IGNORED

Help - Grease for Spline

I want to grease the spline of the drive shaft and the Service manual recommends Lithium soap base grease. I am not sure what to buy. I have looked at a number of greases and many mention lithium as a componenet but nowhere does it mention "Lithium Soap Base" .

I have bought Lucas Red and Tacky no.2. The information on the tube mentions that it is a technical blend of lithium and polymer plus a heavy addition of antiwhear /anti -seize agents. Good temperature stability, resistance to Acid and Alkali, good resistence to rust and excellent water resistance. It is a readish color.

Is that OK to use? What are the alternative that would also do the job that I can buy in Canada? Is White LIthium Grease (either in tube or spray cans) OK?

I need your expert advice on what product to use.

Thanks

Jean-Claude

Lithium soap base grease is just a standard grease - nothing special. I personally would use a normal 5% moly grease on the drive shaft splines, but if the manufacturer calls for a lithium soap base grease, just about any grease will do.

Seems like lots of people are suddenly enamored with Honda Moly60, but I personally don't have it and wouldn't use it anywhere unless a manufacturer specifically called for it. In particular, about the only place it is of value is some dirty, nasty, off-road, dry, pure metal-to-metal contact that will probably never be kept greased - Only in that specific situation is the ultra high moly content ever going to be of any value. In 99.9999999% of cases where any moly grease is specified, 5% moly is absolutely acceptable. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thank you all for your quick answers.

I have found some grease with molybdinum disulfide and will use it on the shaft spline. I have also found Lithium base grease, although it does not say "Lithium soap base" that I will use where the service manual calls for Lithium soap base grease.

Thanks again

Jean-Claude

Honestly, Honda Moly60 *IS* overkill when greasing parts up but then again, why not go for the best when it's available.. No one is saying it's a bad choice, but to most its way more than enough, almost like saying why use gold when silver is good enough, but gold is better.. but not required.. Silver works and is cheaper, but gold does a better job but more expensive in most cases and applications.. silly analogy but meh, it works for me..

I have several tubes in the shop.. expensive up here but when I find it cheap in the US I bring some of the good stuff back home ;)

While most greases are sufficient I personally use Honda Moly60. For a few dollars more why not use the best out there. But thats just my opinion. :smile5:

grease is grease and if splines are serviced regularly, why throw your money away ... is it just so you can say "I use the best grease out there!"

That Honda moly60 is EXPENSIVE in comparison to any other grease that will "do the job quite adequately".

(that's just my opinion) :witch_brew:

I want to grease the spline of the drive shaft and the Service manual recommends Lithium soap base grease.

Depending on WHERE you look in the manual it will also tell you to use a Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) bearing grease. Page 7-91 says to use Moly on the drive shaft splines.....

IF you want your bikes drive shaft and splines between the final drive and rear wheel to last more than say 50K miles you should use Moly grease.....

I recommend using Honda Moly60 as it is easily available and inexpensive when compared to other Moly greases....... It is available for the best price at a Honda or Acura CAR dealership for under $8...... heads up it is 3 Oz of grease in a 6 Oz tube, so don't be shocked when it is only half full.......

$8 is INEXPENSIVE compared to a drive shaft and any related worn out parts.......

I apply it with an Acid Brush from the plumbing department of the hardware store. I cut the bristles off to about 3/8" length. A little of this grease goes a LONG way. 3 Oz is a LIFETIME supply for me....

Depending on WHERE you look in the manual it will also tell you to use a Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) bearing grease. Page 7-91 says to use Moly on the drive shaft splines.....

IF you want your bikes drive shaft and splines between the final drive and rear wheel to last more than say 50K miles you should use Moly grease.....

I recommend using Honda Moly60 as it is easily available and inexpensive when compared to other Moly greases....... It is available for the best price at a Honda or Acura CAR dealership for under $8...... heads up it is 3 Oz of grease in a 6 Oz tube, so don't be shocked when it is only half full.......

$8 is INEXPENSIVE compared to a drive shaft and any related worn out parts.......

I apply it with an Acid Brush from the plumbing department of the hardware store. I cut the bristles off to about 3/8" length. A little of this grease goes a LONG way. 3 Oz is a LIFETIME supply for me....

