IGNORED

How do I get my riding lights on?

I have a 2000 Venture and had it for a week or so. Thought the riding lights next to the headlight would come on automatically but they don't. Read my book and searched for a switch and can't find a way to turn it on. The PO put LEDs' on signals and the canceling doesn't work. I was wondering if maybe these issues were connected some way. The turn signals not canceling is an issue. I am worried about it from a safety stand point so need to try to figure out how to fix it.

Appreciate your input.

Bob

For the passing lamps, look for a switch beside the power outlet on the left side of the front fairing. That is where a lot of them are installed. Also, some are wired so that they only come on with the low beams even when the switch is on.

As for the turn signals, how are you testing them? They will not automatically cancel if you are sitting still.

Replacing normal signal bulbs with LEDs will almost always screw up either the blink rate or self canceling feature due to the difference in current draw. All you should have to do is put normal bulbs back in. I think your bike uses 1157 bulbs in front and 1156 in the rear. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Don,

Thanks for the reply.

There is a switch where you said. It appears that it works for the hand grip heaters.

I have tried the switch in all three positions and the riding lights don't come on.

As far as the turn signals, they will not turn off at all, whether I am on the road going straight for 15 minutes or at a stop sign. The PO said it happened when he put in the LED's. THought was that the lights don't draw enough power to signal the lights to cancel. Somebody mentioned adding a resistor at the MD last weekend, but I am not sure how I would go about doing it.

Thanks for trying to help. Was great last weekend. You have put together a wonderful thing here. After going to the MD last weekend I understand the bond of the group much better. I hope that some day I can give at least as much as I take but I am certainly a taker at this point.

Bob

Well Bob....

The door is always open here in Conroe Texas if you want to come down. There is a place to lay your head and the air conditioning is on :) Goose and Don are on the money as always, it was good meeting you @ MD, looking forward to the next time :thumbsup2:

The switch you are looking for is a black push button switch with a rubber cover. It is usually mounted to the left side of the power outlet. but I'd look carefully all over the inside of the fairing, including the underside above the handlebars. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have an RSTD, but the switch for my passing lamps is on the lamp housing. It's a toggle switch. If the typical switch is being used for heated grips, maybe that's where the switch is?

I guess you also checked the fuses to see if your passing lamp fuse is blown? Sometimes, there is an inline PITA fuse. I reckon I'd trace the power to see where it is coming from, and find the switch that way.

Dave

The toggle switch mentioned sounds like the grips, Gunboat has a set on his '99 and up is low and down is high. If it's a factory light bar setup it's more than likely a push button like Goose mentioned. You might need to split the fairing to see where the wires go to. If you want a voice to talk you through iut you got the number, I can walk you through the whole thing.

Hey Dave Zipcode.....nice new avitar :thumbsup2:

The RSTD lights will not normally fit on an RSV, but with a spacer anything is possible. It certainly is easy enough to look on the lower back part of the lights for a small metal toggle switch. In the end, splitting the fairing and tracing the wires is the fool-proof solution.

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Its possible that both of the bulbs are blown. I'd check that first, just to eliminate that possibility. Use a sharp pointed, 12v circuit tester and probe the wires or connectors to make sure you do or dont have power to the lamps. Then proceed from there.

To cancel the turn signals press directly in on the turn signal switch. This will cancel the turn signals. Check to see if the driving lights will come on if the high beams are on.

Eric,

I looked behind the fairing and there is no in line fuse. I know the signals turn off manually, but I am going to get myself killed forgeting to turn them off. It is one of the major reasons for accidents and I keep catching myself. They don't come on with high beams. I don't know if it is caused by LED's. It appears to me the riding lights are tied in with the heated grips. Don't know if that is causing a problem.

First thing I would do is to pull the seat. There is a fuse block tucked in beside the battery. Check it fir a blown fuse. Second place to look is to find the relay. Make sure all of those wires are plugged in. Next check where the wires exit the light bar and make sure the wires havn't gotten pinched at the frame fork stop ( happened once before) causing it to short out. I still think the driving lights are wired into the headlight circuit and should go off and on when changing from bright to dim. As far at the turn signals go you will have to replace the blinker relay with the OEM unit. I think I still have the original I'll send it to you if I can find it. If you change to the original relay the turn signals will blink at a faster rate. This can be over come with a resister of some sort, If I remember correctly. Do a search on this site to find out how to do it.