enough for an average size 50-60 lb dog.

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

¼ cup baking soda

1 teaspoon of strong liquid soap such as dishwashing detergent. (polmolive or sunlight work well here)

Mix the ingredients in an open bucket or bowl. The mixture will fizz. Wet your dog and thoroughly massage the solution into the coat. Be sure to keep the mixture out of the dogs eyes, nose and mouth. If it is necessary to apply it to the dogs face, very carefully use a washcloth or a sponge. After applying the mixture to all parts of your dog that may have been sprayed, rinse the dog thoroughly.

*Warning*

This mixture can be explosive, as it will fizz and creates pressure if it is enclosed in a seal tight container. Never store unused portion, always discard. Be sure to only mix in an open container and do not try to store or cover it in any way. Do not get the mixture into the dog's eyes, nose or mouth.

We use a product called Odor Control Skunked. It works great. It works better the sooner the dog is bathed and you only need to bath the dog once.

However, if the dog gets wet for the next month (or few weeks any ways) the smell does come back a bit.

We use a product called Odor Control Skunked. It works great. It works better the sooner the dog is bathed and you only need to bath the dog once.

However, if the dog gets wet for the next month (or few weeks any ways) the smell does come back a bit.

Thats the beauty of this homemade concoction the smell very seldom comes back when the dog gets wet. As mentioned earlier however time is a factor , the sooner the better.

"*Warning*

This mixture can be explosive"................................

shoulda read that before i washed my dog.....after he blew up we found him in the neighbors yard three houses away.....he doesn't smell anymore cause we blew all his hair off ....lol !!

here is the cure for skunked dog: "MASSENGEL DOUCHE" , no kidding, if i'm lying i'm dying. my old dog was a skunk magnet, first time we took her to a groomer and came out fresh as a daisy, i asked the groomer and she told me thats the secret. I t has to be massengel , generic or otherwise does not work. buy a 6 pack soak the dog for 10-20 min and shampoo as normal. the looks from the cashier are worth the price alone,lol...

"*Warning*

This mixture can be explosive"................................

shoulda read that before i washed my dog.....after he blew up we found him in the neighbors yard three houses away.....he doesn't smell anymore cause we blew all his hair off ....lol !!

:bang head::bang head: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bang head::bang head:

here is the cure for skunked dog: "MASSENGEL DOUCHE" , no kidding, if i'm lying i'm dying. my old dog was a skunk magnet, first time we took her to a groomer and came out fresh as a daisy, i asked the groomer and she told me thats the secret. I t has to be massengel , generic or otherwise does not work. buy a 6 pack soak the dog for 10-20 min and shampoo as normal. the looks from the cashier are worth the price alone,lol...

Is that "MASSENGEL DOUCHE" or "MASSENGILL DOUCHE " ?

PS No criticism intended here, just curious if it is a spelling error or if they are in fact 2 different brands.

Edited by saddlebum

:bang head::bang head: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bang head::bang head:

Is that "MASSENGEL DOUCHE" or "MASSENGILL DOUCHE " ?

PS No criticism intended here, just curious if it is a spelling error or if they are in fact 2 different brands.

Massengill is correct. I've heard the same thing from our groomer.