IGNORED

The Beast is Alive!

OK all, I have the beast on the road (without plastic - see pic).

I love the de-linked brakes, but, I will probably replace the long rubber hose (master-to-coupler) with a braided line to firm the front brakes up a little.

The 1300 engine with Vmax cams and springs is a real hoot. The power is impressive! I need to do some fine-tuning on the carbs. They are from my 1200 and all I have done is to add 1.6mm spacers on the needles. It starts easy and runs good. The idle seems to wander a bit and I have not checked the mpg.

Next - PAINT

Gary,

Below is where I am at on carbs.

I know I will take a beating here for the way I have resized jets, but I had extras, and it was cheaper than buying a new set of four for $30-$40 for each different trial. If you only have one set of jets and need to go smaller, you can solder hole shut and re-drill. Mikuni jet sizes do not go by hole size in jets. They are rated at measured flow.

The mains have been resized to a #55 drill. Guess was that this would be close to 140. Judging by the size of the holes in a stock set of 170's and a stock set of 125's.

PAJ2 I resized to a #53 drill. Guess is that this is about 160. Doing this helped decrease roughness in 2500 - 4000 rpm range when at a steady rate of speed.

PAJ2 is an air jet. By going to a smaller size it enriches the the air/fuel mixture. PAJ2 is the one under the diaphragm.

For fuel jets, going to a larger size enriches air/fuel mixture.

Stock in the 1200 carbs is 117.5 for mains and 180 for PAJ2.

Stock in the 1300 carbs is 125 for mains and 170 for PAJ2.

I have mixture screws set at 3 turns out.

I also have two 5/8" dia. holes in the top lid of air box cover. I tried this last year with the stock 1200, and it was causing a stumbling in 3000 RPM range. There is no such effect now. I also have a K&N air filter.

Remember I have full Max heads, which have larger valves in them.

Bike is idling very smooth.

I have some files on working with carb jetting on Ventures & Max's if you want them.

Gary

Gary,

I have some Vmax carb stuff and a few other carb tune sheets. If these don't seem to help, I might be interested in your library. I have been hot rodding around testing the set up for the past two days. A fill-up revealed 24mpg. Not real good, but, it could be from the hot rodding :D

BTW; You were way too modest about what Vmax parts in a Venture can do to the fun factor . . . My VentureMax ROCKS

I put the Progressive Springs in today. A short run around the area, with no air in the forks, and I am wondering why I waited so long to put them in . . . The beast just keeps getting better!

BTW: The springs that came out are compound springs, like Progressive, and about 3 inches shorter. Very strange. Are these the stock springs?

BTW: The springs that came out are compound springs, like Progressive, and about 3 inches shorter. Very strange. Are these the stock springs?

Just replaced mine today also, Thought same thing. First two pics, stock at 17-3/4", last pic progreessive at 20=3/4"

Just replaced mine today also, Thought same thing. First two pics, stock at 17-3/4", last pic progreessive at 20=3/4"

That is exactly what I found in my forks and in the Progressive box! Thanks for the pics.

I reused the washers . . . one on top of the spring and one on top of the spacer.

Updates:

I really, really like the Progressive fork springs!

I removed one of the shims from the carbs last night. Now I have one shim at 0.8mm on each needle. The Beast idles excellent and I am very pleased with the way it's running/starting.

It is running so good that the clutch wants to slip a little under hard acceleration and above 5500 rpm. I think the clutch may be glazed from sitting for a few years. I will probably pull the disks, lightly sand them, soak them in new oil, and reinstall.

A local Maaco has quoted me $650 for paint and clear coat (I will do all of the prep work). I want to paint the beast a dark gray metallic.

• 2 months later...

The latest change in my carbs; Vmax needles! They are significantly thicker at the pointed end and in the middle vs the stock ones that I took out. I have a .5mm spacer on each needle. The Beast runs very, very good through the middle and I have pulled 9,000 RPM in second gear.

Idle circuit wants to continue to be difficult:

3.5 turns out on low-speed screws.

Starts easily without any choke (ambient temperature in my garage is 90F).

I add a little choke to obtain a 1500rpm idle when cold.

After warm up the idle seems to be OK. Maybe wanders a bit.

Deceleration produces light "pops" through the exhaust.

Around town MPG is between 30 and 34 (typical Vmax is given as 32 - 39).

I need to take a ride on the highway and check MPGs.

Edited by GaryZ

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I rode almost 200 miles today carrying an 11 year old girl passenger.

Gas mileage calculated as 38.5 mpg. I think this is very good for my Beast!

Can anyone tell me the positions on my 1985 VR petcock?

I want it to stay in the "reserve" position and I do not know where that is . . .

GaryZ,

That actually looks sorta good!

sort of like the "visable" series of models we used to have years ago.

I"m looking forward to getting mine in shape. I took an 84VR for a test ride and now I see what kind of power these bikes are SUPPOSED to have.

Mine's not even close!

Be sure to post pics once the paint is done!

GaryZ,

That actually looks sorta good!

sort of like the "visable" series of models we used to have years ago.

I"m looking forward to getting mine in shape. I took an 84VR for a test ride and now I see what kind of power these bikes are SUPPOSED to have.

Mine's not even close!

Be sure to post pics once the paint is done!

I tend to agree. I kinda like the "look". I really like the engine in plain sight in all its glory.

The "rat bike" look is popular in some areas and mine looks ratty with wires hanging out.

The Rich Urban Bikers (RUBs) really stare!

However, I have a design goal to make it look more up-to-date and somewhat custom. Most of the painting is done. The main fairing is giving me trouble. Large areas are hard to paint with rattle cans and the weather has be very hot until this week.

Gary,

Attached is a page from 84 owners manual showing fuel petcock operation.

Gary

Thanks! I just found this same info in my owner's manual.

The knob is missing because of the passenger floor-boards.

My bike has been on "reserve" as long as I have owned it and who knows how long before that. I got the fuel gauge working a few months ago and I have figured out when the second-to-last bar goes off leaving only one bar, I have burned 3.5 gallons of the 5.3 gallon tank. Now I know I have 2 gallons left with the petcock in "reserve".

I'll leave it on "reserve".

• 1 month later...

Update on my last update;

Rode 200 miles on Saturday and clocked 40.5 mpg. That's better than the Vmax average! We were cruisin' around 4,000 rpm and I decided to go from last in line to the front, just for fun. My bike is a beast above 4,000 rpm. It pulls like a locomotive! I am very pleased with how my Beast has turned out and I want to thank all of the guilty on this forum (you know who you are).