IGNORED

Berryman B-12 Chemtool Fuel Treatment?

Bobby G

Anyone ever use this gas additive? It looks like it contains the same ingredients as Seafoam, but a 15 oz. can was only 2.98 at Walmart vs. 8.95 for the 16 oz. Seafoam. Berryman has been in business since 1918 and is located in Arlington TX.

Anyone ever use this gas additive? It looks like it contains the same ingredients as Seafoam, but a 15 oz. can was only 2.98 at Walmart vs. 8.95 for the 16 oz. Seafoam. Berryman has been in business since 1918 and is located in Arlington TX.

I've used it. Can't say if it is any good or not, but my mechanic neighbor suggested it.

It is about the best fuel system cleaner out there. Right up there with Sea Foam. It used to be pretty expensive, but the price has dropped considerably for some reason. Berryman makes several products for fuel systems, but I've only used the B-12 Chemtool. I have used it for years.

I figured I'd try it out in my F-150 first, since I'd never used it before, to see if it makes any difference in performance or milage. If it works at all, it's a steal at that price compared to Seafoam.

• 1 year later...

B-12 is considerably more harsh than Seafoam. It may be a good cleaner (I do not know for sure), but it is absolutely not the same as Seafoam. Just one item on the label will illustrate that - Seafoam is recommended for diesel engines, B-12 cannot be used in them.

Personally, I would try B-12 at the label recommended dose if I was going to run the full tank through in one day, but I would not put it in there and let it sit for several days/weeks to use up the tank in casual riding - I just do not trust it around the internal rubber parts.

Goose

I have used B12 for years and when Seafoam went out of the cottin pickin minds with the price I went right back to B12. I wouldn't use it as a gas stabilizer for vehicles sitting up, use Stabil for that, but to clean out a set of carbs....you bet!

My grandfather was a mechanic and that is what he used. Like others stated it is harsh and can eat some rubber parts if you spill it. No problem for the neoprene in the carbs. I get it by the gallon for rebuilding and use Seafoam to put in the tank. Use in ventilated area and don't leave it on you skin. Rod

I use the Berryman's for major cleaning. Sea_Foam is a Maintenance tool. If you use the Sea-Foam you won't need the Berryman's. I too would not leave Berryman's sit in carbs for long. I have left the Berryman's overnight in extreme cases where they were plugged good. I have done Sea-Foam soak for a week. Sea-Foam will not harm them but I'm not too sure about the Berryman's over extended period.