+1 on all of the above. And I find the best place to keep the brush is in the cap of the grease tube. Make a hole just big enough to push the brush handle through from the inside.

Thank you all for your quick answers.

I have found some grease with molybdinum disulfide and will use it on the shaft spline. I have also found Lithium base grease, although it does not say "Lithium soap base" that I will use where the service manual calls for Lithium soap base grease.

Thanks again

Jean-Claude

Guys, I'm pretty much hearing gibberish. "Lithium soap base" is a TYPE of grease. Molybdenum Disulfide is an ADDITIVE!

So, Lithium grease with a molly additive, I think, would be fine. God know what grease, with moly, leaves achieving design specs up to chance.....

This may help. I copied this from a post I made in April of last year...

"Just info for those that want to know...

In previous post some have mentioned Lithium grease instead of Moly for the driveline lube. I was browsing around the Honda Interactive Network this morning and pulled up the MSDS for the Moly-60. Here is a pic of the actual ingredients list...

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/BigBoyinMS/MOLY60MSDS.jpg

It has Lithium in it and there is almost 1/2 as much Lithium as Moly. And a little bit of 2 secret ingredients.

And the reason the percentages don't add up is they only count the actual working ingredients, not the grease that's the carrier for them . (It's 15-20% of Moly by weight but about 60% of the 4 main ingredients)

Edit: FYI, the company that provides Moly-60 to Honda is ThreeBond."

This may help. I copied this from a post I made in April of last year...

"Just info for those that want to know...

In previous post some have mentioned Lithium grease instead of Moly for the driveline lube. I was browsing around the Honda Interactive Network this morning and pulled up the MSDS for the Moly-60. Here is a pic of the actual ingredients list...

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww202/BigBoyinMS/MOLY60MSDS.jpg

It has Lithium in it and there is almost 1/2 as much Lithium as Moly. And a little bit of 2 secret ingredients.

And the reason the percentages don't add up is they only count the actual working ingredients, not the grease that's the carrier for them . (It's 15-20% of Moly by weight but about 60% of the 4 main ingredients)

Edit: FYI, the company that provides Moly-60 to Honda is ThreeBond."

That is not for Honda Moly60!!!!!! Moly60 is 60% Moly....

Here is the second hand MSDS info for Moly60 I found on the internet. If someone can get an original MSDS, PLEASE post the link!!!!!

Ingred Name:MOLYBDENUM DISULFIDE

CAS:1317-33-5

RTECS #:QA4697000

Fraction by Wt: 60-62%

Other REC Limits:NONE RECOMMENDED

Ingred Name:MINERAL OIL, PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY

PARAFFINIC

CAS:64742-65-0

RTECS #:PY8038500

Fraction by Wt: 15-20%

OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

ACGIH TLV:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

Ingred Name:HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHENIC DISTILLATE, PETROLEUM

CAS:64742-52-5

RTECS #:PY8035000

Fraction by Wt: 10-14%

OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

ACGIH TLV:5 MG/M3 (OIL MIST)

Ingred Name:LITHIUM 12 HYDROXYSTEARATE

CAS:7620-77-1

Fraction by Wt: 3-6%

Ingred Name:ADDITIVES, PROPIETARY

Fraction by Wt: 1-2%

That is not for Honda Moly60!!!!!! Moly60 is 60% Moly....

Here is the second hand MSDS info for Moly60 I found on the internet. If someone can get an original MSDS, PLEASE post the link!!!!!

That is actually copied directly from the Moly-60 MSDS from the Honda/Acura "dealer access only" website. If you'll look at the post again I explain that the 60 in Moly-60 comes from it's percentage of the ingredients less the grease that carries it. The MSDS shows the ingredients by weight.

I would be happy to post the link but like I said it's on the dealer only website.

I use a Loctite Moly 65 paste...if you want to use Moly on the drive pins on the RSV...use this.

you can find it in many places...mostly industial supplers...Grainger, Wilson supply...MSC supply.

Here is a link for the MSDS to this stuff...note the 60-100 Molybdenum disulfide.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00014/00270256-20051026.PDF

Also the link to purchase

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1659540&PMT4NO=88703457

but like has been said here already...I think if you do regular maintenance...any good grease will work. I use this cause I had a problem at 700 miles with drive pins clicking...