IGNORED

What is the proper way to clean a motorcycle

As I stated in an earlier article I just bought my first Gen 2. I have been riding a gen 1 so I didn't really pay much attention to how I cleaned it. The previous owner did a great job. Doesn't even have a water spot.

I would like to know how I clean the painted parts, metal and windsheild properly. Additionally, when I travel on long trips and get bugs all over the windshield how do I get them off so I don't scratch my windsheild. My old windsheild was so bad I couldn't figure it out. The only small amount of surface rust on this vehicle is on the bolts. I have thought I had seen that they sell dryers for after you wash your bike. Didn't know if this reduced or would eliminate this problem. Thanks for the help.

I think the paint is clear coated. I am thinking this means that wax is not necessary.

Pay some one to clean it. Just kiddin. Everyone has a different way they prefer but I wash mine just like a car. I take off the seats and get a bucket of water with car wash and wash away. I use my leaf blower to blow off water then wipe it down. If you're cleaning the windshield by itself the best thing to do is to soak a towel in warm water and put the towel on the windshield for about 5 minutes. Then squeeze the water from the towel over the windshield. I then use novus one and wipe down with a lint free cloth. When I'm on a trip I take one of the motel towels and let it soak and do the rest of what I mentioned. The windshield can be completely covered with bugs but after 5 minutes of a wet towel with warm water it will almost removed every bug without doing anything. If I'm on the second floor of a motel I stand on the ground next to my bike and my wife throws the wet towel down to me. If I'm in a hotel where you don't have access and have to go through the lobby, I take my wet towel and put it in a plastic bag and walk out the door to my bike. You never want to rub your windshield with bugs on it. The dead bugs harden and will scratch the windshield.

I just throw a couple of towels in the trunk and go to the car wash. I don't use the brush, just the spray wand. The reason this works better for me is because the water at my house leaves spots not matter how fast I try to dry it. At the car wash they have a spot free rinse so I can get it cleaner, with alot less work by going to the car wash.

A good wash mitt and a mild soapy solution works when the dirt is such that a quick wipe with a good detail spray won't work. Don't use detail spray on anything real dirty, but it is great for quick clean ups.

For bugs anywhere, rinse with a stream of water to try to get the hard bits off. Lightly rub with a soft towel and shake out or don't use it again. If not using a soapy water mix (and Liquid Ivory is way better than most "car or bike wash" stuff, it won't hurt anything, and gets oil/crud off better than most car wash soaps. never believe you can wash and wax in one step, just won't work.

An air blower is ok for drying but it can force water in places where it would not normally get, so just be logical about using those.

Wax all paint to protect it and you can even use wax on the windshield. It works a lot like Rain-x only not so hard to make streak free. Go easy with high pressure car washes or even those sprayers you can buy for home. Easy to take paint off some wheels, and damage other surfaces. Better to use a wash mitt.

Soft cotton towels to dry work well on something as small as a motorcycle. A good synthetic shammy is good to use and finish with a cotton towel.

I never leave home without a wet rag. I use a small empty "Nesquick" (chocolate...of course) container to put the wet rag in. Stands up in the side bag. Also take along the drying towel and a bottle of water for rinse (if you need to use the towel again) and drinking.

Give the wife some encouragement and point out the spots she missed. Tell her not to forget the windshield. It is OK for her to lay on the ground to get the wheels. You can hose the dirt off her latter. :missingtooth:

It is also OK to rotate the wheels so she can get them 360 degrees. I try to help her out every way I can. That's just me though ,kind and thoughtful.

I always get her the good wax too. Nothing is to good for her, I spare no expense. That way it only takes her 2-3 hours to do a good job. :missingtooth:

Try not to make her wash it in the rain cause it is to hard on the bike. :yikes:

I hope this was helpful and answered your question?

I gotta go take a nap will she get the chrome polished!

Bubber

Yep...if you want it done right, I get her to do it. That way she doesn't point out all the areas I've missed when cleaning it; and then asks me how could I have not seen it?

I never complain on how hard she works and always compliment her on a job well done.

:big-grin-emoticon:

That's one of the nice things about having a 27 year old motorcycle.

People don't have as high of expectations as to what it's suppose to look like.

I got a Ridin' Machine, not a Washin' Machine.

:sign isnt that spec

Gary

Bugs on the windshield, get a towel wet with hot water, lay it over the bugs to loosen them. Wipe gently with a dry cotton or microfiber towel, then polish with either Pledge or Plexus.

I personally do not wash very often, I polish. I use a spray cleaner polish like the Honda or Kawasaki clean and shine and just slowly go over every thing a little bit at a time. Often it takes me a week or two to get to everything. And I often ride in between, and will go over the larger surfaces like the tank, bags, fenders and pipes after a few rides even if I haven't finished everything else. So in effect my bike is never totally clean, and always in the process of being cleaned.

