IGNORED

Yes, another tire question...Elite 3's

Just got finished putting a new set of Elite III's on the old 86 and did a good ride to break them in. Man they are a smooth, good handling tire!! One question, how much pressure do I need to run in them? I had Elite II's on it before and I ran the manual specs for two up (35 front / 40 rear). Should I run the Elite III's the same??? Thanks for the input.

Just got finished putting a new set of Elite III's on the old 86 and did a good ride to break them in. Man they are a smooth, good handling tire!! One question, how much pressure do I need to run in them? I had Elite II's on it before and I ran the manual specs for two up (35 front / 40 rear). Should I run the Elite III's the same??? Thanks for the input.

Mick, I believe I usually run about 38 in the front and 43/45 in the rear on my Elite III's. Not sure that is right, but it seems to work for me.

RandyA

Have been running 40-45 psi in my Elite III's... 14,000 miles on the rear with at least another 5 or 6K left on it. Front has 7k and looks brand new. Mostly 1 & 2 up highway miles... some pulling a trailer. Will never buy another tire other than the E3's... hope they don't stop making them!

My Dunlop E2 is pretty much worn, and after much searching, I finally decided to buy a new back tire online. I just got the bike so I have no idea how many miles the current tire has on it.

I ended up paying 160 Canadian bucks for a MU90b-16, Dunlop E3, from http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca.

That was over 30 bucks cheaper than I could get in town. I plan on putting a couple of ounces of Dyna beads in it for balancing.

ps...the alpha system for motorcycle tires is inane and idiotic. What was wrong with simple metric...?

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this set of E-3's sitting in the garage for about a month or longer, thinking that I may actually have some riding time over the 4th of July, I spooned them on. Man oh man! I have a real motorcycle after all! I was beginning to think that it had been short wheelbased (ever ridden a bike that rear ended a car and the frame was tweaked?) because of the Franks forks that are on her. I bought her after she had been sitting for ten years and because I wasn't willing to gamble on the Elite II's on it, even though they still had the blue on the RWL and nubs all over them. I put a set of Shinkos on her before my first ride. The front end wanted to flop at low speeds and she had a nasty weave at speeds over 75mph while riding solo. I guess I could say all kinds of things about steering input and stability or feeling planted at all speeds, but I think my girlfriend summed it up nicely when she said it didn't feel she was riding on a bowl of oatmeal anymore. I hammered the Shinko's for about 6500 miles and the front still looks good, the rear was toast. I have only put about seventy miles on the E-3's, but it is the best seventy miles iv'e had on her. Very positive vibes all around. Nope didn't get to rack up the miles, but spending a day visting the Tall Ships at the former Ingleside Naval Station wasn't a bad way to spend the 4th. Looking forward to wearing these tires out.

Has anybody tried the mega-heavyweight (designed for Gold Wing) 160/80x16 on the back ?

The Elite 111 has a significantly higher load rating than other tyres available, but I don't know if it will quite fit or if it really gives higher mileage when loaded (with sidecar, trailer tent etc).

I need a new tyre before we set off across the channel to Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic in the Summer.

• 8 months later...

I'm only posting in this thread because it relates specifically to the E3 tire...

It pays to keep an eye on ebay. I just scored an E3 (18" for front) for 99.99 with free shipping. Current other pricing available for same tire-

Ron Ayers: 121.85 + 12 shipping (134)

MC Superstore: 120.99 + free ship (121)

JC Motors: 116.13 March sale (ordinarily 194.95!!!!!!!!!) + 17.56 ship (134)

Guest scarylarry

I just change from the E3"s and they are a good tire, I ran mine on yammy specs. It is under the trunk lid and they used metric readings.

It was 250 kgs in the front and 280 kgs in the back, I use the yammy gauge and it was metric also..

My tires had 16k miles on them when I change them

I had side wall cracking on my Avons, just had a Tire Rep. from Avon come & look at my tires He replace Both & no Charge. Had Bad Batch he said. Now for PSI i run my Avons at F- 38 Back 42 They call for 36/ 36 is that about right.

Guest scarylarry
I had side wall cracking on my Avons, just had a Tire Rep. from Avon come & look at my tires He replace Both & no Charge. Had Bad Batch he said. Now for PSI i run my Avons at F- 38 Back 42 They call for 36/ 36 is that about right.

Looks to be around 48-50 rear and 42 front

This is what comes off the Avon site:

http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

^^^ What he says!!!

You don't want to overinflate, nor underinflate. The only tire to vary from recomended pressure is the rear as it suports the brunt of the weight of the rider and passenger. Just a few extra psi should make the difference in handling. The air suspension is actually more important. If the rear tire needs more air it will "wallow" or feel spongy/mushy. If it is to much, it will feel extra firm and sensitive to just about every pebble you ride over! As far as the front, underinflation will make it feel like the bike hesitates to turn, and overinflated it will feel a little like you are on ice when turning, you loose some of the grip in turning. Improper inflation both ways leads to excess wear on the tires.

You wil find the E3's to handle quite well on al surfaces and wear like iron!!