Guest scarylarry
Give the wife some encouragement and point out the spots she missed. Tell her not to forget the windshield. It is OK for her to lay on the ground to get the wheels. You can hose the dirt off her latter. :missingtooth:

It is also OK to rotate the wheels so she can get them 360 degrees. I try to help her out every way I can. That's just me though ,kind and thoughtful.

I always get her the good wax too. Nothing is to good for her, I spare no expense. That way it only takes her 2-3 hours to do a good job. :missingtooth:

Try not to make her wash it in the rain cause it is to hard on the bike. :yikes:

I hope this was helpful and answered your question?

I gotta go take a nap will she get the chrome polished!

Bubber

She will need to make a beer run before she gets started though.. I hate to run out and then she has to leave and HURRY back just to get me my beer...

Oh ya I let her fill the cooler and get the lounger out so I can watch the activities.

I would never make her make a beer run in the middle of cleaning the bike. Hey what do you think I am, a Barbarian or something?

:missingtooth::missingtooth::missingtooth:

I carry a can of Plexus in my saddlebag. I hate bugs on my windshield, so when I stop for gas or to look at the scenery, I spray the windshield and wipe the bugs away.

Karen bought me a Chamois cloth. When I wash the bike, I follow quickly with the cloth to wipe the spots off. It doesn't matter what I do though, I can't seem to keep my bike clean, so I don't worry too much about it.

Guest scarylarry
Oh ya I let her fill the cooler and get the lounger out so I can watch the activities.

I would never make her make a beer run in the middle of cleaning the bike. Hey what do you think I am, a Barbarian or something?

:missingtooth::missingtooth::missingtooth:

I always have her check the cooler before she starts and then get my favorite chair out for me to watch and drink beer...

Guest tx2sturgis

I'm surprised no one mentioned this...there are lots of 'proper' ways to clean a bike, and some 'improper' ways, too.

If you take it to a carwash with high pressure hoses, be careful where you point the nozzle!

Avoid spraying it directly and at close range at the wheel bearings, the neck bearings, the swingarm pivot bearings, the speedometer face, including those speaker grilles and cassette deck, any nooks and crannies where wiring is, including the small openings of the fairing, under the brake calipers, lock openings, taillight assembly...the list goes on and on.

Anything you don't want water inside of, then don't point the nozzle right at it...now if your careful, and spray at these items with the nozzle a few feet away, then the likelihood of water getting inside the item is reduced. But at close range, that high pressure hose can force water, soap, and dirt into bearings, connectors, and other things that don't like it.

As far as the windshield, when traveling, take along a can of Lemon Pledge or a product called Pro-Honda, now called Bike Spirits. Just spray it on and it will foam-up...let it sit for a few minutes...and then wipe it off with a soft terry or microfiber cloth, it takes those pesky bugs right off... (never EVER use paper towels or gas station squeegees on that plastic windshield!)

Also, never use Rain-X on your plastic windshield...it will discolor the plastic.

Anything you don't want water inside of, then don't point the nozzle right at it...now if your careful, and spray at these items with the nozzle a few feet away, then the likelihood of water getting inside the item is reduced. But at close range, that high pressure hose can force water, soap, and dirt into bearings, connectors, and other things that don't like it.

The self stick plastic wrap is good for some protection of this stuff

http://www.glad.com/plasticwrap/pressnseal.php

I have used s100 for years srray it on everywere and hose it off then dry it with a leaf blower I got & electric one just for the bikes . Windshield s100 also makes a cleaner for fibne parts keep a bottle in your saddle bag & a clean rag for the shield. If you need a touch up use mcquires in a spray bottle. keep that in saddle bag also. bill

Guest scarylarry
Bubber.

If I showed your posts to my pillion, she'd kill ya.

Does the word 'chauvanist' mean anything to you?:rasberry:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I have used s100 for years srray it on everywere and hose it off then dry it with a leaf blower I got & electric one just for the bikes . Windshield s100 also makes a cleaner for fibne parts keep a bottle in your saddle bag & a clean rag for the shield. If you need a touch up use mcquires in a spray bottle. keep that in saddle bag also. bill

I agree. Spray on the S-100, count to 100, then hose it off. The leaf blower thing kinda freaks out my neighbor, but I do it anyway just to annoy him. Then towel dry with a very soft diaper cloth or something similar. DON'T use shop towels from the auto parts store to wipe the bike down! Very bad for the finish. And NEVER use a pressure washer!!

I use only Pledge on the windshield and chrome. Works better then anything else I've ever tried. Keep it on the bike all the time.